COVID -19 Data

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Information & Intelligence COVID -19 Data

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      trailman
      Participant

You may or may not hit a paywall with this. It’s a very good read.

https://medium.com/six-four-six-nine/evidence-over-hysteria-covid-19-1b767def5894

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Good information!

Note: 64 severe cases in US!

While they continue to scare people with number of infected, we have only 12 deaths in Florida!

How many people are hospitalized?

How many in ICU?

That’s the information I want!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Just found a preliminary CDC report.

508 hospitalized

121 ICU

As of 18 March.

DuaneH
            Participant

I have worked in hospitals during flu season during the 1990s and early 2000s. At the mid size hospital I worked at where they had 12 ICU and 12 CCU beds I remember a bay in the ER being turned into an ICU for respiratory patients.

My mom had a history of COPD and began going downhill winter 14-15. She was taken into the ER several times during that time until she died spring 2016. They were always overwhelmed in the winter months with flu cases.

Talking to my friends who still work in hospitals in South Carolina, while there is a lot of drama they are not having a huge influx of patients. Yet. So far I am not overly impressed with Covid19 in the US; however, I will acknowledge that all the hooplah has made the general populace cognizant of what they should be doing anyway during this time of year and may have contributed to the low rate of new cases.

DuaneH
              Participant

Just for visibility taken from the CDC’s website

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season. This burden was similar to estimated burden during the 2012–2013 influenza season1.

Of course now add Covid 19 on top of the flu and it is turning out to be a bad year for some people.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by DuaneH.
                DuaneH
                Participant

“The current flu season has been difficult but it has not reached epidemic threshold,” infectious disease expert Amesh A. Adalja, MD, senior scholar at the John’s Hopkins Center for Health Security in Baltimore, tells Health. “In the next couple of weeks, when more data is available, it will become clear just how severe the season was given that we had an initial dominance of influenza B and now dominance of influenza A H1N1.”

When a second strain begins to dominate the flu season, this can cause the season to last longer, explains Dr. Adalja.

RELATED: Influenza B Is Dominating This Year’s Flu Season. Here’s What You Need to Know

So how do these numbers compare to flu deaths in previous years? So far, it looks like the 2019-2020 death toll won’t be as high as it was in the 2017-2018 season, when 61,000 deaths were linked to the virus. However, it could equal or surpass the 2018-2019 season’s 34,200 flu-related deaths.

Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu. Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.

So far the flu has killed way many more people in the US as compared to Covid 19 in the world, but it has not reached the epidemic threshold.

HUH. go figure

wheelsee
                  Participant
                    wheelsee
                    Participant

CAVEAT – I have NO scientific data to back this up, only being a frontline grunt in this.

Several of my colleagues and I have been discussing (granted, it was on day 9, 14-hr shifts) but we are wondering if the “start” on this thing was back in January. We were seeing really sick patients with pneumonia that were negative for influenza but we were pretty sure it was viral. We didn’t have the SARS-CoV-2 test back then, so we didn’t know.

Just musings of a frontline grunt in this……see caveat above.

trailman
                      Participant

CAVEAT – I have NO scientific data to back this up, only being a frontline grunt in this.

Several of my colleagues and I have been discussing (granted, it was on day 9, 14-hr shifts) but we are wondering if the “start” on this thing was back in January. We were seeing really sick patients with pneumonia that were negative for influenza but we were pretty sure it was viral. We didn’t have the SARS-CoV-2 test back then, so we didn’t know.
                        Just musings of a frontline grunt in this……see caveat above.

I’ve brought this up numerous times, I had the flu bad the week before and recovered into Christmas. Felt liek shit for the second week even after the fever broke. Tested neg for Influenza A&B, Daughter had the same thing in late January. Friend of mine same age as me had it BAD for three weeks starting Christmas week, her’s developed into pneumonia. I was at the Dr for a non related thing this week and the staff were discussing the same thing. Bad flu season lots of negative Influenza tests.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.