Max Talk 005: Jungle Lane: Contact!

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 005: Jungle Lane: Contact!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster
        William Crowe
        Participant

:good:

Brian from Georgia
          Participant

Nice demo.

jim
            Participant

Nice. Wang is a good cameraman.

JustARandomGuy
              Participant

:good:

Keeper
                Participant

Great Demo
                  thanks

veritas556
                  Participant

Max: tactical question… you looked to have been heading (call in north) on your initial patrol. You encountered a threat NE (more or less right flank) and then proceeded in that direction where you encountered more threats. How far would you go off the original azimuth to probe threats from the flank if means getting further from the original destination/rally point?

Max
                    Keymaster

That’s a non-question, seeking absolutes. I followed the route of the jungle walk, which was the route of the jungle walk. It was always intended that I would go that route up the valley, and the enemy are positioned to practise the training objetives. There is no decison making other than follow the jungle lane route.

Similar to saying you would not walk down a track, when you are supoosed to walk down it to be engaged by the pop-ups so you can practise the break contact right drill that is being trained. Something idiots on WRSA cannot comprehend.

veritas556
                      Participant

Not seeking absolutes at all. If you were headed North say and encountered bad guys on your right flank (East) – how far would you go to investigate the depth of the threat where it might take you far off your planned route? In other words, how far away from the original objective do you go assuming there was somewhere else you had to be? Do you plow through until there were no additional contacts then backtrack to the original route? Just as there is a limit of exploitation on an ambush, is there one for unintended bumps on the way patrolling to a fixed destination?

Max
                        Keymaster

I thought I answered the question. I am not off the route. I am on the route of the jungle walk. The walk is designed to practise certain training objectives. The scenario was given to support the training objective, and was that you had to move on that route to the rally point, and react to / kill any enemy you came across.

There is nothing in there about moving off any routes, or depth, or investigating. This isnhow jungle lanes run. If you wanted to rabbit hole it, you would not go anywhere off your route, because your route is to the rally point. But the exwrcise is to practise RTR drills. There is no decision making such as ‘there are a whole bunch of enemy in this valley so I will go another way.’

So this point goes nowhere. Jungle lane. Single route. Targets to practise observation and RTR.

veritas556
                          Participant

No I get the training point of it. I’m asking about the real world when there isn’t a predetermined training lane!

veritas556
                            Participant

ie: Fireteam is tasked to link up with another group for “whatever mission” 3 clicks North. Half way there we bump enemy to the right flank. Is there a general limit to how far your group should go off route to exploit enemy?

JohnnyMac
                              Participant

If I may…

@veritas556 There are so many factors that would go into the decision in a real life sense that it’s almost impossible to give an answer. Some of those factors off the top of my head:
                                -what’s your mission? (you could be patrolling, you could be QRF’ing, running like a raped ape, etc)
                                -who is your enemy? (what is there estimated size, composition, capabilities, location of main force, etc)
                                -what terrain are you on?
                                -what’s the capabilities/status/etc of your team
                                -what are your time constraints?
                                -any civil considerations to keep in mind? (risking hurting civilians, damaging critical civil assets, etc)
                                -other friendlies or obstacles that you wouldn’t want to go near (risking blue-on-blue or say, something like a minefield)

veritas556
                                Participant

Ok, I get this was a stupid question now – too many variables. I guess it was coming from recent CQB exp. where there is some general doctrinal stuff. ie: don’t go into center of room, hug walls, dominate corners, get out of doorway, etc. :good:

Jamison
                                  Participant

If I may…

@veritas556 There are so many factors that would go into the decision in a real life sense that it’s almost impossible to give an answer. Some of those factors off the top of my head:
                                    -what’s your mission? (you could be patrolling, you could be QRF’ing, running like a raped ape, etc)
                                    -who is your enemy? (what is there estimated size, composition, capabilities, location of main force, etc)
                                    -what terrain are you on?
                                    -what’s the capabilities/status/etc of your team
                                    -what are your time constraints?
                                    -any civil considerations to keep in mind? (risking hurting civilians, damaging critical civil assets, etc)
                                    -other friendlies or obstacles that you wouldn’t want to go near (risking blue-on-blue or say, something like a minefield)

METT-TC!!!

Mission
                                    Enemy
                                    Terrain
                                    Troops
                                    Time
                                    Civilian Considerations

Perfect!!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.