DG-MAX Pack

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 31 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 4 days ago by JC. This post has been viewed 927 times
Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      DiznNC
      Participant

OK sports fans, here’s a little something Max and I have been working on the past few weeks. Max wanted a small pack, something bigger than a Yote but smaller than the stock DG3, for use with the most likely scenario, that is with a MVT “Fight Light” load out, of pistol belt, PC, rifle kit, and rifle. So with this in mind, he wanted a small pack that would support this mission, AND integrate well with a rear plate.

Enter the DG-MAX:

DG-MAX

This is a cut-down DG3, with everything you don’t need removed, to make it lighter and smaller. It nestles in perfectly with your rear plate. Unlike most other packs, this one won’t slide around on your back. The hollow created by the frame and suspension locks the plate in nicely.

DG-MAX

The bag itself has been cut down extensively. All external Molle, side panels n pouches were removed, as well as all internal pouches. The top of the bag was cut down and a new shock cord tunnel installed, full length, on each side. The top lid was removed and replaced with a new low profile lid. It is now approx. 45L, so you still have plenty of room for water, ammo, clothing layers, even helmet and NVG’s, so an outside “beaver tail” isn’t really needed.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Diz’s above post is incomplete as he had a problem with spam filter. I fixed post and I am sure he will finish it soon. :good:

It looks interesting and look forward to hearing more!

JohnnyMac
          Participant

This sounds very promising. Any expectations of this model becoming available for purchase?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by JohnnyMac.
            DiznNC
            Participant

Hey guys, yeah, that’s the whole point; Max wanted a pack that would suit our needs, in the current environment we might find ourselves in, versus rural patrol at a later date. So here we are.

DG-MAX

Here’s another side shot showing the new attachment system we developed for the artic warfare pack. You will notice all molle has been removed, replaced by individual web loops. The new side panels will have polymer toggles which slot into the loops. Simple, and a lot lighter than molle systems. Made to be used with gloves and cold stiff hands.

DiznNC
              Participant

DG-MAX

Here’s a shot showing the up-dated harness which is much tighter to the frame. This comes into play when you’re moving fast; reduces side-to-side sway. Also notice new lid is now detachable.

DiznNC
                Participant

Yeah the idea is for Max to test this thing out, verify it works well, and add in any tweaks he wants. So once this is done I will modify a small batch and send Max’s way. You guys can try them out for yourself and we’ll go from there.

This is what I’ve always wanted to do. Take real world uses, optimize gear for it, and get it out on the street.

Max
                  Keymaster

This is amazing. Well done Diz. Still in Texas, looking forward to seeing and trialing this on my return.

:good:

JohnnyMac
                    Participant

a lot lighter

500D cordura?

JustARandomGuy
                      Participant

My, how the world turns…

A few years back I was trying to find a pack that worked well with armor, and ended up with a High Ground Gear 3-Day/JTAC pack. Interesting idea, and seemed to work as advertised, but had other issues that didn’t fit what I was looking for. But the fit/comfort with a plate was really good, and I said “man, what someone really needs to make is a smallified version of this as a day/assault pack.”
                        At the same time there was a video game I was playing that one of the characters had a cool daypack. So I did what any good gear nerd does; threw together some quick sketches combining the two ideas. Then I realized how colossally expensive trying to have a custom item like that sewn up would be (let alone the frame) and shelved it.
                        Fast forward to literally earlier today; I was cleaning out some old paperwork and dredged the sketches up, and said “gee, sure would be a cool idea to follow up on someday”.

Then I logged in here… haha

Reminiscing aside, that really does look like a promising idea/design for this use.
                        Also interested to hear more about the arctic toggle-slot system.

Out of curiosity, that extreme frame curve seems like it would be rather uncomfortable worn without armor.
                        OR, is this meant to be an armor-wear-specific special-purpose pack?

Max
                          Keymaster

Out of curiosity, that extreme frame curve seems like it would be rather uncomfortable worn without armor.
                            OR, is this meant to be an armor-wear-specific special-purpose pack?

