Factory Permethrin Treatment for Your Clothing

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Uniforms, Clothing and Footgear Factory Permethrin Treatment for Your Clothing

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      RightBob
      Participant

This topic came up during the April Heat 1 class.

The prevalence of ticks and Lyme disease makes treating your outdoor clothing with permethrin desirable.

If you hand spray your garments the treatment lasts about seven washes. I have sent some of my clothing to http://www.insectshield.com for the factory permethrin treatment which lasts about seventy washes, normally about the life of the garment.

It costs about eight dollars per garment or pair of socks, which is cheap insurance against Lyme disease and other nasties.

Virgil Kane
        Participant

What do they do that you can’t do yourself with a higher concentrate?

I have a few military treatment kits that are a higher concentrate that last longer. I’m not sure what I’m saving them for, but the spray has worked fine so far. You put the garments in the permethrin and let it sit for a couple hours.

Before going to Boundary Waters a few years ago I bought some 10% at TSC and soaked our clothes and that worked fine.

Tick diseases are scary.

Roadkill
          Participant

Normally I get the stuff in spray bottles. Are you guys buying by the gallon, if where, TSC?

Virgil Kane
            Participant

I have bought it in smaller bottles in concentrate at TSC. Dilute with water in a 5 gal bucket. Put a lid on the bucket and it will last quite a while. Throw pants or a shirt in it and let it soak. Wring it out and let it dry.

The only caveat; when I soaked synthetic socks they came out smelling bad. They smelled like the clear plastic handles on screwdrivers sometimes smell. It didn’t hurt the socks.

wheelsee
              Participant

Any damage to wool??

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Anytime your going the DIY route make sure you lookup and read the applicable MSDS (material safety data sheet) for a particular product. Many of these products are relatively fine once dry, but pose significant risks in application.

I am not saying “do not use it” just use proper safety precautions.

This is applicable to many products we take for granted.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Another thought, as new products come to market involving insect protection for clothing it wouldn’t be a bad idea to test one garment then view it with NODS to verify it didn’t change NIR performance.

I know of no problems with Permethrin products, but consider this a basic warning. It would be awfully embarrassing to be bug free, but glow at night! ;-)

An unrelated product for adding chemical fire retardant to ghillie suits had such an affect, fortunately it was tested on a single strip of burlap before ruining many hours of work constructing suit.

Roadkill
                    Participant

I’m guessing good rubber chemical resistant gloves would be in order. Maybe even a respirator besed on MSDS. I’m heading to Tractor Supply.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Don’t want anyone getting paranoid, but repeated exposure of some of the chemicals we take for granted can cause problems even when it never did before.

wheelsee
                        Participant

Don’t want anyone getting paranoid, but repeated exposure of some of the chemicals we take for granted can cause problems even when it never did before.

Keep in mind LD50 (lethal dose 50%)….. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_lethal_dose

As we age, our body functions deteriorate, whether due to outside influences (cigarette smoking) or internal (i.e. hereditary). These deteriorations can affect how substances, including poisons, affect us.

However, per the toxipedia article (see below), we as mammals don’t have much to worry as our livers rapidly metabolize permethrin. SO WHAT OF ALCOHOLICS OR THOSE WITH LIVER DISEASE?? USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Regarding permethrin, here are some basic fact sheets.
                          http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/PermGen.html#study
                          https://drugs.webmd.boots.com/drugs/drug-361-Permethrin.aspx
                          https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0011682/?report=details
                          http://toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Permethrin

Lice is with 1%, scabies treatment is with 5%.

First Sergeant

I use the spray on from Walmart.

I have noticed no issues with it under NOD’s.

The Army started issuing uniforms pre-treated with Permethrin sometime in the mid 00’s. The treatment was for the life of the uniform.

One issue we noticed in 2010, if you put the uniform on before it was washed, you could get skin irritation. If affected some worse than others. It almost felt like a slight chemical burn.

After I treat my clothes with the spray on, I always wash it before wearing it.

Something to consider.

A couple of years ago I started using Outdoor Research Bugout Gaiters. They are low cut and pre-treated with Permethrin.

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens/mens-gaiters/bugout-gaiters/p/2431020015008?origin=Men’s Waterproof Gaiters for Hiking and the Outdoors | Outdoor Research

FILO
                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                            Je ne regrette rien
                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Virgil Kane
                            Participant

Good call, Joe. I forgot to mention that I use rubber gloves when handling.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

One issue we noticed in 2010, if you put the uniform on before it was washed, you could get skin irritation. If affected some worse than others. It almost felt like a slight chemical burn.

Something to consider.

:good:

Good call, Joe.

Just something that is easy to overlook, like washing uniform before use.

My comment about NIR effects is precautionary, military permethrin has no issues, nor any other permethrin known.

The possible issue is in regards to whatever “latest and greatest” new product that may come out. Perhaps developed for civilian hikers where NIR isn’t a concern. We need to be thinking about such issues. I was initially concerned about Teflon treatment on my 5.11 Realtree clothing, fortunately not a issue. In fact most high end hunting gear is good to go regarding NIR, since latest research identified many game animals can see into certain spectrums we can’t, including NIR/UV.

Some non-military camo reproductions products use cheaper dyes that have a NIR issue, even though they manufacture issue clothing that has more expensive NIR dyes.

We don’t know until we verify.

farmer
                                Participant

The Army started issuing uniforms pre-treated with Permethrin sometime in the mid 00’s. The treatment was for the life of the uniform.

Do you think that any clothes bought from Crye during their recent sale would be pre treated or probably not?

First Sergeant

Do you think that any clothes bought from Crye during their recent sale would be pre treated or probably not?

Sorry for the late reply, been at the VTC for class.

As far as I know, Crye sells nothing pre-treated. All the Crye stuff I have purchased I have treated myself.

FILO
                                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.