HCR 8 West Virginia (2020)

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces HCR 8 West Virginia (2020)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      JC
      Participant

Interesting

WV HCR 8

“…Whereas, In a spirit of conciliation, the Legislature of West Virginia hereby extends an invitation to our fellow Virginians who wish to do so, to join us in our noble experiment of 156 years of separation from the government at Richmond; and, we extend an invitation to any constituent county or city of the Commonwealth of Virginia to be admitted to the body politic of the State of West Virginia, under the conditions set forth in our state Constitution, specifically, with the consent of a majority of the voters of such county or city voting upon such proposition; and we hereby covenant that their many grievances shall be addressed, and, we further covenant with them that their firearms rights shall be protected to the fullest extent possible under our Federal and State Constitutions; and…”

Spencer
        Participant

Wow! We are indeed in interesting times. How does that work since most of the counties would not be geographically contiguous? Just curious.

DCH 10/2019
          H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

Tony S
          Participant

Although it’s never going to happen because the WV language requires the consent of the VA legislature (and governments never willingly let tax donkeys go,) this would be fantastic (even though my county would never vote to leave) if by some miracle it was allowed. The simple irony of how WV got formed and the pressing of the rights of self-determination now makes me smile though.

fabio
            Participant

I don’t read a requirement for Va consent. I only see each county/city would secede upon their own processes/vote (although I am admittedly ignorant of that process.) I’m sure the process would be similar to what happened in 1861. Counties/cities voted to secede from Virginia. They also happened to agree on creating a new state instead of joining an adjacent state. Again, I’m admittedly ignorant of the process.

Contiguous isn’t the problem you may think. For example, the Eastern Shore of Virginia is contiguous with Maryland. It is only connected to the rest of Virginia by a strip of cement.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

ARTICLE IV: STATES

Section 3

Clause 1

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Of course West Virginia didn’t follow this format and one could make the case that if we recognize West Virginia existence then in theory we could ignore Virginia’s as what is now known as West Virginia was recognized by U.S. Government as the actual Virginia Government in exile following Virginia’s move to secede from the union.

Realistic?

Probably not, but still interesting.

DiznNC
                Participant

I think it’s awesome and why not. After all the leftist gerrymandering of districts/counties got you in this mess to begin with.

Several states have islands, so what’s the real difference if it’s separation by water or land.

And yes, the irony of Virginia being broken up in retaliation for secession from the union. It’s Union-created state now offering to take in it’s parents, so to speak.

JC
                  Participant

I have read there are multiple counties in several states which have petitioned to leave their current state, but I don’t think any has actually done it, at least not since the Civil War.

And the resolution does state: “Whereas, Providing that the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia shall give its assent to any county or independent city presently part of the Commonwealth of Virginia having the opportunity and ability to do so, …

I don’t believe VA would ever agree to it. Still, I’d love to see a group of SW VA counties band together and vote to leave. At the very least it might give Richmond heartburn.

I love the ‘cheek’ of WV proposing this resolution, but have no clue what the chances are of it passing.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

but I don’t think any has actually done it

They are trying to be there own States, not join another State.

I don’t believe VA would ever agree to it.

Technically speaking West Virginia didn’t have permission either.

Ultimately this is an interesting distraction, but little substance.

Though I would like to see Counties go through the motions just because the political statement it would make.

It would be fun to see!

gramma
                      Participant

Actually, YES. VA gave permission to those western counties that became WV. It went to Congress; Congress approved it – then VA changed it’s mind and took it to the Supreme Court, who ultimately decided that because VA had given it’s permission it was constitutional.

I hate Wikipedia as a source, but this does explain what happened pretty well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_v._West_Virginia

As for this proposal, I’ve heard it’s been made for many years – because the last 3 counties to vote were Berkeley, Jefferson & Frederick – Frederick never voted and ended up in VA by accident or default, as a result. Folks I talked to in Frederick Co., were saying it’ll stir up a hornets nest with the Commissioners.

But, I always thought Western MD was a good fit with WV too. It’s HOURS away from Baltimore and a totally different culture.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by gramma.
                    Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.