Depth Positions

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Combat Media Depth Positions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      tango
      Participant

This last FoF we saw the utility of depth positions in defense. Dealing with them both ways was pretty interesting although there didn’t seem to be any particular tactic for dealing with them.

Has anyone found any videos out there of good or bad instances of depth positions?

Max
        Keymaster

“didn’t seem to be any particular tactic for dealing with them.”

Huh?

Pull up a pew. You may not have groked what i was telling the class in that debrief, but there are certainly a number of tactical considerations for dealing with depth/mutually supporting positions.

I don’t have a video.

Max
          Keymaster

For what you may be able to see, this video is an example of an echelon style attack on multiple enemy positions utilizing the assault cycle. Elements in support by fire, assault and reserve. Depth and mutual support are suppressed as positions are destroyed:

tango
            Participant

What I’m trying to say, which may be irrelevant, is yes we reacted to them and took care of it in a tactical manner…but it was a reaction. In one instance we basically used the box peel in reverse to assault the depth (which worked pretty well) but I’m pretty sure it was something we just kind of made up on the fly because we had a flank team and support team already in position.

Am I thinking too much into this?

Max
              Keymaster

You are remarking on what you did on the fly in the FoF class, and extrapolating, but you have not had formal training on dealing with depth positions. You have, however, done it before, on the CTT squad attack: Assault cycle and sequencing – but remember, the bottom line is that one squad can only bite off so much in terms of positions, before you have to go to platoon level.

tango
                Participant

Ah, there’s the missing link. Roger that, thanks Max.

I’ll try and find a video of the effectiveness of a depth position for others to see.

Max
                  Keymaster

Lucky for you, i just posted the combat leaders class. Now let’s see if anyone signs up!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.