Handcuffs and EPW Team Gear

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 460 times
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      D Close

Since taking CLC last year I’ve done some research on gear and procedures one might want to have and TTP that might be helpful for special teams use. The EPW team are those squad members assigned to handle enemy prisoners and KIA. During CLC we did not cover this in depth but there is some good info out there. METT is going to govern your specific considerations in this area but I see a need for handcuffs and other restraints to temporarily secure prisoners. In SHTF security operations you likely are going to be performing LE duties and I hope we incorporate some of that training into our overall preparedness plan.

I started training using the ASP cuffs. After speaking with LEO I was recommended the Hiatt brand instead. I bought several pairs. In many scenarios and using various rules of engagement (ROE) these are going to be better than rope or flex cuffs. In some cases you will use both metal and flex. I will list some vendors here. I hope the LEOs here chime in with TTP as well. I will link some vids that seem valid but feel free to critique.

https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/Safariland_Standard_Hinged_Handcuffs.html

https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/Safariland_Standard_Chain_Nickel_Handcuffs.html

https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/Cobra-Cuffs.html

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Just a few thoughts, hopefully our LEO’s current and former will add to this.

The best use of of dump pouches is for collecting items while conducting your search of a detainee.

Get over your shyness when searching detainees, a thorough search means everything! This means men’s junk, woman’s crotch, and breasts etc…forget everything you’ve seen on TV.

I recommend cuff muzzles whether real or improvised.

These can be used with zip ties as well.

Ear plugs/earmuffs and a corded hood/bag maybe of use.

Consider what you think the background of detainee is. Criminal, military, former LEO, ect…There are many with the skills to defeat restraints and generally ruin your plans.

When dealing with multiple detainees having zip lock bags to keep track of items found in their search. A sharpie to number detainee and the zip lock bag. A tape recorder maybe appropriate for high value targets or dedicated snatch missions. Do not allow communication between prisoners, unless a setup that is recorded for collection purposes.

Do not underestimate the Intelligence value.

hellokitty
          Participant

When it comes to cuffs, Do Not skimp on price. You are buying quality. Cheap cuffs are easy to pick and also to break/snap. Cheaper cuffs are made of inferior metal. You can break the chain and the cuffs themselves using the male blade of a seat belt, as an example.

FYI, if you use plastic zip cuffs, ALWAYS zip tie hands behind the back. Never in front. With training it takes less than 30 secs to get out of them.

Take a reputable course in lock picking, restraint escaping etc. if anything you learn which cuffs work and which ones dont. Also, a wise retired cop has lots of info on this.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
            FOF X3
            OPFOR X2
            CLC X2
            RIFLEMAN

D Close

This is link to USMC detainee manual

https://web.tresorit.com/l#L6kAGTyKH4yYpF15quymeQ

Training notes:

Maintain a position of disadvantage with *real* control.
              Use good jointlocks and armlocks, centering weight on suspect for control.
              Control the head.
              NO ASSUMED COMPLIANCE.
              Speed counts…
              “Perfect” doesnt matter.
              TRY to handcuff at the base of the thumb: “God’s notch” (instead of the skinny of the wrist) but the priority is getting one cuff on (any damn way you can) then immediately rocking for the other cuff.
              Then tighten, adjust, etc.
              Cuff tightly, and
              always double-lock.
              Cuff, SEARCH, and then secure or transport.
              Always, always search.
              Back up handcuffs with flex-cuffs if necessary.
              Handcuffs and Flex-cuffs are for “temporary, supervised” restraint; never count on them for long-term control.
              Second officers need to be able to provide real control (usually controlling suspects legs) while still maintaining situational awareness and officer/scene safety.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by D Close.
              Max
              Keymaster

Good interesting thread. I’ll leave comments on current restraint tech to those in the field.

Consider the following points:

– If you decide a PW has Intel value, then it is worth the trouble of taking them. But that in itself is a rally hard proposition in the field.

– Take maximum advantage of the “shock of Capture” to gain compliance and get them back to an interrogator pronto.

– Shock of capture can be exacerbated by rough treatment on the capture. Dominate. Demand compliance.

– Consider a hood. The is sensory deprivation and will also hinder any decision making by the PW to fight or try to run. If on foot, they can be moved under control in a standing control position. If antsy, being banged or an object or two goes back to shock of capture. If static, use hooded stress positions.

– Extracting the PW can be really hard on foot. Consider how you are going to have QRF come and recover. If the casualty is injured, medical care can also cause pain and help with compliance / interrogation. If the PW is litter / non-mobile then you may have to carry them out as a casualty anyway, which in many ways has advantages if you have a pole litter to which you can restrain them. Hooded etc.

Depending on your operational environment, the only reason to take a PW is due to intelligence. You are likely to take them as a side-effect of an operation you conduct. This they are likely to be wounded. And not killed on the assault through. What I mean by this is that it is very hard to plan an ambush with the aim of capturing prisoners. You get into a sort of LEO ‘getting the drop on the suspect” situation. So I suspect you will take PW either by accident, or a very well planned / executed ambush.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.