Do you have a Shortwave SSB Radio?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Radio & Communication Do you have a Shortwave SSB Radio?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

In the past I have talked about Radio/Communications Monitoring on a Budget, but what if you are looking for something extremely portable?

If you have any contingencies that could put you in a foot mobile position. You still need this shortwave SSB capability, but lets face it size and weight are a premium.

Remember you need SSB to monitor HAM traffic.

My suggestion to fill this role is the CountyComm GP-5 SSB General Purpose Radio.

CountyComm is pleased to announce the GP-5/SSB radio with excellent HF communications monitoring in a unique hand held form factor and at a great price. The radio covers medium wave 520-1710 kHz shortwave 2300-30000 kHz and the FM band. Unlike most radios in this price category, the GP-5/SSB provides LSB and USB single sideband reception. It has a very unique Easy Tuning Mode (ETM). ETM does more the usual ATS. It scans all frequencies without taking up the memory spaces. So you get quick access to all local stations. Great for the traveller. There are also 450 regular memories (100 AM, 100 FM and 250 shortwave) available for tuning into your favorite stations. Another unique feature of the radio is its removable high sensitivity external AM ferrite antenna. This directional antenna clearly enhances AM band reception. The CountyComm GP-5/SSB even employs DSP (Digital Signal Processing) technology, improving clarity and tone quality. There is even an adjustable sleep timer.

Specs:

Radio: 225 hrs at 40% Volume ( 50% Increased Runtime )
        FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
        FM – Stereo via stereo earphones / MW / LW / SW
        FM Frequency range adjustable (76 / 87 / 87.5 ~ 108 MHz)
        Antenna Length 18 Inches
        450 Station Memories
        Multi Tuning Methods: ATS, ETM, Auto scan tuning with 5 seconds pre-listening for both frequency & memory (VF / VM), Manual tuning 9K/10K AM tuning step selectable
        Silicon Labs Si4734 DSP chipset
        LCD Backlight
        Key lock function
        External AM antenna Jack
        Built-in rechargeable function (USB jack, 5V) ( can use rechargeable batteries )
        Size: 53 (W) x 159 (H) x 26 (D) mm

Modes : AM, FM, SW, USB, LSB

FM: 87 – 108 or 76 – 108 MHz
        MW/ AM: 522 – 1620 (9K tuning step) or 520 – 1710 kHz (10K tuning step )
        SW: Extended Frequency Range to 1711-29999 ( higher and lower coverage )
        LW frequency: 150 – 522 kHz (available for 9K tuning step only)

Accessories include:

Power Requirements:

Stereo earphones
        External AM antenna
        Soft antenna
        Carrying pouch
        User manual

Power Requirements:

4.5 Volts DC via side jack (no adapter included)
        3 each “AA” batteries ( Batteries not included )
        Dimensions: 6.20″ X 2.05″ X .80″
        Weight: 85 Grams not including batteries
        Speaker: 40 mm in diameter, 4 Ohms, .5 watt ( 2 times the ouput of the GP-4L )
        Earphone Jack: 3.5 MM, Earphones Included

CountyComm is a retail distributor of products created primarily for US government use. In a sense, CountyComm is the consumer spill-over from the thousands of products intended, for example, for state and federal agencies.

According to CountyComm, the GP5/SSB is a case in point. The company received a large order from a US government department for an “inexpensive, small portable, AM/FM/SW radio with SSB” for emergency supply caches and diplomatic posts.

Note: You can install rechargeable batteries and recharge with the mini USB port. There are many small usb solar chargers available that would be sufficient to keep radio for the significant time.

D Close

I purchased the cheaper Tecsun version that did not have SSB. I regret not spending the extra $40 or so for the GP. If you have the cash, I would do it.

Robert
          Participant

Is it still called a “beat frequency oscillator?” Back in the day, we always told people to look in the product description for a BFO is they weren’t sure their receiver got SSB transmissions.

For the layman (myself included), Single sideband transmissions require less power than full AM. This is why you see amateurs using sideband so much.

Most standard $100. or less shortwave receivers are designed to hear the “big” stations with mega power outputs- think BBC, radio Amerika, WWCR, etc.

Joe Bob Ham operator isn’t going to have 50,000 watts to push. Also from a clandestine point of view, less power is typically better.

Man it’s been a while- BFO’s, MUF charts, CQ CQ CQ… LOL

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Is it still called a “beat frequency oscillator?

