IR Laser

View Latest Activity

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Pinky
      Participant

All – Have a DBAL-i2 dual aiming laser (red visible and IR). Looking to pick up JUST the IR portion to make another rifle NV ready/useful.

Any recommendations? I’ve seen the Steiner Steiner OTAL Class 1 IR Laser in the $350 range.

Appreciate it.

Thanks,
        Jon

wheelsee
        Participant

Ill defer to Robert….

Brian from Georgia
          Participant

I bought an OTAL-C from Robert (jrhenterprises.com). It’s awesome. Very small, very light and puts a clear dot out farther than I’m comfortable shooting. White/IR flashlight gives any extra illum I might need.

The mount is return-to-zero and well engineered. I’ve taken it on and off frequently and it’s never more than a click or two off zero.

Pinky
            Participant

Cool, thanks, figured Robert’s name would come up either directly or indirectly. Will reach out to him

Thanks

wheelsee
              Participant

Cool, thanks, figured Robert’s name would come up either directly or indirectly. Will reach out to him

Thanks

Pinky,

Let us know what he says…… “Inquiring minds want to know”. :bye:

Robert
                Participant

So the GOOD NEWS- Steiner after saying they were “discontinuing” the OTAL-C this summer, later said they would “re-introduce” it this fall with a lower price. I asked what would be different- “it just won’t ship with a manual” is what I was told. That’s no big deal because Steiner’s manuals on the IR lasers have typically SUCKED bad- the DBAL manual covers at least 4 or 5 variants including the military only ones.

So good news- they dropped the price. Heck their wholesale cost was close to this as recently as this summer. So good time to get one.

BAD NEWS- LDI/Steiner has typically ran a lead time on average about 4-6 months on these. Yep you read that right. So you absolutely positively got to catch them while they are available, as production runs (historically) have been few and far between. I got to where I wasn’t really pushing them because of this. No one wants to wait that long for a product, I know I don’t want to.

That being said, they are some currently in stock. I have a few that aren’t already pre-sold arriving tomorrow and (supposedly) more in about a week.

MVT folks call to order or put “$350. MVT” in the special instructions if you order online (you are NOT charged when you first put the order in) and I will adjust price. That being said, I can’t guarantee availability long, so shoot me an email or call if you want me to hold you one.

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/OTAL-C-Infrared-only-laser-OTAL-CIR9056.htm?categoryId=-1

Stig
                  Participant

I am interested in getting either a DBAL or OTAL laser and would like recommendations from users. My use would be SUT in forest and high desert with teammates who do not have NOD’s. I have a head mounted PVS-14 and an Inforce white/IR light.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a visible laser on the DBAL?

Thanks

hellokitty
                    Participant

Very little use IMO. I have been told by a soldier in Iraq, they used visible for crowd control. He said when they look down and see a dot on their chest, they got the hint and went home.

I dont think the laser is powerful enough for target designation for team use.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                      HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                      FOF X3
                      OPFOR X2
                      CLC X2
                      RIFLEMAN

First Sergeant

The only time I used a visible laser while deployed was to point out something to somebody while in a house, compound or building.

I did it to make sure they knew what I was talking about or to tell them to cover it. Worked well if you had multiple doors and wanted to pinpoint one quickly.

Never used it otherwise.

FILO
                        Signal Out, Can You Identify
                        Je ne regrette rien
                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.