More on Situational Awareness

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership More on Situational Awareness

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

Couple of days ago I went to the convenience store that is in my community. It’s not far from my house, but it is the only store close. Anything else is 12 miles one direction and 11 miles the other.

As I stepped in the door you could cut the tension with a knife. There is one guy up by the register pacing back and forth and another guy in the back by the drink coolers. The guy working the register and the girl working the deli both had “that look” on there faces. I know both of them. I asked the girl if everything was OK and she said yes, the guy at the register said the same thing. I kept my eye on both and went and got a drink out of the cooler and hung out.

I know neither of them carry.

The guy at the register finally left. As he walked out the door he said to the deli girl “fuck you, you redneck bitch”. His baby mama and kids were still inside, she apologized and left.

The deli girl finally told me what happened. The guy pacing had come in and started going off on the other guy saying he was going to kick his ass, etc. Deli girl got in the middle of it and stopped it. I kept an eye on the parking lot until loudmouth left.

My point with all this? Several other people came in during all this and never noticed a thing. Had no clue that anything was going on.

You have got to pay attention to your surroundings. You don’t get to make an appointment for bad things to happen. It will come at you sideways. The more you have your head up and be proactive, the less chance you will be completely surprised.

FILO
      Signal Out, Can You Identify
      Je ne regrette rien
      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Excellent example.

If you truly learn this you’ll be shocked at what goes on around you, it’s amazing how unaware most are.

Another application is learning to be naturally quiet, calm, and practice using angles to avoid others peripheral vision. This combined with others lack of awareness makes for interesting observation and applications when necessary.

This is an acquired skill that becomes second nature and appears to be natural to all but the most skilled observers.

The speed things can change is another thing to prepare for.

Practice awareness it may save you and those you care about lives.

A_A_Ron2guns
      Participant

No one pays attention. I’ve literally had people trip over me during a fight.

Scott G
      Participant

I am trying to get better at this and have recent noticed some concealed carriers on mass transit. I try to be aware of my surroundings but it isn’t easy to be “switched on” all the time. I am trying to make it a habit so I don’t have to think about it as much.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something to keep in mind always.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.