End-of-year considerations

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness End-of-year considerations

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks, 4 days ago by Lloyd. This post has been viewed 243 times
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      wheelsee
      Participant

For those who have FSA’s (Flexible Spending Accounts) or “cafeteria health plans”, the end of the year is rapidly approaching (use it or lose it).

If you still have monies available:

1. look at updating immunizations – minimum of Tdap, HAV (hepatitis A), MMR (mumps, measles, rubella – this one should only affect a VERY small number). If you’re older (> 55) consider Shingles and pneumonia vaccines.

2. Buying a 90-day supply of RX (prescription) medications. Realize most insurance won’t pay for over 90-day supply but look at cash options, the “4-dollar list” https://www.walmart.com/cp/4-dollar-prescriptions/1078664

3. Buying a year supply of OTC (over-the-counter) meds, i.e Ibuprofen, Tylenol (acetaminophen), etc. (NOT to be construed as medical advice – I personally don’t concern myself with expiration dates, except in VERY RARE circumstances). https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/is-it-ok-to-use-medications-past-their-expiration-dates

4. Buying 1st aid supplies. I’ve used mine to buy IFAKs, bandages, dressings, rubbing alcohol, etc. Stock up on elastic wraps (Ace wraps), Kerlix (roller bandages), etc.

Its your money, its already been paid for. Do you give up the money to the company/Uncle Sam? Do you keep your medical larder deep? Your money, your call.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Excellent advice!

Note: Immunizations are something to consider based on your situation. Anyone who has followed this Forum knows I consider this a personal choice. I am not a blanket get everything immunization kind of guy, however there are some I do get. This is a mild disclaimer to prevent going down that rabbit hole needlessly. ;-)

trailman
          Participant

Last year I switched to my own medical plan because of divorce. So another trick I figured out, if your company is switching providers get any scripts you can get filled for 90 days tomorrow because as of Jan 1st you should be able to refill them again on the new plan. Easy way to stock up on 90 days worth. ^- I’m going to be running out the last $50 on my flex with the above ideas. :good:

wheelsee
            Participant

Last year I switched to my own medical plan because of divorce. So another trick I figured out, if your company is switching providers get any scripts you can get filled for 90 days tomorrow because as of Jan 1st you should be able to refill them again on the new plan. Easy way to stock up on 90 days worth. ^- I’m going to be running out the last $50 on my flex with the above ideas. :good:

Dang, never even thought of that one!!

Max
              Keymaster

I’m completely off vaccinations after seeing this and hearing some other stuff from reputable sources. Gonna have to deal with school regulations / philosophical objections for the kids going forward.

Lloyd
                Participant

I’m completely off vaccinations after seeing this and hearing some other stuff from reputable sources…

:good:

Lloyd
                  Participant

I’m completely off vaccinations after seeing this and hearing some other stuff from reputable sources….

Check this out.

https://banned.video/watch?id=5e0beed7ad971e001d2a4ad1

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.