OR Bugout Gaiters and a Medical Warning

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews OR Bugout Gaiters and a Medical Warning

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

I may have mentioned these before in the past. I know I have had conversations about them with students at class. They are a set of low cut gaiters that are impregnated with OR’s Insect Shield. They keep bugs from crawling up your legs.

They initially only came in tan color. They now come in Realtree camo.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/bugout-gaiters-realtree/p/2643660885009

The way we used to prevent bugs from crawling up the inside of your pants leg was to blouse your boots. Nobody does that anymore. This is a way to prevent ticks and chiggers.

I have a set in tan that I have been using for a couple of years. I just got a set of the Reatree and expect the same great quality.

Now the medical warning. This is part of why I am reviewing the gaiters.

How many of you have heard of the allergy called Alpha-Gal? It is believed to be caused by a tick bite. It makes you allergic to meat and meat by-products like dairy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-gal_allergy

Different people have different reactions to it. Some can eat dairy, others can’t. I know this because my daughter has it, my cousin’s son has it and a friends daughter has it.

As we like to spend a lot of time outdoors for either training, recreation, work or working in the yard this is something you need to be aware of.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Civilianresponder
        Participant

Thanks for the heads up! That must really suck to get that. :negative:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Realtree camo.

I had recently added these to my shopping list. Great minds huh! ;-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…a tick bite.

Lots of reasons to protect yourself from the various creepy crawlers.

Take this threat serious.

Civilianresponder
              Participant

Team Realtree

Hessian
                Participant

I’d rather blouse my boots than wear gaiters.

I also treat my gear with permethrin and compression shorts so the buggers don’t get too personal.

Some older school tricks like Taking sulfur pills or eating match heads work as a masking agent. Wearing stockings can provide an extra layer of protection as well.

But between Alpha-Gal, and Lyme disease (both often cause long term health issues) its always nice to have preventive options in ones arsenal. I am just glad I don’t have to worry about blood sucking leaches in my AO.

Virgil Kane
                  Participant

Thanks, FS.

You can treat your own clothing, gear, sleeping bag, tent, etc… with Permethrin. Sawyer makes and aerosol spray and pump sprayer. You can also buy the concentrate at a farm supply store and mix your own and spray or soak your clothes.

wheelsee
                    Participant

Thanks, FS.

You can treat your own clothing, gear, sleeping bag, tent, etc… with Permethrin. Sawyer makes and aerosol spray and pump sprayer. You can also buy the concentrate at a farm supply store and mix your own and spray or soak your clothes.

I mix in a 5-gallon bucket and soak the clothes. Be aware that sunlight breaks down the permethrin. Some people can also have a mild allergic reaction to the permethrin.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Permethrin is good stuff, but it isn’t some magic force field either. Gaiters help provide a physical barrier for a more layered defense against not just bugs.

From July 2015:

One other addition, Permethrin. Get some and treat your clothes with it.

Yet he still brought up gaiters.

Consider why?

JohnnyMac
                        Participant

Also of note, is protecting your canines. Dogs tend to end up in long grass and brush way more than we do, and so more likely to pick up ticks. Depending of their coat, ticks might be hard to spot once they pick them up. One of our dogs tested positive for lyme last year during her annual checkup. Strangely enough, lyme in dogs is often asymptomatic. A short run of meds took care of it.

There is an oral medicine available for dogs. DO NOT USE bug spray containing DEET on your dog, it can cause vomiting, seizures and skin irritation. Permethrin is ok though.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Also of note, is protecting your canines

:good:

wesmc
                            Participant

I was in the woods clearing bike trails this past weekend, and my legs were eaten up by chiggers. I’m itching like crazy. I have low gaiters but they’re hot. Going back to blousing. Gotta find the old trouser blousers.

First Sergeant

You don’t wear these with your pants tucked into them.

They are not hot.

It is a thin material designed for hot weather.

As Joe mentioned above, all of my clothing is treated with Permethrin. Why did I also bring these up?

FILO
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wesmc
                                Participant

You don’t wear these with your pants tucked into them.

They are not hot.

It is a thin material designed for hot weather.

As Joe mentioned above, all of my clothing is treated with Permethrin. Why did I also bring these up?

I’m getting some. Chiggers have been tearing my ass up.

T
                                  Participant

“As Joe mentioned above, all of my clothing is treated with Permethrin. Why did I also bring these up?”

