Crossfire Frameset Upgrade for different Rucksacks

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment Crossfire Frameset Upgrade for different Rucksacks

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      DiznNC
      Participant

I just got an email from a guy who has Max’s old job at “Pegasus” coy, running Para recruits through their paces. Small world. He was asking about the possibility of modifying the issue Bergen to take a Crossfire frame. He is rocking out a DG-3 right now, which he loves, but now wants a pack with a little more capacity for other missions. So I got thinking, hmmm, seems I remember Wild Bill mentioning he had an old Bergen with the padding all hardened up. Soooo, if anyone hears from him, tell him to get in touch.

Before I got their pack bags, I did a little T & E with other bags on the DG-16 frameset.

DG-16

DiznNC
        Participant

First I did a few mods on a LBT 8-pocket ruck.

So I came up with this.

LBT

You can see I’m basically re-inventing the wheel here. Kinda bears a strong resemblance to a short back Bergen, eh? But it did get me into 500d at least. I did my first ruck testing with the Crossfire frameset with this mod. Note I used the std ALICE style sleeve, but cut it down slightly to make room for the upper stab straps.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by DiznNC.
          DiznNC
          Participant

Here is a shot of a large ALICE on the frame.

ALICE

Notice the sleeve is slightly wider than optimum fit. But with the proper amount of force, it will go on.

DiznNC
            Participant

Here is the issue FILBE on the frame.

FILBE

Notice the Crotch got the sleeve right; it is shorter so the stab straps fit right in. It also has “yib-yab” tabs, some of which line up, so it will fit, without any mods. But, I would go ahead and do some mods for optimum fit, since I don’t plan on going back to issue frame (which broke in the cold up in Norway).

DiznNC
              Participant

Another shot to show you how upper tabs slot into frame, lower compression strap being put into service as a frame tie-in, and how the back strapping for the other frame is rigged up.

FILBE

This was to illustrate a direct transfer; I have since modified this pack to fit the DG-16 perfectly.

DiznNC
                Participant

And the bottom tabs. The bottom sleep system compression straps can also be weaved through the bottom frame slots, giving you additional anchor points.

FILBE

So yeah it will fit, without any mods. This pack is so ridiculously cheap these days, this would make a good set up, if you need this kind of volume (it’s massive), and color works for you.

DiznNC
                  Participant

So yeah that should give you some idea of how some other packs fit onto the DG-16 frameset. It’s a significant up grade with just about any bag you can fit onto it. If most of your work is done on fairly level ground, and/or lots of road marching, you will see a significant difference in comfort. It delays the onset of the suck factor quite a bit, and when it does arrive, it’s a lot easier to take on. I’ve a done a little bit of “speed marching” with it, on asphalt roads and trails, and all I can say is, wow, big difference. It really lets you get on with the job, without being distracted by excessive pain and suffering. It still sucks, but a lot less.

If you are up in the mountains, or even just hilly terrain, having a complete tie-in, with the bag to frame, makes a big difference. The X-fire “live load” concept comes into play here.

Our man in Old Blighty will be taking it around to Jay Jays to see if he is interested in doing Bergen mods for this frame, so stay tuned!

farmer
                    Participant

Diz, I also bought one of the older Bergens with the stiff padding. Do you need one sent to you for T & E ?

DiznNC
                      Participant

Well, I have my own I’m gonna do it on, and if that works out, I’ll start modifying you guys’s packs.

DiznNC
                        Participant

Point of clarification, you do not have to buy a separate frameset, if you buy a rucksack from us. Someone ask this so I thought I’d bring that up. But if you have another pack, like a ALICE/FILBE/Molle 4,000, then yes, I would highly recommend you buy another frameset.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.