Pitching the Poncho/MVT Shield Tent

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Fieldcraft and Land Navigation Pitching the Poncho/MVT Shield Tent

• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 6 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 75 times
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Leatherneck556
      Participant

What are your arrangements for quickly pitching the poncho or MVT Shield as a tent? I hear that bungees and tent stakes are good. Anybody with pics of their setups and links to the stuff they use? I would like to get some good OD green bungees to use for this if they are out there.

Skittles
        Participant

Amazon has od green bungees. Four and eight packs. I tie about 3ft of paracord to the four corners and on from the top. I carry four 2ft bungees and four tent stakes. Between all that and trees you are good. I so mine like the ones Max displays on the MVT shield page.nothing fancy. Four corners down. Center of tarp up the angle it. You can also go up from the middle loops on the edge then tie the four cormers down. Makes more of an A frame than a pyramid shape.

Roadkill
          Participant

No bungees just 550. Make them a little longer loop around your anchor come back and tie a Blake’s hitch or other prusick sliding hitch. No bungees to wear out IMHO the Blake’s hitch is the best for this and simple.

nonconformist
            Participant

I’ve had success with a tautline hitch for this purpose.

Corvette
              Participant

I’ve had success with a tautline hitch for this purpose.

The Blake’s hitch that roadkill mentioned is essentially an updated, easier to use version of the tautline. Here’s an animation of how it is tied. http://www.animatedknots.com/blakes/index.php?Categ=arborist&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com (I do tree work for a living so this is stuff I use on a regular basis)

nonconformist
                Participant

Thanks Bearcreek-I like it and will use it.Basic knot skills are what save you from those bungees and other crazy critters!

DiznNC
                  Participant

The Brits we crossed trained with used bungees for quick set up in a patrol base. You could supplement that with 550 cord as necessary, but after a long patrol and it’s getting dark, and there’s a lot more to do before you rest, bungees make a lot of sense.

Also, they rigged 3 corners down almost ground level, with one corner elevated slightly. When combined with a “ranger grave” a slightly dug out depression, it gives you a very low profile shelter. The ruck goes up front, as your pillow/rifle rest, and bob’s your uncle.

The only caveat I would add is to make sure you’re not touching the shelter, for heat transfer purposes. This was back in the 80’s, before FLIR was a concern, so you need to balance the two.

Roadkill
                    Participant

If you get good with the tautline hitch you can do it one handed in the dark. The Blake’s takes two hands. Tautline would be fine for this purpose, although like Bearcreek I do tree work and prefer the Blake.

Corvette
                      Participant

Thanks Bearcreek-I like it and will use it.Basic knot skills are what save you from those bungees and other crazy critters!

I saw in your thread on trees for cover that you do tree work too. Do you climb on a tautline?

Max
                        Keymaster

I use 550 cord with Niteize S-binders (#3 or #4) and camjam’s onthe four corners. Only have to loop the s binder to the cord and tighten the camjam which is on the tarp side.
                          Tyler

HiDesertRat
                          Participant

MVT attendee last year. Never had experience with a tarp despite backpacking a lot in Sierra Mountains. Attempted practice in the western high desert, but limited amount of trees, especially close together. At class was not so good at creating a tarp shelter. My observation…practice pitching the tarp. Max uses bungees with hooks as I remember, small diameter bungee cord, !/8 ” diameter approximately. Quick and easy.

nonconformist
                            Participant

Bearcreek- No, I don’t climb. I’m a forester who’s scared to get off the ground. Lot’s of trudging in the woods! I do have an interest in knowing how to utilize knots for my needs though.

Mike H
                              Participant

Messed around with my shield today just using some cordage and tent stakes. Put my ruck in there. I’ll pick up some bungees and some more cord to bring to class. Have some photos. Last one is out in the flood plain looking back into the trees. Shield is set up right in the middle of the photo.

DiznNC
                                Participant

MikeH has got it going on. That’s exactly like the Brits I crossed trained with pitched them. They just preferred bungees whenever possible.

Max
                                  Keymaster

Guys has this really been lost to time?

I was light Infantry for a while in the 80’s. EVERY ruck had bungies wrapped around it, for rigging poncho hootches in the field. You normally bought a package with 2 long 4 ft and 4 shorter. Wrap them onto your ruck frame, poncho rode in the outside pocket so it was the first thing out and up in the rain. Gear goes inside before you open ruck so nothing get any wetter than it already was.

Its amazing how much gets lost to time, I really thought everyone living in the bush used them like this

550 was too slow, even with the cobblers peg setup

DiznNC
                                    Participant

Just as an update, after doing CP, I can tell you that doing it the Brit way is definitely the way to go. You pre-rig your basha with bungee cord at each corner. The metal hooks are simply mashed down, until they stay on the loop or grommet. You can then quickly roll it out and string it up to trees or ground pegs. The 550 cord is too slow and cumbersome. When you have a few minutes to stand-to in the morning, you don’t want to be that guy fiddle-fucking around with his basha while everyone else is down in the ready position. Knots are way too slow to un-tie in the morning, especially when you are cold and tired. This is definitely the difference between doing this stuff tactically and just doing your little survival adventure.

You can find good OD-colored bungees at any good surplus/survival store, like Ranger Joes, or General Jacksons. Get the metal hooks, not plastic so you can pre-attach them to the basha. Also, get the Brit-sized basha (about 80″ x 90″), not the GI poncho. You want something big enough to cover both you and your buddy, as you will be laid out in pairs.

A spare bungee is good to have as an additional line from the mid-center, to give you a little more head room. 550 cord will work in a pinch, just be sure to rig it for quick un-tying.

Max
                                      Keymaster

I just did a long beginners post about this very topic.

No offense intended but when this is a question on this and other forums the need was there for me to post it up

Hopefully this is allowed to link here http://quietsurvivalist.com/the-ultimate-poncho-hootch-post-living-in-the-bush-pt-2/

I really like this forum and its stressing the basics. This kind of thing on my board will give new people a basis so they can concentrate on learning the course materials from Max.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.