That is the same external frame as the DG3. Diz just cut the pack down. I have a review on the DG3 on YouTube. It’s a great frame, but it has the added advantage of working with a rear plate.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Max.
                          DiznNC
                          Participant

Well, yeah, I think this is an idea whose time has come. Max was the real impetus here, to get the pack down to “right-size” for our needs. I am just fortunate being a complete stitch bitch that I have the wherewithal to modify an existing design, and then as it sells, convince Crossfire to produce it. So yeah I’ve waited a long time to be in a position to make something like this happen.

As far as frame curve, the pics make it look more extreme than it really is. It actually follows your back contour pretty closely, but allows for a gap between you and the load. Which coincidently is just what we need to fit a rear plate back there. I was surprised at how well it fit; the bottom of the plate locks in on top of the lumbar pads, making it a very solid feel.

You can also play with the curve a little bit. When adjusted up high, as a “short back” pack (like we’re doing here) it contours pretty well. But when you adjust it to drop down, as a “long back” ruck, the curve comes “out of phase” for lack of better term, creating a nice airspace for your back. On long humps this is welcome ventilation. Sorta an unintended consequence in our favor.

I’ve run and hiked lots of miles in this frame, mostly without armor, and it actually works quite well. That’s the beauty of it; you have the air gap without armor, and a nice spot for a plate when needed.

Here’s a pic of the bare frame.

frame

DiznNC
                            Participant

Another word about the frame. This is what I’ve been looking for my whole life. It has the rigidity of the external frame, BUT, it also has the flexibility of an internal. So you get the best of both worlds. Finally.

frame

JustARandomGuy
                              Participant

Diz/Max- Thanks for the extra pics, that makes more sense now, after looking at the website/reviews again.
                                The first couple pictures made it seem thicker and more curved; I thought you guys had found a molding company to work with and it was a new frame not the same DG3 part.

Thought I’d ask because that was one of the issues the HGG pack I tried had; if it was mostly empty and/or without a water bladder in it, when worn sans armor it had a tendency to dig a bit at the upper shoulder area.

Lloyd
                                Participant

@DiznNC – Would you be able/willing to modify one of our DG3 packs to this configuration? If so, how big a project would that be? Cost?

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                                  Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

DiznNC
                                  Participant

Yeah MVT has been real good to me, so yeah I’d be willing to modify your stock DG3. You guys have been good customers as well. I will be sewing like two motherfuckers in the coming weeks, but I guess it keeps me out of the titty bars. Just kidding. It’s really my wife and her G26.

You know it’s funny but we met some German Pathfinders at the SHOT Show, and what do you know, they were also interested in a cut down 45L pack. So my boss is taking one over there next month. Took two days to meet their TL because he was so hungover. They just don’t make good Germans like they used to. Just kidding. Pretty good troops.

Anyways, once they’re are approved by Max, I will mod a batch and send to Max so he can rent them out at class for those that need a pack/want to try this one. So try before you buy. The good mountaineering shops used to do this and I think it’s a good idea to carry forward. Then you can buy it, with the rental fee taken off the discounted MVT price. Or something like this, whatever Max wants to do.

It’s a good product, but everybody says that. So I want guys to be able to test one out for themselves.

EVENTUALLY I want to convince the powers that be that this is a good idea.

DiznNC
                                    Participant

Also, yeah they are/will be 500d cordura. The top lid on this prototype is 1,000d but all will be 500d in the future.

And yeah they will be available through Max, since it’s his design.

T
                                      Participant

@DiznNC dimensions and eventually available in coyote?

Max
                                        Keymaster

eventually available in coyote?

Diz can speak for himself, but we are not at this point right now. We are doing R&D. There will be a point where Diz will maybe do some work for MVT guys, maybe modding a DG-3 that you bought, etc. Then, if there is sufficient interest, maybe we start getting them made. That’s a big step. Diz is doing this himself right now, not Crossfire. I’m back in Virginia and the modded pack should be in the mail, so I’ll work up to a YT review once I have hold of the DG-MAX.

