Must Read before buying too much medical stuff

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Medical Care Must Read before buying too much medical stuff

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      DuaneH
      Participant

WRSA ran a series of articles on supplying a grid down hospital and an MD chimed in on what he thinks about it.

The crux of the article is that training trumps equipment everytime and that if you don’t have training then all the equipment in the world will not help you.

Although if you have the money there is nothing wrong with laying in equipment and such on the anticipation that you might recruit a medical person at a later date. But then, if you have the money why didn’t you get training?

A Training & Education Caveat From An MD

HiDesertRat
        Participant

A word of advise to those who plan on buying “fish antibiotics” and similiar from livestock feed stores for their supplies, as of Jan 1, 2017, those items will require a veterinarians Rx or a VFD, vetinerary feed directive, whatever that means. As per the FDA. Link provided.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/UCM482258.pdf

Also, for medical supplies, check large feed/livestock vendors, many items, i.e. dressings, sterile goods, instruments, syringes etc can be purchased much cheaper than the regular presumed sources for such things. And most of it is the same exact item, manufacturer.

DuaneH
          Participant

A word of advise to those who plan on buying “fish antibiotics” and similiar from livestock feed stores for their supplies, as of Jan 1, 2017, those items will require a veterinarians Rx or a VFD, vetinerary feed directive, whatever that means. As per the FDA. Link provided.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/UCM482258.pdf

Also, for medical supplies, check large feed/livestock vendors, many items, i.e. dressings, sterile goods, instruments, syringes etc can be purchased much cheaper than the regular presumed sources for such things. And most of it is the same exact item, manufacturer.

My interpretation is that it only applies to animal feed.

jmj
            Participant

Looking at the list, it looks like it’s not a 100% ban, just select items. For example Amoxicillin isn’t on there. But I suspect it’s a matter of time.

HiDesertRat
              Participant

jmj,

Penicillin is listed, amoxicillin won’t be far behind I’m sure.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.