Post and Responses Regarding Workplace and Firearms

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Articles Collection Post and Responses Regarding Workplace and Firearms

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

The below article is something I came across as I researched others who have informed or were asking if they should inform their managers that they carry a firearm to work.

should I tell my employer that I’m bringing a legal concealed weapon to work?

Some of the responses are very interesting…some are terrified at the thought, others are pro-firearms in the workplace, etc.

Interesting read, mostly the comments.

Let me know if you have any thoughts, otherwise just enjoy the read!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I don’t go places that don’t allow carry and I wouldn’t work somewhere I can’t. Of course retired military with a pension gives me more options than many have.

If there was no legal obligation and no written company policy I would just keep it to myself.

On a side note; many comments about keeping firearm in car, if this was something done regularly I would recommend a locked box for this bolted to vehicle.

Corvette
          Participant

G.W.N.S:

Thanks for the response. I’ve grappled with this since my workplace doesn’t allow firearms or “weapons” of any kind. I’ve been thinking about bringing it up and seeing if they would take down the signs (I’m somewhat higher up in the company). We have associates that I would be…concerned about, and i’d really like to have my handgun with me in that event.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ve grappled with this since my workplace doesn’t allow firearms or “weapons” of any kind.

That’s a tough situation to be in.

Do you have any feeling about those above regarding this?

Are there just signs or is it written in some policy manual?

Do you know the history of this?

Insurance ramifications?

If it was just signs, could a they be removed as part of a paint/remodel job and just not be replaced? A sort of quiet or subtle change in policy.

The problem otherwise is that to suddenly and openly change policy could lead to an perceived endorsement of carry that might be more than company wants to initiate.

Corvette
              Participant

Basically there was an “incident” years ago and since then the owner has been somewhat against firearms, especially in the workplace.

I’m pretty outspoken about my belief in the 2nd amendment, in fact I’ve given 8 employees at the company their CHL certificates to get their Ohio CHL.

I don’t know if there is a written policy – it may be just signs and that’s it. Maybe i’ll find out about this.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The only other thought; maybe a long shot, but getting company to quietly designate a few employees as security/(whatever job is). This would allow at least a few concealed guards at workplace.

Just a thought.

Like many things it’s all in the proper sales pitch. :-)

Corvette
                  Participant

I’ve thought of that. I’m definitely far more trained than anyone else in the plant. Most have no training other than what I gave them for their CHL :good:

That might be the way…

whitebear620
                    Participant

I work at a jail, so I can’t carry at work, both for obvious legal reasons and the policy of no firearms inside a jail. But if I worked somewhere else, I would carry every day of work, if it’s legal, then carry. It’s concealed, so it shouldn’t be an issue until you NEED it. But hey, I’m just a stubborn clerk guy, so I don’t have any comments on the manager level things. B-)

Corvette
                      Participant

If it was legal, I would :good: In Ohio if an establishment is posted it’s “trespassing” to carry a firearm on the premises. That’s why this is a tough issue – yes I could probably carry and no-one would ever know, but in the event they find out, I could get fired. Kind of a high risk, although being fired is better than being dead I suppose :wacko:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

In many locations carrying in a non-permissive environment is not that big a crime, however in many it is a big deal.

If I was considering a such action I would do extensive research, to include discussing the hypothetical consequences with a competent attorney, whom I would also discuss what it would take to have him/her on retainer should I ever need representation.

This can be surprisingly cheap insurance should the unthinkable happen. There are many attorneys that will do this for a modest sum and can truly change the nature of events early enough to prevent things escalating more than necessary.

Most people enjoy a good lawyer joke, but I can’t stress enough the importance of quality representation when needed. Your life as you know will hang in the balance.

Corvette
                          Participant

If it was legal, I would :good: In Ohio if an establishment is posted it’s “trespassing” to carry a firearm on the premises. That’s why this is a tough issue – yes I could probably carry and no-one would ever know, but in the event they find out, I could get fired. Kind of a high risk, although being fired is better than being dead I suppose :wacko:

That’s a self fixing problem.
                            because you ONLY would pull it out if your life was in danger in which case you wouldnt care if u get fired or not.

Dead men need no jobs ;)

Corvette
                            Participant

Also to the original question:

Its easier to get forgiveness than permission.
                              Asking the very question may result on someone making a “oh yes I forgot to forbid the carrying of guns here” reaction.

Brian from Georgia
                              Participant

What the boss doesn’t know won’t hurt him!

riflemaniv
                                Participant

What the boss doesn’t know won’t hurt him!