They keep shit out of your footwear?

tango
                                    Participant

Tubular webbing sleeved over the boot strap for added durability?

wheelsee
                                      Participant

Side note – regardless of what you choose, please do a thorough exam after each trip into the woods or even outdoors (as some cities have ticks, many with deer populations). Pay special attention to hairy areas (scalp, armpits, groin), behind the knees, and belly buttons. Don’t forget the kids and pets!!

If you find as tick and need to remove, see here https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/how-to-remove-a-tick#1

Specifically for Lyme disease – understand that an infected tick cannot normally begin to transmit the spirochete to its host until it has been attached for 36-48 hours. (per CDC – more info here https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/ )

Abacus
                                        Participant

While the gators are probably a better option than blousing pants over boots, boot blousing is still required by uniform regulations. As such, I made the blousing straps for my uniform and range pants both permanent and adjustable. I now can’t lose them, and I get dressed 1.5 seconds faster per leg in the morning!

Every variant of BDU derived uniform or field pants I have seen either still have that silly ribbon ankle tie, or the holes for them. This includes, ACU, ABU, OCPs, and various commercial copies of such uniforms like TRUSPEC’s TRU. If your pants don’t have the button holes in the hems, I suppose you could add them if you were handy with a sewing machine.

Assuming your pants are properly equipped with the holes and the ribbon is still there, take seam ripper and carefully pop the stitches holding it in. Then yank that silliness out. If your pants lack the ribbon, the button hole may need to be opened up with a razor. Do so carefully and then move on. Next, thread some shock cord through the holes in the hem of the pants and secure it with a barrel type cord lock. Tie a knot and you are done. If you cross the cord as you thread it, the result is a little cleaner. Just take the cord that goes in the left hand hole to the right and vice-versa so they cross in the space between the two holes like in the photo. Shock cord and the locks are available online and in most military clothing sales stores.

Unlike normal blousing straps with the hooks, the fancy velcro blousers officers waste their money on, the silly spring nonsense Marines subject themselves to, or going out and having the off base Korean sew shop install permanent elastic, you can adjust the tension for comfort with this method. Also, if you get the cord length right you can still wear the pants un-bloused without your new strap showing or getting caught on stuff. This means you can un-blouse your non-uniform “team coyote” pants in town to look more “normal” if needed.

marketgarden
                                          Participant

I also treat my gear with permethrin

@Hessian
                                            How often do you re-treat your boots/trou/etc with permethrin?

First Sergeant

I also treat my gear with permethrin

@hessian
                                              How often do you re-treat your boots/trou/etc with permethrin?

If it’s the same stuff I use, I get mine at Walmart in the sporting goods section. It last for 6 or 8 washes I think. The you have to treat it again.

FILO
                                              Je ne regrette rien
                                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

marketgarden
                                              Participant

@firstsergeant
                                                Thanks for the reply.

I’ve tried the kind they sell at WM as well. I follow the application instructions, but I haven’t been convinced of its effectiveness–even well short of 6-8 washes.

I know Permethrin is supposed to be lethal to bugs, and I understand it got approval for the “repellent” label because it supposedly kills them “fast enough” (whatever that means). However, I’ve found ticks well on their way up my (treated) trousers. Maybe they died after I flicked them off, but I didn’t wait to let them start chewing on me.

Just wondering if there’s something else at work here besides “6-8 washes”, like gradually degrading after application (exposure to air or salt/sweat or whatever). That would apply mostly for things like summer-weight clothing stored over the winter and/or to boots/gaiters/headwear/gear.

Maybe I should do something like “reapply every ___ weeks, regardless”.

wheelsee
                                                Participant

Buy Permethrin at Tractor Supply https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-10-1-pt?cm_vc=-10005 and follow directions. I soak my pants and shirts and socks in it, then let air dry (in the shade). Usually do once a year.

Anonymous
                                                  Inactive

I wonder if they’d be good for sand flies? God, I hated those little bastards. They make mosquitoes look fun.

Hessian
                                                    Participant

I use Sawyer spray on the outside of my clothes and socks. The bottle says it lasts for 6 weeks or 6 washes. Typically I re-spray every month or as needed.

marketgarden
                                                      Participant

@hessian and @wheelsee
                                                        Thanks for the feedback

@wheelsee — Good to know that TSC sells the “weapons grade” concentrate. They’re just down the road from me. Thanks!

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.