HEAT 2 Observations August 2019

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Essential Information for MVT Classes HEAT 2 Observations August 2019

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

Not many issues during this class. Most of that stems from the fact that all of the students have completed HEAT 1 and have figured out their equipment.

Two things did happen that I want to address.

A student had a Trijicon MRO on his rifle. On the morning of day 3 he noticed condensation on the inside of the sight. It was dead center where the red dot shows up and he couldn’t use the sight anymore. Game over right? Nope, because he had BUIS on his rifle that were zeroed and he was able to finish the class.

Couple of lessons here. Even good manufacturers have a lemon slide through there inspection process. Anything man made can fail. The difference is it is extremely less likely to happen from a reputable company. He is going to contact Trijicon. I will update when I hear more. Second lesson, he had BUIS on his rifle and they were zeroed. If this had happened in a SHTF situation he could still run his rifle effectively.

This is the first failure of a Trijicon sight at a class. I can’t say the some for other sights.

Had another mag over insertion. This is the third in a little over a month. This time it was a Gen2 Pmag on a Noveske lower. Student had never had this happen before. It took two of us to get it out. I am leaning towards a bad mag as it only happened once. If it was a reoccurring issue the mag catch may need to be adjusted.

There is a HEAT .5 class coming up in a little over a week. I am sure I will have more observations to add.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
        Participant

:good:

Pinky
          Participant

good info…I keep hearing that you don’t need BUIS. I sort of maybe get it with an etched reticle (i.e. if the illum. goes out), but if you get condensation, you are still hosed.

Thanks for the class observations, I read every one of them.

SeanT
            Keymaster

My view on that Pinky is that it is stupid easy to un-fuck your shit by taking the optic off, get out of your way and still have sights.All of us would love to have really nice ones but there definitely are affordable ‘spares’that won’t break the bank. One FoF my eoteh got hit and broke. I had irons AND THEY WERE ZERO’d BZ, gtg.I think the ‘debate’ comes out of the trend toward not using a traditional front sight ( which gets you 50% there automagically)

Hessian
              Participant

has all of the over insertion issues been with older Gen 2 Pmags recently?

First Sergeant

One was with a Hexmag and the other two were Gen2 Pmags. The Hexmag didn’t surprise me, the Pmags did.

Magpul added over insertion tabs on the Gen3. The problem with that is BCM lowers don’t like them. BCM knows this and has done nothing about it.

FILO
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Hessian
                  Participant

One was with a Hexmag and the other two were Gen2 Pmags. The Hexmag didn’t surprise me, the Pmags did.

Magpul added over insertion tabs on the Gen3. The problem with that is BCM lowers don’t like them. BCM knows this and has done nothing about it.

I had an issue with over insertion as well, back in Heat 1 this spring. The issue was due to the magazine having a part of the insertion tab worn/broke off. I am wondering if the polymer gets brittle over time?

First Sergeant

Was it a Gen3 Pmag? If so then they can wear over time. It’s another one of those things that you have to periodically inspect.

Do you have your magazines numbered so you can ID the bad mag and pull it once it gives you problems?

As I have said before, magazines are a disposable item. That’s why you should have a bunch in reserve. People get to attached to them, not saying you do this.

FILO
                        Je ne regrette rien
                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Hessian
                          Participant

@First Sergeant It was a 2nd Gen Pmag. After this incident I purchased a paint pen and numbered all of my magazines. A very valuable lesson that thankfully happened on the range and not in a serious situation.

AWS18
                        Participant

Update on the MRO. Trijicon stood by their product and paid to ship it both ways.

Looks like the seal somehow became compromised. They purged the sight again and resealed the unit. Seems good to go so far.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by AWS18.

CQB 04/19
                          Heat 1 06/19
                          Heat 2 08/19
                          CLC 10/19

First Sergeant

:good:

FILO
                              Je ne regrette rien
                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.