Max Talk 015: Escalation of Force & Target Discrimination

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 015: Escalation of Force & Target Discrimination

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

JohnnyMac
        Participant

“it must have been pretty bad on the FOB when you were stacking bodies” ….hahahahaha, well done sir, and expert dry british delivery

This was a really good discussion, that people really don’t speak honestly about in public. The maturity and professionalism you brought to it was top.

Also, mentioning the FoF stuff was really good, people just really don’t have a clue with this. The pew pew crowd think they’re training it with colors and shapes, but that’s really tic-tac-toe (let alone checkers or chess). Target discrimination is something that only comes with experience (that is admittedly hard to get outside of FoF)

Max
          Keymaster

YouTube comment:

@ 19:19 Ummm, yeah. :-) Not at all what I expected, but perhaps if it was noted it was for “professionals” rather than civilian application, or for SHTF-situations I wouldn’t have been dissapointed. Figured it would be more about what you touched on @ 17:00 or so, i.e. school-shootings and malls.

As you noted, in crowded public places, the biggest risk for us concealed-carry-types is figuring out near-instantaneously just who the BadGuys are and who isn’t…and NOT being targeted by others like ourselves! (IMO I’d choose to escape-the-mall-mayhem, in large part to escape such fellow firearms-travelers and to avoid becoming the target of the UNIFORMED shooters-in-Blue when they leave the safe spaces they cowered in once the shooting stops.)

Perfect example that I did not tell him what he thought he was going to hear. i.e. I did not simply confirm what he already thought he knew. So he thought he would educate me back by trotting out his learned wisdom. Classic.

JohnnyMac
            Participant

:wacko: I don’t know that they even absorbed what you were saying. Just some classic ego stroking I think.

William Crowe
              Participant

“If you’re in fear, you’re NOT going to exercise good judgment”

Money quote…..not just as it relates to FonF but in everyday life.

In the ED, it’s one reason why new people aren’t allowed to run codes, medical or trauma. The fear of the situation can be palpable but the cool collectedness of an experienced person shows in the decisions made and the tone of voice.

Max
                Keymaster

:wacko: I don’t know that they even absorbed what you were saying. Just some classic ego stroking I think.

It is very interesting. I kind of got a little tired of my own asking the question about why MVT can’t generally break out. It is what it is at this point. I will continue to be reaching out so that those few who are worth it can find out about us.

It really almost seems to me that these guys just cannot see it. It is like MVT is invisible to them. Perhaps it is an intelligence thing? Most people are dumb as rocks, and then we get Hessian’s point in the other threads about how my videos are different from other gun channels and how I should perhaps exhibit more bravado. He is probably right in terms of what is needed to get the attention of the broad internet. But that is not us, and that is not professional.

It isn’t even YDKWYDK. It is almost like they know so little, and are so dumb, that we are invisible.

JohnnyMac
                  Participant

I’ve been wracking my brain, trying to understand the response myself.

There’s an awful lot of hero worship in “the industry”. You’ll often even see guys apologizing in advance of a statement they make, that they are “just a civilian”. I think this guy, probably like many others, don’t think that the training MVT provides applies to them or that they “aren’t good enough” (aka “why do I need to know that, I’m just a civilian”). The choice to pursue excellence in a wide variety of martial skillsets is one of ethos. To be capable of identifying the warrior path, instead of merely living in a fantasy, requires maturity, self awareness and initiative (three things generally lacking).

Many are not interested in even thinking about scenarios outside of run-of-the-mill violent crime, home defense or active shooter, let alone deciding to travel down a path to becoming proficient in things like raid, ambush, etc. There’s also the “defense” mentality. Some people just can’t wrap their minds (or heart) around offensive maneuvers, even if they can’t verbalize it.

I think maybe the untapped potential could be young veterans, despite the hurdles that might exist with that segment.

Hessian
                    Participant

Max – I believe its partially due to ignorance of the general populace.They believe that one day the balloon gonna go up and that they will make this transformation to be like their forefathers in the colonial militia of the 18th century. I’ve seen guys show up on flat ranges and have to take a seat and sit out for a bit because standing for 8 hours on a range is just too much physical work for them. I don’t see these same individuals to know what MVT is offering is worth every penny, even to those with military experience.

As for my previous comments, I believe you can use YouTube as a marketing tool but most of your leads will come from word of mouth.

JohnnyMac – your comment about the warrior path and fantasy are completely true and thanks to YT and the “gram” these lines get blurred quickly to the uninitiated.

Thinking of such scenarios is very small among the public. Again, many people believe owning a firearm gives them an advantage. Static or flat range time gives them more of a leg up… and that is all they need so survive a battle like Fallujah, or a conflict like whats going on in Ukraine.

For myself if it wasn’t for some past experiences I would also gloss over MVTs value in going beyond high speed flat range glory.

Max should possibly get to some trade shows like SHOT and the Great American Outdoor show. Possibly highlight the UTM simunition aspect as I don’t know of many places that offer it on such a large scale like MVT. Veteran out reach might help, as well as law enforcement.

Brushpopper
                      Participant

Great talk all around! The comment on people going crazy when they first use UTM was a great reminder. On the flip side I got “killed” right out of the box for not having enough or no suppressive fire, I was more hesitant to shoot at first. One of the elements I liked best was Max walking in among on the incoming rounds, target discrimination!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.