How Does Your LBE support your mission?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment How Does Your LBE support your mission?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      DiznNC
      Participant

Joe brought this up in another thread and I think it deserves it’s own discussion. In regards to Crossfire rucksacks, this is a really good piece of kit, but, is it for you? That’s a good question. To answer it, we need to go back to what our likely or possible missions may be. I will give you an example. It may be that you define it as: “To protect hearth and home, by locating and interdicting possible hostiles, as far from home as possible.” So your last line of defense is protecting your actual structure, from violent home invasion. The next layer might be walking the dog at various times, to take a look at your immediate surroundings. Then you might venture out a bit further, even tying in with neighbors that surround you and seeing what’s going on. Then you might venture out even further, requiring either cache sites, or carrying additional supplies for overnight stays. You might even go on longer patrols, to check out a specific problem that has been identified by your previous patrols. We have all done this in training, as the sit develops, and you use the intel to plan your next move.

So where does our LBE fit into this scheme of things. Well, each situation is unique, so you look at where you live, and what surrounds you, and plan on how you might have to act. If in fact you have the ability to patrol out as far from home as possible, and this includes the possibility of overnight stays, then you might look at what kind of ruck would be required. As we have been discussing, the DG-3 is a nice niche between the assault pack and the great big bloody Bergen. For a true 3-day pack. So I think it’s a good natural extension, from your fight light kit, to the first step of some extended patrolling.

Now whether that is required, is up to you, and your analysis of the situation. Your plan well may be to hunker down, and let the shit wash over you, at least initially. Then you may venture out and see what is going on around you. You may eventually expand this perimeter until you can’t go out and return in one day. In this scenario, a good 72 hour ruck might prove essential.

And again, depending on your location, this might be woodland patrolling, or urban, or a combination of the two. So what and how you carry things may change to fit in the environment. For example I may be cammied up for woodland patrol, but then have a set of civvies to change into to go through town. Or vice versa.

So yeah I don’t want to give the impression that I’m just pimping rucksacks, without any regard as to whether you need one or not. I see a definite need for one in my future. You may not. But for your consideration.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Regarding the DG-3, there is no doubt it fills a niche between pack sizes. Based on Max’s initial video it looks very promising.

The question with any piece of gear is it right for you.

I am younger than Diz, but older than Max. So I have to be very realistic about my choices and expectations.

There is no room for ego in such assessments!

It doesn’t matter what I did “back in the day” or even last month, what can I do today and beyond is the issue.

Consider too not what you can do on your best day, but what can you do on your worse day!

For me that means understanding my limitations when it’s 98°F, 89% relative humidity, soaking wet, mosquitoes, gnats, ticks, leeches, hungry, and all the aches/pains of age. I’ve been sleeping in the field, pulling my watches so short periods of true sleep. Adding to this stress I am trying to keep my guys alive while people are trying to find and kill us while still completing a mission.

Fun stuff!

So again what can I do under those conditions?

If you don’t know what it’s like to operate like that then you better figure it out soon. Otherwise you don’t even know what your talking about.

This isn’t directed at any individual, just a helpful reminder to be realistic. ;-)

DiznNC
          Participant

Yeah good point Joe. Reality rears it’s ugly head. The hard truth is we might not be up for any extended shenanigan’s by the time we get to the party. And I fully acknowledge that myself. My role may be simply to pass on lessons learned, that were taught to me by old jungle hands. And do no more than force protection, while the big dogs are away on missions. In that case my ruck(s) will be loaned out to those that can really use them.

I have been training a few active duty guys that are trying for slots to Ranger School and SF selection. The old school jungle patrol stuff, land nav with map and compass, patrolling with hand and arm signals, rucking with everything you need on your back. It has been a real pleasure to train with these guys. But I am under no delusion that I could keep up with them.

But that doesn’t mean there aren’t many other guys out there that would have the requirement and be capable of carrying it out.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Don’t get me wrong there are old timers out there that can still do the “deed!”

There are twenty somethings that couldn’t without significant work.

Hell mental toughness and patience are major part of recon work, doesn’t mean we can skip PT, but we got to be realistic.

For us older guys are we the exception?

For the youngsters do you really know what your getting into?

Have we actually tested ourselves under realistic conditions? Over multiple days in the field?

Billy Waugh; who I’ve written about before, retired from Army Special Forces as a Sergeant Major February 1, 1972. Earned eight Purple Hearts!

Waugh participated in Operation Enduring Freedom as a member of the CIA team led by Gary Schroen that went into Afghanistan to work with the Northern Alliance to topple the Taliban regime and Al Qaeda at the Battle of Tora Bora. He was 71. ;-)

Not ready mandatory rocking chair duty yet! B-)

DiznNC
              Participant

Fucking A Billy Waugh is my hero. I want to be rolling with the G’s when I’m in my 80’s.

Incipient
                Participant

Gary Schroen’s book, First In, was pretty good.

In an initial stage; beginning to happen or develop.

DiznNC
                  Participant

No doubt, good read.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.