MACV RECONDO School

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Information & Intelligence MACV RECONDO School

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Though this school was run by MACV, candidates came from many airborne units to infantry divisions. Graduation culminated in a real combat mission which to my knowledge was the only US school to have such a requirement. RECONDO had a very high attrition rate.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Max’s excellent thread Royal Marines Mountain leader Course Selection (BBC 1985) preceded this by a bit and I didn’t want to take away from either so I hid this temporarily.

For those who have watched all of the Mountain leader Course videos, note the similarities despite the completely different operational environments.

I believe there is much that can be gleaned from by both the RECONDO and LRRP methods, both due to their small size (particularly pre-Ranger) and value of Intelligence they produced.

I am not a fan of the current reliance on tech over people for Intel collection.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With the renewed interest in this subject matter I thought this might be a good time to bump this thread.

It got little traction when I first posted it. ;-)

GreenTip
              Participant

Larry Chambers wrote a book in the 90s about the Recondo school in Vietnam. He attended and was an LRRP. Great book and very interesting school. I seem to recall it was common to make contact while on training missions. As the were in Vietnam during the war.

Healthhokie
                Participant

I exchanged some messages with the First Sargent about this guy.

He was a very close family friend. My uncle and him got in trouble for shaving a mouthy hippy’s head in a bar in WV. Needless to say the law was supportive! :yahoo:

Joe Alderman

Died of cancer related to Agent Orange exposure..

tango
                  Participant

Though this school was run by MACV, candidates came from many airborne units to infantry divisions. Graduation culminated in a real combat mission which to my knowledge was the only US school to have such a requirement. RECONDO had a very high attrition rate.

Sexy IA drills with center peel @ 30:00

Max
                      Keymaster

So, you like the center peel? That will be part of the IA drills on the new reconnaissance class, based on Scott’s LRS training and going back all the way to LRRS / SOG.

We used to do a center peel on HEAT 2 back when it was Combat patrol. I could probably talk for a while on why I took it out, and when it is good / bad to use. There is a reason why we teach break contact front as we do on HEAT 1 / HEAT 2. There is also a reason why it is useful to run center peel when a 6-8 man team.

Perhaps I feel a Max Talk video coming on.

Are you signing up for the Recon Class?

Robert Henry
                      Participant

Trained with one of these guys for years when we were kids. One of the first IADs he taught us was the center peel.

I think they were keen to that because of the tighter environment of the jungle.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                        Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

First Sergeant

Many of the things taught at RECONDO school were later taught to LRS units.

As Joe said in the original OP, it is the only U.S. school that the graduation exercise was a combat patrol. Patrols got into firefights with real bad guys.

I have had the privilege over the years to talk to vets from just about every LRP/LRRP/Ranger unit that served in Vietnam, several of them RECONDO graduates. When we would talk about things they did on patrol we found out that we were still doing them in LRS units. The reason why is that those things still worked.

As to the Australian Peel(Max calls it the center peel) there are pros and cons to it. You have to understand those to be able to know when to use it and when not to. To do it live fire the way we did it you have to be extremely switched on.

FILO
                          Signal Out, Can You Identify
                          Je ne regrette rien
                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I had a chance to know a couple of these guys in Central America when Reagan was running things. ;-)

They were no longer military, but what would be called “Other Coalition Forces” just before I retired.

wesmc
                            Participant

I had a chance to know a couple of these guys in Central America when Reagan was running things. ;-)

They were no longer military, but what would be called “Other Coalition Forces” just before I retired.

Dick Meadows?

Hessian
                              Participant

@joe thanks for the memories.. the mid to late 90s History channel when they had good content. :good:

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.