BulletProofMe’s Level 3 Plates

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Body Armor and Protective Equipment BulletProofMe’s Level 3 Plates

• This topic has 20 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Max. This post has been viewed 135 times
Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      onegunshort
      Participant

Ultra-light Level III PLUS
        Ceramic / Polyethylene Rifle Plates
        Stand-Alone

http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

What do you think of these? They are approximately half the cost of DKX L3 plates and the same weight, which means I can afford them in a shorter amount of time.

wheelsee
        Participant

The above is what I have….in a Mayflower APC (as noted in other thread). Comfortable, I am pleased with…. (and yes, I’ve worn them in training…all day….without issue – I hope I never have to “test” their primary purpose, just like I hope I never have to use my TQs)

Civilianresponder
          Participant

I have these plates as well. I’ve worn them and didn’t find them to be too uncomfortable.

Max
            Keymaster

This has been covered in various other threads (onegunshort – that is fine, but I recommend some back-reading). I have these plates. The issue is, simply:

They are cheaper because they are not actually certified by NIJ. They are tested to NIJ standards, according to manufacturer. However, they are not tested to the LATEST standard which means they fail the drop test.

I had these while DKX were developing their current Level III Plus plates. They were my recommendation at the time. They are A solution. Previously, DKX just had their level III plates which were only 2.6 pounds, floated, but would not stop green tip. Hence, I went with the bulletproofme (armourwear) plates.

Nw, DKX has their level III plus special threat plates, which are more expensive becasue they are certified by NIJ and also pass the latest drop (slam) test.

Spend the money, do better.

Also, a FS AAC PC is not cheap. Spend the money, do better.

I see you only have one taco on your current PC. You mentioned some justification for that which I did not understand. The Crye JPC has 3 x integral mag pouches on the front. If you get the AAC, you shoudl select the option for 3 x AR mag pouches. Or, you get an MVT SOR when they come back out.

I am not sure if you have been reading the lite fight concept posts, but you need at least 3 x mags on the front of your PC. Perhaps you are running a large battle belt? Don’t do it, go for a slimline version as described in those posts, with maybe 2 x mags on it.

I also think you need to come to class, among other things to bring you on page and have you interact with others to grok all of this.

Robert
              Participant

As Max stated the DKX plates are:

1. Actually NIJ certified, not some “we tested them kinda sorta similar to what NIJ does”

2. These are actually MADE IN AMERICA, just a few hours south of us in Gainesville, FL. Versus dubious country of origin with the others- “we are waiting for tiles from China” is the exact words the manufacturer (armour wear shysters) told me when the “they will ship in 2 weeks” order was FOUR MONTHS past that date.
                3. WARRANTY.

I could buy a Mosin Nagant for my main rifle also to save a few bucks instead of an AR or AK.

Civilianresponder
                Participant

Are the 3 plates from bulletproofme made in china? That seems to be what you are saying.

Robert
                  Participant

Are the 3 plates from bulletproofme made in china? That seems to be what you are saying.

Per my discussion with “Robert” at Armour Wear in Miami that is the manufacturer of those plates a few years ago when he charged us upfront than gave us the run around for 4 months on these plates before finally having to threaten a chargeback to get a refund-

“So you told me 2-4 weeks to begin with, it’s now approaching four MONTHS. What exactly is the hold up?”

“We are waiting for tiles to be clear customs.”

“Where are they imported from?”
                    “China”

Are they PUT together in China? Probably put together in Miami, but he made it clear the materials at least were from China.

That, along with the horrible business practices on top of the dubious “compliant” not actually CERTIFIED deal, made me RUN from them!

There is a website where you can cross reference and verify all armor plates to see if they have been actually NIJ CERTIFIED. Needless to say Armour wear plates were NOT on that list.

onegunshort
                    Participant

This has been covered in various other threads (onegunshort – that is fine, but I recommend some back-reading). I have these plates. The issue is, simply:

They are cheaper because they are not actually certified by NIJ. They are tested to NIJ standards, according to manufacturer. However, they are not tested to the LATEST standard which means they fail the drop test.

