Pistol lanyards?

View Latest Activity

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Trajan
      Participant

I’m trying to gear up, and I was wondering what those of you with military experience think about using pistol lanyards. Are they necessary/useful for infantry work?

Corvette
        Participant

My pistol lanyard got tangled up or caught on everything. Just my experience your milage may very.

DuaneH
          Participant

Nope. They suck in the woods.

Limited utility in a SWAT/MOUT situation.

USMC-03
            Participant

For a butter bar LT lanyards are mandatory! All others use or not at your discretion…

DuaneH
              Participant

I was never a butter bar :yahoo:

Trajan
                Participant

OK. I thought I had read somewhere that the military were using them now, but it seemed like something that could catch on things easily. But I did wonder if maybe it would be out of the way enough if it were attached at the back of one’s rig somewhere.

So I take it pistol retention isn’t usually much of an issue in the heat of battle and/or drills?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

You would be shocked at the number of people that have lost pistols in the field, not just butter bar LT’s either!

I use a GEMTECH Tactical Retention Lanyard it is the only lanyard that I know has been engineered to have a programmed breaking strength of approximately 100 pounds to prevent injury in the event of entanglement.

For me you have either the choice of a holster/pouch that retains so well it’s difficult to get to or one that is easy, but risks loss of gear.

The reason I say gear is I’ve used these for more than just pistols. For me certain items are going to be tied to me to prevent loss.

Like many things, there are many different opinions.

Chris

first sign a soldier is a pogue….lanyard on his pistol

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Gee thanks :wacko:

Corvette
                        Participant

I use one sometimes in the snow, thick skany bush, or climbing. Mostly because I’m wearing out holsters faster then I can replace them. Generally its just 550 wrapped around the bottom of the handle fastened some how so not to get it the way or tangled. You really cant even tell its there. When pulling the pistol it simply unravels out the bottom of my hand, np.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I think a lot has to do with the environments we have dealt with,I have a lot of time doing waterborne ops. It’s a very unforgiven to items lost.

Or maybe I am just a pogue? :whistle:

Corvette
                            Participant

Ill be a pogue or a krapp bag or what ever, I dont care. All that is horse shit to me… :mail: …Like the old saying goes “even if you weigh 400lbs and are walking around the block you’re still doing more then the guy on the sofa”…

Corvette
                              Participant

I use a Backhawk! Serpa holster, which retains my SIG very well. I don’t use a lanyard because I don’t want it to catch on brush when hiking. I would consider a lanyard if I was expecting to fall of a mountain or something where I could lose the pistol.
                                Of course, the solution to that is… don’t fall off the mountain.
                                But seriously, I think I’d only use it if I was doing work on a boat. Got to avoid those tragic boating accidents where you lose all your guns…. :unsure:

WastedSkin
                                Participant

Lanyards were required if you carried a sidearm on my OIF deployment. Around base I wore a belt holster and it never got in the way. Outside the wire I switched to a drop holster and I found the lanyard getting snagged much more often.

After trying a few different mounting options for the lanyard when wearing my drop holster I settled on attaching the lanyard to the vertical strap that lowered the holster off my beltline and tucking the excess loosely between my leg and the holster. I spent a fair amount of time practicing my drawstroke to make sure it wouldn’t snag on the way out and I never had an issue with it doing so.

Would I wear one now that I don’t have to? Maybe, but I don’t currently own one. If you can figure out a way to use it without it catching on everything you walk by they are certainly cheaper than replacing a lost weapon.

Max
                                  Keymaster

This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

On the deployment where I actually had a pistol issued (typically in a rifle platoon, only the M240 gunners have pistols and I was a platoon sergeant) we were required to use lanyards. That said, as soon as we left the wire I removed mine because it tended to get hung up on stuff especially when dismounting from my vehicle. Not saying it’s not useful, and I dummy cord anything important to my gear, but the benefits in this case did not seem to outweigh the risks. I then replaced it when we RTB’d IOT keep the 1SG off my case. Us low speed conventional force types tend to be treated like children and we just do what we’re told (except when we don’t.)

Max
                                    Keymaster

This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

first sign a soldier is a pogue….lanyard on his pistol

I was never a pogue, but as a FAG (Former Action Guy) I still wear one. Nothing like seeing a pistol dangling under a helicopter to make you appreciate them.

Get one of the springy coiled ones and stuff the excess under your belt. It’ll come out when you need it.

Trajan
                                      Participant

Well I really appreciate all the feedback. It looks like there’s a wide variety of experiences and opinions. I think I’ll try one out when I begin training to see how it works for me. Thanks, gentlemen.

RRS
                                        Participant

Peace time service in the MC we were all pogues. But my Cpt had a spiffy shoulder holster he let us weapons custodians wear when on duty, now that’s the way to carry a .45 and it pissed off the lifers to boot.

RRS
                                          Participant

The guy who runs “weapons man” blog ripped on the Serpa holsters as being unsafe FYI

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I thought it would be a good time to bring this back up after First Sergeant’s Thread Helmet Counter Weight and NOD’s Tiedown.

I am a big believer in anything you can’t afford to lose needs a redundant attachment to you.

Your gear, your choice.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.