Finding a Analyst?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Information & Intelligence Finding a Analyst?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Sam what are the qualities, skill sets, and/or previous occupations that make for a good Analyst as you see it?

I know some have mentioned those that can’t fight being a good candidate.

However in my opinion, if I had a great team trigger puller, but was just as good at analysis I would be more than happy to lose his help in the field to work intel.

Good Analyst are harder to find than shooters.

Any thoughts?

JohnyMac
        Participant

When I worked at a pretty large retailer, we had analysts working for us.

We would at times several times a year work off-sight with the Co. analysts to help hone their analysis. We found out early that when a front line guy worked with an analyst (s) great things came out of the experience.

The secret is trust. Both parties have to trust each other 100%.

Corvette
          Participant

If we look towards Michael Collins (IRA) as the example of which is a better target, then the intelligence element member is better than the trigger puller. Under Collins’ direction, his hit squad assassinated numerous British intelligence officers and greatly hampered the Brit’s operations against the IRA.

Your thinking is correct. Without incoming intelligence, trigger pullers are really flying blind. You remove the intelligence element (essentially the brain of an organization), and all of the sudden those trigger pullers can no longer identify or find their targets (effectively).

Some good qualities are:
            – natural curiosity
            – ideological dedication to the mission
            – natural intelligence
            – knowledge of the threat
            – willingness to work on a team

We have to be willing to get into the weeds of data and sometimes go down the rabbit hole, whether or not we ever find the rabbit. Sometimes the rabbit is hiding just under the hole that we decide not to look down, and that’s where we miss critical information that makes up good intelligence. So just a curiosity to look into things that are suspicious will take an analyst a long way.

The analyst has to be ideologically committed. If I’m going out on patrol each day, looking for bad guys and kicking down doors trying to find them, then I want my intelligence support to be working just as hard as I am. Finding bad guys, and pointing out compounds that turn up jackpots is immensely rewarding, and your shooters appreciate that. What’s better is when you go on patrol with them to give ‘on the x’ intelligence confirmation, or do tactical questioning or tactical interrogations, and decide which turds need to get sent to the big house. I’m looking for commitment in my analysts and collectors.

Natural intelligence is a thought multiplier. Mental capacity is important, past obvious reasons, because those analysts who have it are able to recall small details and make associations that turn into large developments in creating actionable intelligence.

The greatest thinker, without an intimate knowledge of his adversary, is worse than useless. I don’t care how smart or how large an IQ an analyst has (or how smart he thinks he is), if he isn’t interested in learning every detail about the enemy, I don’t want him on my team. That sort of knowledge takes time to develop. An analyst of average intelligence who is ruthless in his picking apart of adversary leaders, organizations, and operations is worth his weight in gold.

Finally, no one is as smart as everyone. We have to work on a team because the amount of information we’re collecting is too immense to sift through by yourself. Team dynamics are important. If someone wants to be independent and work alone, I’d turn him into a Human Intelligence (HUMINT) collector. Otherwise, team work builds better intelligence because iron sharpens iron, and the team can act as a sounding board, thus removing the bias (hopefully) that creates bad intelligence.

Intelligence analysts have two jobs: 1) arrive at accurate conclusions, and 2) remove bias in their thinking. BIAS KILLS INTELLIGENCE, so among the greatest skill sets is simply your ability to question what you think and why you think it.

Intelligence collectors have two jobs: 1) find or elicit information of intelligence value and 2) report it back timely and accurately. Learn how to question people, understand motives (why people do what they do, and what will make them help you), and have a basic understanding of psychology. The best ‘deep cover’ HUMINT collectors are really just amateur psychiatrists who help their sources with their problems (believe it or not). In reciprocation, those sources talk about their problems and give out critical information by answering our questions in the process.

To reiterate, you are correct. Analysts are much hard to replace. Have you ever read The Squad? It’s about Michael Collins and his hit squad. Highly recommended. It talks about their targeting of British intelligence and police detective units and the devastating effects it had on British operations.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)
              Corvette
              Participant

That’s the one! Mandatory reading for all FREEFOR, in my opinion.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.