FLIR Scout III vs Scout II?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Night Operations FLIR Scout III vs Scout II?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Sam Brady
      Participant

I am about to “pull the trigger” on a thermal imaging device/scanner. I need some information based on user experience. Both the FLIR 240 II and 240III are priced about the same. Here are my questions
        Is there a better piece of gear for handheld scanning? I would be generally using the imager for patrolling in the context that Max Velocity teaches and for use around the house for security.
        Is there a significant difference between these two units?
        Is there something better out there for the price point?
        Please educate me-I know nothing about these hand held devices.
        thanks

Robert
        Participant

“Is there something better” of course.

“Is there something better for that price point?” Not a lot of choices in thermal in that price range- Scouts and the X320 from L3.

The X320 from L3 does run off AA batteries, a plus for quick changes in the field versus the internal battery pack the FLIR models use.

Keep in mind also that the new FLIR models they just debuted at SHOT last month won’t REALISTICALLY be shipping from FLIR for a few more months. It might be on Joe Schmoes website already for sale, but even FLIR is saying end of April for shipment. Same thing happened a few years ago when they debuted the Thermosight line- debuted them at SHOT in Jan but realistically you couldn’t get your hands on one till summer.

As far as the difference- in thermal you are paying for resolution and processing speed, those are the big things. So you would start by comparing those. Obviously the more you pay the more you get.

I bought an IR Patrol a few months back, it has the highest resolution of any thermal I’ve ever owned, it can be weapons mounted, helmet mounted or used as a handheld- kind of like a PVS14. It’s built like a tank and uses CR123 batteries. However it’s a touch over $6K I say this for comparison sake. You DO tend to get more as you pay more with thermal.

Thermal has dropped in price and increased in usefulness a lot in the last year, it’s a good time to buy IMO. Now if NV tubes would start dropping in price….. But they have GONE UP every year for the last three. Which BTW, typically happens the first of April every year, so plan your NV purchases accordingly.

If you have any more questions let me know.
          Robert

Sam Brady
          Participant

Robert,
            Thanks, I will call you. I am at a price point of around 2000.00-2500.00 I am in no hurry, just trying not to buy twice!
            Is the III version of the scout better?

Mike Q
            Participant

I placed the FLIR Scout II 320 in my wishlist on Amazon about 6 weeks ago. It has come down from $3000 to $2000. FYI.

The 320 has better resolution than the 240 and a faster refresh rate.

Roadkill
              Participant

Just picked up the Scout 2. Seems to be a decent unit. Like Robert said it has internal batteries. You can get the battery charger in mini USB to carry in the field as a back up. I’m also thinking of a solar charger roll, both for this and rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. The 2 is good for 600 meters. The resolution is decent. We had thermal imagers in the fire service with larger screens and larger price tags, I think they were 25 grand, but you have to train with them quite a bit to be able to interpret what you are seeing. The 2 has three different screens to help with different contrasts for different situations. I spotted a squirrel with the red on at 150 yards. The only thing that lit up was its head. But, you knew something living was there. Unlike my NODs I carry this in my coat breast pocket because you can use it day or night. Going down the road if I see deer, or any other game, I pull over to see how they look. The scout 2 has a two power zoom. The Scout one has a snap picture mode instead of the two power. The cost is $2995.00 for the 2 which gives you 250 more meters and slightly better resolution. Like Robert says, you get what you pay for. So, based on your pocket book and maybe your AO,(if you think 250 meters is all you need)purchase accordingly. Hope this helped. Sorry they are both scout 2s, I’m talking about they 320 rather than the 240.

Robert
                Participant

“I placed the FLIR Scout II 320 in my wishlist on Amazon about 6 weeks ago. It has come down from $3000 to $2000. FYI.

The 320 has better resolution than the 240 and a faster refresh rate.

I just looked at one on Amazon for a customer that called that said “ORIGIN CHINA” in the item description.

PSA- The real units are NOT made in China…..

I’m asking my rep if their is any closeouts or related deals on 320s and when I hear back I will post it. I really find it hard to fathom right now because FLIR was STILL backed up with the November and December rebate offer sales as of a few weeks ago!!!

Robert
                  Participant

Their is also a small device called “N Power” that you can get at Walmart in the electronics section- it takes 4 AA batteries and connects to a USB charging port like on the Scouts.

I’ve run one of my Scouts down to almost nothing in battery power and then powered it directly off the N Power device via AA batteries and it’s worked well.

Honestly, unless we find out that some of these models are being clearanced, I would WAIT A FEW MONTHS to buy a thermal unit right now. By early summer hopefully all of these new units will be actually shipping from FLIR.

Sam Brady
                    Participant

Guys,
                      FWIW, Robert at JRH is a very ethical businessman. I spoke with him regarding thermal devices and he spent more time than he probably wanted to discussing some of my choices and concerns. He could have easily recommended something he has “on hand.” Instead his post above this one directly reflects his thoughts. I will buy from him. I appreciate the time and the honesty.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yes, Robert and his JRH Enterprises goes above and beyond when it comes to helping customers select the appropriate tool for the customers needs.

It’s worth pointing out that taking time with a customer; in my experience, is as much the norm there regardless whether your looking to purchase something high end costing thousands or even a basic medical item costing a few dollars.

:good:

wheelsee
                        Participant

I’ll second the recommendation for dealing with Robert and JRH……..couple of years ago, bought a PVS14 from him……past November, bought a FLIR Thermosight RS32…..during the fast-pace last week of rebate, Robert took the time to walk me through my decision……did I pay more than I wanted?? Yes, but I also got a LOT more than I thought…..while I paid a little more than had originally wanted, I got something that was weapon mountable or hand held, and had magnification for these old eyes…..I WILL be doing business again with JRH……..

Robert
                          Participant

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

Wheelsee- 1, I’m a big fan also of being able to weapons mount any thermal your looking to buy. Definitely worth ponying up a few more bucks for a Thermosight if that’s possible. You can use them as a hand held like you can the Scout series, but you can also mount them on a weapon, giving considerably more versatility for not a huge difference in price.

Personally, I have a handheld thermal as well, but most of my units are weapons mountable as well. Look at it this way- whether semi stationary like in an OP type setting or if using patrolling, your probably NOT going to be scanning constantly with it. So you raise the thermal unit to scan every so often and you see something, now what?

If it’s a handheld unit like a Scout, you have to try to remember where exactly you saw the heat signature, then try to acquire it through your standard weapon sight or iron sights. Depending on your arm strength, the weight of your rifle and how you have the Scout configured (lanyard or just loose), you may be able to raise the rifle with your right arm if your holding the scout with your left. Can you “see” the target through the weapon sight or is it partially concealed behind brush wherein you can only “see” him through the thermal? This isn’t even considering the target’s ability to move. By the time you transition from looking through the handheld thermal to getting sights on, the target could have easily moved.

However if it’s a weapons mounted thermal- you raise the rifle to scan a bit, “see” a target’s heat signature and you can immediately engage if necessary- cutting down on the consternation quite a bit.

Keep in mind however the placement in a formation of anyone using a thermal that’s weapons mounted. Why? Cause the person really should have at least 180 degree availability on swinging the weapon around to scan. If placed in center of say a 4 man team, when he raised the rifle to scan around, he’s going to be sweeping other team mates. Naturally the best idea may be to have someone so equipped as point man and/or as drag if you are concerned with a follow up. I’m going to assume you probably fish hook every so often and that’s a great time for thermal use also.

Hopefully what I wrote makes sense :)

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.