Is It Feasible? (A1 upper)

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Is It Feasible? (A1 upper)

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 9 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 8 times
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

In my other post titled “An Awesome Week”, I made mention of beginning a AR pistol build. In regards to the build, and in order to save some dollars, I have a A1 upper with carrying handle. My question is this, is it feasible to mill the handle off and create a flat top minus the T slots? Pressures should not be an issue as the dimensions between a flat top and A1 model are nearly identical. Feed back and/or advice is appreciated.

Max
        Keymaster

A machinist could absolutely mill the upper for you. The main issue (I think) would be figuring out the right fixtures to hold the piece, that wouldn’t put undue stress on the upper.

I would look in your local craigslist for a machinist advertising work, and call to discuss the project with him.

However, I would be surprised if he didn’t want atleast $50 to mill it smooth, free hand. It wouldn’t be worth it coming up with the g-code for one piece. So… hate to say this, but probably more economical to buy another upper.

just my 2 cents. Good luck with your build.

JustARandomGuy
          Participant

What H said- before you get to the milling part, see if you can either sell it and use the funds to get a flattop, or you may even find someone that would want to trade- some folks still like the carry handle uppers, either for nostalgic or KISS reasons.

DuaneH
            Participant

Check out Palmettostatearmory.com. They typically run 39.95$ blem stripped m4 uppers.

I stocked up on the blemmed uppers and they don’t look bad. Some of them just have handling marks.

DiznNC
              Participant

Ditto on the PSA blemish sale. You’re gonna spend at least that much to get it milled. There are guys that still prefer an A1 upper for simple iron sights. Good chance you can sell/trade it.

Max
                Keymaster

Thanks for your opinions and advice. You have given me a lot to think about and I have decided to got with a true flat top. Will let ya’ll know how the build goes and of course the all important performance aspect of a done deal.

Max
                  Keymaster

Bought a flat top upper with M4 groves and a couple of smaller parts today. Hurry up next pay day. The barrel and Sig brace is on order. Speaking of the Sig brace, if you don’t already have one, you need to get it quick. After the recent ATF letter signifying that the agency deems it legal to fire from the shoulder from a pistol since the ATF cannot regulate how the product is used, they are flying off the shelves and becoming increasingly difficult to find. Just think about the SBR that you always wanted but could not afford the stamp or the waiting period, well now you can have it in the form of a pistol AR with a Sig brace model SB-15.

Max
                    Keymaster

For Eric

Max
                      Keymaster

The pistol build is going slowly but going none the less. Attached is the upper and mid length rail. Only three parts left, the barrel, BCG, and muzzle device (of which I have not decided upon yet). Also picked up the Sig-Brace today.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.