I had these while DKX were developing their current Level III Plus plates. They were my recommendation at the time. They are A solution. Previously, DKX just had their level III plates which were only 2.6 pounds, floated, but would not stop green tip. Hence, I went with the bulletproofme (armourwear) plates.

Nw, DKX has their level III plus special threat plates, which are more expensive becasue they are certified by NIJ and also pass the latest drop (slam) test.

Spend the money, do better.

Also, a FS AAC PC is not cheap. Spend the money, do better.

I see you only have one taco on your current PC. You mentioned some justification for that which I did not understand. The Crye JPC has 3 x integral mag pouches on the front. If you get the AAC, you shoudl select the option for 3 x AR mag pouches. Or, you get an MVT SOR when they come back out.

I am not sure if you have been reading the lite fight concept posts, but you need at least 3 x mags on the front of your PC. Perhaps you are running a large battle belt? Don’t do it, go for a slimline version as described in those posts, with maybe 2 x mags on it.

I also think you need to come to class, among other things to bring you on page and have you interact with others to grok all of this.

I am 100% onboard with buying one item of great gear versus accumulating “stuff”. I thought I was buying top notch gear in 2011 but my carrier never worked for me and the plates are old technology.

If I redo my rig, then I cannot financially do HEAT 1 in 2018, which is what I need. I have done five carbine classes and one long range class, but the last rifle class was in 2012. I haven’t trained/tested my PWS MK216, but have attended those carbine classes with my BCM Mid Length Mod 0 AR-15.

So my thought is to run with my craptastic rig with shorter straps for a better fit and go to training. I can always buy more gear later. Thoughts?

Max
                      Keymaster

Thoughts? You asked: sell the PWS MK216 (you don’t need it, you don’t need to ‘train/test it’), get the PC, come training. Read this forum more, in depth and back in time – I’m seeing a lot of indicators that you need to become more indoctrinated with what we do here at MVT, our mindset and approach, and this will be beneficial to you.

:good:

Max
                        Keymaster

Oh, and you don’t need a PC for training.

wheelsee
                          Participant

If the option is “buy gear or train”, your standard answer should be “TRAIN”.

How else do you KNOW what equipment you want/need??

How else would you know what you can get by with or not?

How else will you know ……..

I have spent THOUSANDS on equipment that ended up useless because I Didn’t Know What I Didn’t Know (variation of YDKNWYDK). TRAINing (proper, good) is priceless!! I don’t HAVE to have the best First Aid kit out there…..because of my education, skills, training, experience, etc, if you give me any medical situation, I’ll figure it out and how to treat it with the tools at hand.

Reiterating for emphasis – If the option is “buy gear or train”, your standard answer should be “TRAIN”.

BTW – many of us have trained with Max without a lot of equipment, including plates. He runs THE safest range I’ve ever been on (I’ve been on public, private, NRA, SWAT ranges for comparison).

onegunshort
                            Participant

Yup…my default is TRAIN. Two of my friends have trained with John Murphy at FPF Training when they had nothing. I told them to show up with 1,000 rounds of 9mm and the instructor would hand them a belt, gun, mags, etc.

I can convert that Woosatch to a chest rig. I picked up one each rifle and pistol single tacos this weekend as a result of reading posts here. I now have two single tacos, three singles with pistol tacos on them and three doubles. I have to research belts, but the one HSGI I am running holds like five rifle mags, two pistol mags, dump pouch, knife and holster.

Civilianresponder
                              Participant

I just saw armour-wear has filed for bankruptcy. I will need to do some more research as I was told the origin of the plates was US. If I was sold Chinese plates that would really suck.

