Max Talk 018: Mission Focus & Will To Win

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 018: Mission Focus & Will To Win

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Lloyd. This post has been viewed 54 times
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Lloyd
        Participant

:good:

MVT Texas 2015-2020
          Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

JohnnyMac
          Participant

There’s also something to be said for the confidence that comes from being in a “hurtlocker” and getting through it by sheer mental fortitude. From that point forward, you have that as a reference point, to draw from in times of suck.

Keep in mind, you do not need to be in the military, or attend a formal event, to gain the benefits. For example, for someone grossly overweight with no fitness habits, a simple 4 mile walk might put them into the hurtlocker. The idea is taking something on that you know is well beyond your current ability (without causing serious damage), and persevering through it, despite the protests from your body.

“The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it? It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar.”

*disclaimer: rhabdo is real

Lloyd
            Participant

Good point, JohnnyMac!

As I was watching this, Max’s “war story” about the 40 mile ruck march brought back memories of several roughly equivalent incidents I had to go through while working as a hunting guide in a wilderness area in Idaho 20-something years ago. For me, the choice was keep going, or literally quit and die… there was no option for voluntary withdrawal.

Something else that came to mind was my little boys doing “run-n-guns” in the West Texas sun, in August, at the age of 10. Yeah, they were NOT doing a 40 mile ruck march, but they were little kids toughing it out over a 5 mile course, packing 15-20 lbs of rifle, ammo, and water, in 100 degree weather. That has got to be a character building exercise!

MVT Texas 2015-2020
              Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.