Foraging in Florida

View Latest Activity

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Her is an excerpt from a blog with some good info:

Foraging in Florida

Of all the “survival” skills foraging is probably the most difficult to learn, or certainly the one that takes the most time and personal fortitude. It is one thing to say “yeph, that plant is edible.” It is another to eat it with confidence.

Where you learn to forage makes a difference as well. The closer to the equator you go the harder it gets. (And if I remember correctly almost everything that grows in the arctic circle is edible, should you end up there.) When I say it is harder to learn I mean is harder to learn the way we do it now, more from books than growing up in the wilderness. The natives did not need books or botanists.

Florida, and perhaps Hawaii, are among the most difficult states to learn about wild edible plants. That’s the bad news. The good news is if you learn to do it in Florida everywhere else is very easy.

Green Deane has some excellent youtube videos and books available. He also has classes available here in Florida that I highly recommend for my fellow Floridians.

Eat the Weeds

Robert
        Participant

Went to one of his classes in Jax by the college and we also brought him in to a public campout about 5 years ago down in Ocala. Great info.

I need to take another class with him.

Good stuff.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Went to one of his classes in Jax by the college and we also brought him in to a public campout about 5 years ago down in Ocala. Great info.

Always great to hear some confirmation, he definitely knows his stuff. I truly believe this is one of those overlooked skills that could really make a difference, but is very difficult to learn by books.

D Close

GWNS, good blog you found there. I will add that to my list!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Green Deane has some excellent youtube videos…

Here is the link to his youtube videos…

…just remember to get some hands on training also!

He has around 146 videos available. :yes:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Time for another look, particularly for new members.

Groundwork
                  Participant

Thank you for the repost! I’ve been trying to find in vain thus far a book on Florida foraging. Great blog, and even better live classes. I’ve just missed the class nearest me, but I’ll be watching for another I can attend. :yahoo:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Under-appreciated skill! :yes:

Remember there are people to learn this skill worldwide.

norinco
                      Participant

I took a class from him in the Ocala area a couple years ago. He gave away perennial cucumbers, tindora, at the end of class that I’m growing now at home.

One of the best things I learned from him was something he told the class somewhat as an aside.

Paraphrasing, he said, in a survival situation the first thing he is going to do is not eat the weeds, but go find his first source of protein from either fishing or trapping game. So after he sets his first traps, he’s going to next go find his second source of protein, and while walking between those sources he’ll begin to look at what weeds to eat to supplement his nutritional needs.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Paraphrasing, he said, in a survival situation the first thing he is going to do is not eat the weeds, but go find his first source of protein from either fishing or trapping game. So after he sets his first traps, he’s going to next go find his second source of protein, and while walking between those sources he’ll begin to look at what weeds to eat to supplement his nutritional needs.

Excellent example!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.