Exactly

First Sergeant

I have had this conversation with several people over the years. There is no real “right” answer. If you can convince the management, that is the best way to go. But figuring out the approach to use is the key so it doesn’t backfire on you.

In Virginia, the signs carry no weight of law. If you get made, they can ask you to leave, if you don’t, then it’s a simple trespass or you get fired. Unless it’s a place that is spelled out in the law IE courthouse, school etc. I will not say what I do or don’t do, and I will not try to tell someone else what they should do. You have to make that decision on your own. Figure the pros and the cons and go from there.

FILO
                                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

xsquidgator
                                    Participant

Asking the very question may result on someone making a “oh yes I forgot to forbid the carrying of guns here” reaction.

I agree with this sentiment.
                                      With the knowledge and experience of most of the posters here, of course we’d look at allowing responsible CCW as something that makes us safer. Unfortunately, much of the rest of society has an emotional reaction against firearms being a piece of safety equipment.

I work in a healthcare system, and one of the physicians (physicians are the big cheese in a healthcare system) had death threats made against him by an unhappy patient. The physician had a valid CWP in our state and asked the board of the institution for an exception to the hospital’s rule against carrying. (Carry in hospitals here is not forbidden by law unless the hospital itself doesn’t want it).
                                      Not only did the board tell him “not only no but eff no”, but internally, the members of the board ridiculed him for being so ridiculous as to think he should be carrying a gun after someone threatened to kill him. Obviously the members of the board read too much New York Times but that didn’t do the doctor any good at getting the ok to carry.

I don’t think this kind of reaction is rare, I think it’s the majority reaction in most non-gun circles. If I truly was concerned that I might need a defensive gun near a work situation, trying to explain it to the buffoons on the board and to get their permission would not be high on my list. Better to not even have them think about the subject and do what you need to do, accepting the consequences if you are found out.

Corvette
                                      Participant

My workplace bans firearms.

Doesn’t matter, I’ve carried every day there for a decade. Never been even close to being made. I carry in a belly band at my lower abdomen and have an untucked shirt.

If I get made, I shrug and go freelance the next day. I’m also good enough at my job to never want for one.

Corvette
                                        Participant

I appreciate everyone’s input. It’s a tough one for sure.

It baffles me how people can think that putting a sign up will make a difference to a criminal wishing harm on others. Why haven’t they tried that at banks? A “DO NOT ROB” sign would fix bank robberies right? :negative:

Corvette
                                          Participant

Pocket or appendix carry a single stack 9. Appendix is tough with a tucked in shirt, pocket is tougher to get at, especially while seated. Ankle holster might be an option, although I haven’t tried that myself. I’m self employed so don’t have to worry about company policy but at times in the past when I did work at places that prohibited firearms a pocket gun was a good friend to have. Extremely small chance of being “made”.

SeanT
                                            Keymaster

I work on US FedGov property which means US 18/930

One interesting item is the sign displayed does NOT contain the section d (d3 is the one I like) with the exceptions.Section h takes care of that. Even if I could get away with d3 exception( I have not been able to find any case law where this was the defense), the agency I work for also has a ‘Regulation’ prohibiting firearms. I have to look up what the current definition of ‘Facility’ is because at one point it seemed to include parking lots or anything inside the fence.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have to look up what the current definition of ‘Facility’ is because at one point it seemed to include parking lots or anything inside the fence.

Would be shocked if it didn’t!

The only reason a friend of mine can even keep weapon in his vehicle is because of being at an contracted “off site” which is part of a building with a public parking garage.

Stinger
                                                I employ about 49 people and I have only a general policy about employees not committing crimes blah blah blah.
                                                The short story is that many of my employees (including me) will routinely or occasionally be required to go to an area of high crime to do the job. Also, routinely, many others will perform routine duties that may put them in harm’s way to a minimal extend. However, no matter what your job, during your work (just like your life) you may be required to defend yourself.
                                                I was asked by an “official” what my policy was about firearms and the like and I said, “I would never ever stand in the way of one of my employees legally defending themselves”. (Note: I have no idea who carries and who does not..they just have to follow the law)
                                                Perhaps the best route for you to approach your employer would be to ask him or her “what if we have shooting and one or many of us are killed and YOU were the reason we were defenseless. We were legally allowed to carry, we could have not been shot but YOU denied us that right? Think of the liability for you as the employer!”
                                                It would work on me. The STATE (yes the STATE) says you can carry and defend yourself but the wussified employer says no.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.