Lessons (medical) from the Battlefield

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Med Gear and Kit Lessons (medical) from the Battlefield

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      wheelsee
      Participant

While this looks at more advanced scenarios (equipment, personnel, etc), the basic tenets are still there – STOP THE BLEEDING!!

Lessons from the Battlefield

Andrew
        Participant

Wow, good stuff.

D Close

As you said, Key video graf: Controlling massive hemorrage is a higher priority than restoring airway.
            SOF-T wide x3. Get to a doctor ASAP.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This is why I like to teach/learn beyond just set procedures, but how things work or interact.

I remember arguing this type of thing as a young teenager in a first aid course, there are times the ABC’s don’t apply.

wheelsee
              Participant

SOF-T wide x3. Get to a doctor ASAP.

I work in a Level I Trauma Center, and carry at least 1 TQ in my work bag. Still trying to get the concept of TQ use more main-line…..and yes, I’ve shared the video with leadership…..

Jamison
                Participant

Great stuff. The only thing I feel should be added, and I’m sure that Max has talked about this at some point. But as the first responder, the buddy aid, or self aid. Get out of the KILL ZONE!! Get to cover, drag your buddy to cover before working on him/her. Can’t emphasize this enough. Don’t get caught out in the open trying to save someone when you could be hit too. Then there’s just more casualties. If you’re hit, get behind cover.

You’ve all seen videos of people hit and not moving, or not being able to move out of the way of oncoming fire. If you try to work on someone there, you’re just a target. Smoke, suppressive fire, vehicles, something hardened and move away.

On the note of medical interventions, good shit. I normally carry at least two TQ’s on my kit. I need to get some more to put in various pockets. I like to keep 4 on me. Just in case. I use QC Gauze because that’s what I know. Does anyone know if any of the clotting agents are better than any of the others?

You’d be amazed at some of the stuff that you can do with basic medical gear, beyond it’s intended purpose. It’s all a matter of how creative you’re with it. I’ve seen the NPA used to create an airway with someone that had a similar level of facial trauma. You’d be surprised what people come up with.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.