Influenza Type B: SITREP from a casualty

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Influenza Type B: SITREP from a casualty

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      SeanT
      Keymaster

Hey folks-
        I started feeling poorly driving home Monday and by bed time I was starting a mild fever. Fever worsened thru the night and woke up feeling pretty crappy. Crappy did not get better all day…it got worse. Did the normal,rest,hydrate,ibuprofen all day. My lovely wife advised that if I still had fever in AM, I was going to doctor because she has never seen me this sick. Another night of fever,chills,sweats and a terrible hack cough and sore throat later and off to medical we go. Get tested for Flu and I am a positive for type B. Apparently this season’s round 2 in NE and Mid Atlantic has type B kicking some asses.
        Working on day 3 now and I am still ragged out. Last night I wanted to rip my own throat out because of the pain from coughing and just swallowing.
        This is still very uncomfortable within the relative luxury of my home with assistance/care from my wife.

Some thoughts I have had over the last couple days:
        Since I had an actual flu test that was positive, doc prescribed Tamiflu since it was early enough.
        This stuff is 7.00/pill! 2xday for 5 days. If there was pandemic outbreak, affording this stuff even if you could get it would be very hard if you have to dose a family.

If this was grid down or worse, this would kill people. I am useless to my family right now and need to stay isolated so I don’t infect my kids.

I’ve never been keen on Flu shots in the past but I am going to reconsider that opinion.

Stay healthy friends.

Max
        Keymaster

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?

SeanT
          Keymaster

If you dont mind me asking, how old are you?

And I am in reasonably good shape and generally overall healthy.
            The second round of symptoms has begun ( runny nose, sneezing, etc)
            The sneezes are like a knife thru the throat.
            The only thing that isn’t exhausting is lying still in bed. Even watching TV wears me out.

Corvette
            Participant

I am sorry to hear that Sean.
              The actual Flu is a rough beast.

I get regular flu shots each year for that reason.

if something happens I dont want to be debilitated.

Of course the better you are at shooting when healthy the more likely you can still put up a fight when weakened.

I hope you get better soon! :bye:

JohnyMac
              Participant

Sean, sorry to hear about you having the flu…It SUCKS! It sounds like you and your wife are all over it and I am glad you have taken the option of being segregated form the rest of the family. It makes total sense.

Showing my age here BUT when I was 7 or 8 I had the measles or was it Chicken pox – I forget. Anyway, once the visiting Dr. reported my condition to ? our house was quarantined. Some folks came from the Board of Health and put a pink piece of paper on our front door warning visitors with what I had. :wacko:

My grandmother use to tell me about how she would sit on the front door stoop and count the horse drawn hearses that would go down her street in Perth Amboy, NJ. This was due to the influenza (I think it was called the Spanish flu) outbreak in 1918-’19.

The flu isn’t something to sneeze about.

Good luck on your speedy recovery and pray that it doesn’t spread to the kids. :good:

SeanT
                Keymaster

Thanks for the well wishes. I remember seeing the pink quarantine notice when I was real little.
                  If we get another 1918, we are in for serious trouble.

Max
                  Keymaster

Think about this from a retreat standpoint and the danger it would pose to your encampment. With every fighter indespensable imagine if. 10 to 20% were affected.

Gladius
                    Participant

From a physicians standpoint this brings up something I believe should be considered by all those concerned about SHTF situations as that use of vaccines pre event to reduce prevent common illness’ that would occur post event.

For adults make sure you are up to date on your dpt’s, Get vaccinations for Hep A (common food borne illness), Hep B (commonly blood borne such as transfusions, etc) and pneumovax (prevents or reduces severity of some of the most common pneumonias.
                      Children should be vaccinated per pediatric protocols.

Prior to the breakthru that antibiotics gave us vaccinations were our best options to prevent disease and in a SHTF antiobiotics will be in short supply.9

Corvette
                      Participant

Totally agree w/ Gladius.

Being well vaccinated against a wide variety of threats is an important part of anyone who wants to freely operate in SHTF

SeanT
                        Keymaster

Update:
                          Started to get some energy back yesterday. Enough to move around a bit and not feel like I used all my energy. So going into day 5 I am on the upswing for sure. I think the Tamiflu did shorted the duration for me. My doc was also concerned about me getting a secondary infection so gave me Amoxicillin too.
                          As Doc Gladius noted, antibiotics will not always be so available.
                          We try to keep a fresh supply of several on hand in case of emergency.
                          Cipro
                          Amoxicillin
                          Cefelexin

Maybe Doc could list others? And the nasties that they would be useful to treat?

Max
                          Keymaster

While I would not advocate self treatment if medical care is available, fish antibiotics are readily available from several sources and would be invaluable when medical care is not available.

Of course antibiotics do not work for a virus they do help the body fight off opportunistic bacteria while you body is in a weakened state fighting a virus.

aveighter
                            Participant

BBQ’d is correct on the fish antibiotics. I would suggest that anyone contemplating a stock of antibiotics for an uncertain future also acquire one of several good reference books on survival/family medicine and sit down with a willing physician and become VERY knowledgable on when, how and which drugs to use. Although they seem innocuous, improper choice/use of these drugs can be catastrophic.

Gladius
                              Participant

In my chats with other docs the following seem to come the top.
                                1) cephalexin or amoxicillin for gram pos infections I.e skin infections pneumonia rad & throat infections
                                2)cipro conversation a mix of gram ops and gram negs I e internal infection infections such gastrointestinal, prostate etc
                                3) azithromycin for atrpical infections such as tick and animal spread disease
                                4) septra for methacillin resistant gram positive infections ( pretty common these days of antibiotic resistant infections,

True potency lasts years beyond the expire date esp if kept in cool dry area

Hope this helps

SeanT
                                Keymaster

While I would not advocate self treatment if medical care is available, fish antibiotics…

According to my research, US manufactured veterinary antibiotics are the same as for human consumption. USP drugs are the same for humans as they are for animals.
                                  Do your own research!!! I am not a doctor or a chemist!!!!!!
                                  That all being said, I have used Cal Vet Supply to purchase some stock. As mentioned, look towards the Aquarium capsules..(hint)

Be aware of dosing protocols and just don’t be an idiot…..

SeanT
                                  Keymaster

In my chats with other docs the following seem to come the top.
                                    1) cephalexin or amoxicillin for gram pos infections I.e skin infections pneumonia and throat infections.

These are the easy ones to get. Not real expensive but mind your dosing recommendations!!!!!

2)cipro conversation a mix of gram ops and gram negs I e internal infection infections such gastrointestinal, prostate.

UTIs, your woman will benefit from this in an emergency. Again, mind your dosing!

3) azithromycin

Anything to the possible toxicity to *mycins as they get older?

4) septra….

Is there a veterinary equiv??

Thanks for your professional input.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.