Lloyd
                                Participant

I have spent THOUSANDS on equipment that ended up useless because I Didn’t Know What I Didn’t Know (variation of YDKNWYDK). TRAINing (proper, good) is priceless!! I don’t HAVE to have the best (insert gear of choice)… because of my education, skills, training, experience, etc… I’ll figure it out…

EXACTLY! The ability to “make do” is what you get out of training. Gear may be lost, stolen, or in your house when you are 100 miles away and SHTF. The KNOWLEDGE is in your head, and as long as your head is with you, you can “make do”.

edit to add: LOL… Ask Max (or anybody else with that level of training/knowledge) if he feels “defenseless” when not packing iron.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                                  Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

Civilianresponder
                                  Participant

I just received this response from Nick at Bulletproofme.com

Dear James:

They are not made in China! When that rumour first started I personally spoke to the manager overseeing the production to see if any raw materials came from China. Ceramic cores made in Italy, and all of the bonding and baking of the plate done was in Miami, Florida.

Thanks,

Nick Taylor

General Manager, ArmorUP L.P., dba BulletProofME.com Body Armor

Robert
                                    Participant

I just received this response from Nick at Bulletproofme.com

Dear James:

They are not made in China! When that rumour first started I personally spoke to the manager overseeing the production to see if any raw materials came from China. Ceramic cores made in Italy, and all of the bonding and baking of the plate done was in Miami, Florida.

Thanks,

Nick Taylor

General Manager, ArmorUP L.P., dba BulletProofME.com Body Armor

Well Robert Douglas at Armour Wear that was supposedly “the owner” is who said that to me.

Keep in mind your asking another vendor (bulletproof me, they are not the manufacturer) who may or may not have been told the same story. Both “the owner” and a gal there at Armour Wear were a little elusive on the whole deal.

The “tiles” he said clearly were waiting to be cleared for import. When I asked from where he clearly said “China.”

Keep in mind there is a difference between “made in China” and “some parts/components from China.” I WANTED the deal to go through, I wanted the product- ask Max, he was mentioning them to me and when I researched I found the manufacturer in an effort to try to source them specifically for the forum here.

Even their steel plates were dubious. The plates that were supposed rated as much as AR500 plates were easily 1/2 the thickness. The lack of real testing data and NIJ certification concerned me, having been in this industry for years I know the subtle word tricks people use- “compliant” means kinda sorta built similar to products that were tested. CERTIFIED means some real manufacturer thought enough of their product- AND YOUR SAFETY- to spend $25-50K to have them NIJ certified. And of course this process takes a long while as well.

It was only after 4 months and threatening a chargeback did they finally refund me. Does not surprise me in the least that they went Bankrupt- probably got sued. Sad thing is they will probably be back in business under a new name soon, cause that’s what dirtbags do.

Either way on the “made in china” or “tiles made in China” deal, they never had any real NIJ certification. I’d be more concerned about that than whether the tiles came from China. The Chinese things is kind of a minor issue compared to the lack of actual certs.

Civilianresponder
                                      Participant

Thanks I appreciate the info.

Max
                                        Keymaster

Ok, this is coming up again. In all fairness, Robert has a very jaundiced view of the armorwear plates due to his business dealing with the company. I originally spoke to Nick at bulletproof me about the plates and he was very up front. They have been independently tested by Nick and they are a great deal given the already expressed limitations, such as the latest NIJ slam test. I have been up front about that on the forum. The asshole Chad at Infidel started carrying them but branded infidel, same plates.

I think they were the best deal out there until DKX finally came out with their equivalent which is basically the same thing, down to same weight, but officially NIJ tested. So now, go with the DKX.

On top of that, I saw something at SHOT that may be a game changer. So give it a minute for verification.

idahocajun
                                          Participant

Glad this came up again. New year, new gear. Always looking to upgrade, add to the tribes war chest. Just ordered a set from Robert. Can’t wait to see what comes out of Shot Show. Keep us posted!

Strider
                                            Participant

Max, I’ve been holding out on buying armor pending news about the potential “game changer” you mentioned up to this point. Any idea of a timeline? I’m trying to figure the tradeoffs between buying now and continuing to hold.

Max
                                              Keymaster

Max, I’ve been holding out on buying armor pending news about the potential “game changer” you mentioned up to this point. Any idea of a timeline? I’m trying to figure the tradeoffs between buying now and continuing to hold.

I don’t know the exact timeline. Apparently they are getting me a test plate, which I aim to do a video with.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.