T
                                          Participant

OK

Brushpopper
                                            Participant

I ran a yote pack at Texas 2020 this past week. It worked well, but I could see the beaver tail becoming an issue in thick brush, limbs running through and getting tangled etc…
                                              I am very interested in this slicked down DG-Max! :good:

DiznNC
                                              Participant

OK dims, here’s a rough approximation. Gonna be 19″ tall, by 12″ wide, and about 7″ deep. So after cinching down top, you have roughly 45L capacity. You lose about 10L by simply replacing the top lid with a low profile, “FILBE” style lid. Although I am probably going to cut that down even further; the prototype looks slightly too big to my eye.

As Max said we are simply keeping you guys informed of the R&D process at this point. But yeah, two things. First I will be modifying MVT alumni packs that have already been purchased, as time permits. And yeah once I do up a batch for Max, it will probably be a mix or MC and CB. Whatever he thinks he needs.

But yeah right now Max will be testing and evaluating the design and reporting back to us. Then we’ll go from there.

DiznNC
                                                Participant

Yeah for you guys in scrub brush, the FILBE style lid is definitely the way to go. Same deal out at Pendleton, back in the day. Manzanita bush sucks. Guys actually would sling packs/drag bags so it rode on their ass- crack/between legs to worm through that shit.

Yeah I’ve often wondered if some of the kit you see was ever tested out in real bush. For example, these chest rigs and pouches you see with all that shock cord. Works great for Bagdad SWAT, but in the bush, looks like a “hung jumper” waiting to happen to me.

Along these lines, Max suggested a removable rear panel, for mission-essential kit, that would ride in/on your pack until you jock up for actions in the obj area. So for youse guys, you’d rig it to the back top of bag, then fold top lid over it. Once you’re ready to go loud, you drop rucks, un-do panel and throw on with a (attached and stowed) low pro shoulder harness. So now you have any kit that you would have direct-attached to your back plate, but can actually get at it. We’re thinking a water bladder, ammo, and any other goodies you might have access to. Also maybe breacher, commo, or med gear.

So yeah that’s in the works.

T
                                                  Participant

OK dims, here’s a rough approximation. Gonna be 19″ tall, by 12″ wide, and about 7″ deep.

Yes smaller is what I am looking for to replace my current everyday pack. Thank you

wheelsee
                                                    Participant

:good: :good: :good:

DiznNC
                                                      Participant

Yeah I carry a CB DG3 in my vehicle for a low pro get-home bag. Gonna mod it when I get time.

JC
                                                        Participant

Damn, I see another pack in my future!
                                                          Well done!

DiznNC
                                                          Participant

Yeah I’m excited about this one simply because I’ve never seen a pack that works with plates so well. Most of your internal packs just slide all over the place. The frames was purpose-built to do this; the bag just needed a little tailoring.

Max
                                                            Keymaster

@DiznNC – I have the pack. It is excellent. I need to get my ducks in a row to set up for doing a video and trial etc. Soon as a I practically can.

DiznNC
                                                              Participant

OK cool.

Lloyd
                                                                Participant

I just unboxed my DG-MAX received from Diz this morning, and even though I haven’t loaded it up and used it yet, I have to say the mods Diz made are EXCELLENT!

:good:

MVT Texas 2015-2020

Lloyd
                                                                  Participant

Not a full-blown “review”, but figured I should expand on what I posted yesterday…

Mine is less modified than the one Diz did for Max – still has the “tunnels” on the sides with molle, so I can attach hydration pouches. Diz mostly just shrunk it up a little, and made a new lid that is a simple flap with a zippered mesh pocket inside. He also did some kind of magic with how it attaches to the frame (an extra strap or something) so it fits the frame tighter… and the “yoke” feels better on my shoulders and upper back.

Photos show the pack empty, so it looks smaller than it actually is. Capacity and size are virtually identical to my Karrimor 45… except this thing will no doubt carry 35+ pound loads a lot more comfortably. Also just seems more heavy-duty overall than the Karrimor…. I like my Karrimor, but this ruck is in a different league.

Attachments:
                                                                    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MVT Texas 2015-2020

JC
                                                                    Participant

Hey Diz,

Any update? Will this be going into production?

Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.