:good: Yes, although in this case the GP-5/SSB does not use a BFO for SSB. This is accomplished by utilizing the DSP built into the SiLabs chip. DSP is Digital Signal Processor, basically it’s a software defined radio to keep it simple.

At $74.95 it’s a great deal.

I would think about getting one of these for it’s mobility and keep your eye out at yard sales etc… for a good used older Shortwave SSB Radio for base use although with a installed long wire antenna the GP-5/SSB would work fine in that role.

As I mentioned in the “Radio/Communications Monitoring on a Budget” most of my large Shortwave Radios I acquired for free and just needed a little cleaning of boards and contacts.

Depending on what type of “Event” happens this maybe your only window into whats happening outside your AO and could be the only advance warning you get about dangers heading your way.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Another consideration is the “Black Echo Project” as mentioned in the Thread “AmRRON: Communications for Preppers, Patriots, Redoubters and Partisans.”

The Black Echo Rebroadcasting Station Project

Operate your own Radio Free Redoubt rebroadcasting station and keep others informed!

Black Echo re-broadcasters operate their own commercially-available or home built low power FM and AM transmitters. In an information black-out, when commercial broadcasting may be spurious or non-existent, they will act as sources of information and reassurance to their communities on the FM and AM dials.
                Expect to hear:

Live Streaming Radio Free Redoubt broadcasts (During grid-up situations)
                Previously-downloaded RFR and other podcasts, music, old time radio, books on tape, radio drama stories, etc.
                Live AmRRON Nets radio traffic, where they will act as their own
                Live Commentary & Public Service Announcements from RFR Rebroadcast Station Operators, and who may also step into the role of DJ, talk radio host, news anchor, or public information spokesperson

This could be an excellent Auxiliary role and do not underestimate the propaganda value this could have post event.

MVT Radio has a nice ring to it! :yes:

Max
                Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

The CountyComm radio works well. I have listened to the Sunday TAPRN net while walking my dog at night with a headset. It is a bargain.

Short range FM transmitters will be a HUGE asset to a local, rural setting in a grid-down situation. People will still be able to hear FM, at least for a time. The ability to offer ‘real’ info (vs the propaganda that would be spewed) is invaluable.

D Close

AMRRON has a solid program to get folks up to speed on radio. Yes, CQ, CQ! Many of us need to CQ! (Call for contacts) There are several MVT students who are working very hard on this piece right now.
                    I chose CB for my AO (a part of a larger solution) and recently put up a rather large antenna on the house for this purpose. CB also has SSB! (New Uniden 980). For handheld, I use a rugged little Kenwood THF6 that covers HF receive with SSB, transmits on 2M/1.25M/70cm bands and has aviation freqs as well. GWNS, thanks for reposting that Black Radio piece. For the semi-urban neighborhood I’m in, it could be a big help for the locals.
                    Related to this topic, the current crisis in Ecuador is proving to be a challenge for radio operators.
                    The “Cadena HC” emergency freq in Ecuador is 7.060Mhz (Normally LSB) 24h/d if you want to listen in.
                    So another piece of having comms is having the batteries to sustain them.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

CB also has SSB!

I highly recommend that everyone has a CB, preferably SSB.

The shear number of CB’s out there to include sitting in garages collecting dust that could easily be brought into service suggest that CB will be used Post-Event by many.

The extended range that SSB CB has is hard to beat for the price, especially with used equipment.

Even a standard 40 channel CB Radio for as little as $25 has a lot of uses.

A quick side note: There are Handheld SSB CB Radios available, currently mainly available used, although still available OCONUS.

So another piece of having comms is having the batteries to sustain them.

Solar chargers with rechargeable batteries, buy in bulk to save money.

Max
                      Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s response/content. Just a glitch from the transition to subscription.

Communications should be built in layers, so much gets missed with this 1 topic because most don’t know what they don’t know.

Its as important as food/water, and more so than weapons IMO

If you know trouble is coming avoidance is warning is always better than surprise

ffhounddog
                        Participant

So the country comm radio, can it be upgraded later with transmission?

Also looking at other comm systems to build on. I need a CB.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Communications should be built in layers, so much gets missed with this 1 topic because most don’t know what they don’t know.

It’s difficult to know everything we need, hence the importance of spreading the wealth within a group.

If you know trouble is coming avoidance is warning is always better than surprise

For most this will be the primary Intelligence source available.

So the country comm radio, can it be upgraded later with transmission?

No, it’s a receiver only. The compact size with quality operation in a affordable price that makes it so useful.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yearly bump for new members.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.