Cook stove and Rats at CP

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Fieldcraft and Land Navigation Cook stove and Rats at CP

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      DiznNC
      Participant

To make your life easier, I would recommend going with just a simple fold-up stove and heat tabs for CP class. This is all that is really required and will simplify your life somewhat by not having to fool around with a cannister stove. Having two cups is a definite plus, as you can brew up a coffee, and have a cup left over for your meal.

Man I wish somebody would make the old LURP rations again. They were just like the Brit “boil in the bag” rats; all you had to do was add hot water to the bag, so no second cup required. Although you can do much the same thing with civvy freeze-dried rats, like Mountain House and the like. But I like to buy those in #10 cans and transfer to baggies. Maybe I’ll have to find thicker baggies that can stand this.

Keeper
        Participant

Thanks for the info I was thinking about what to bring to heat my water for coffee.
          I picked box of heat tab the other day from the surplus store. How tabs should I bring? I have one box do you think that will be enough.
          I am attending the CTT and CP at the end of the month.
          thanks
          Keeper

Mike H
          Participant

I have and used one of those esbit stoves in CP class. I have some of the fuel gel which can be a bitch to use(messy), got to get some tabs. I’ve be conducting a field day once a week since I returned from WV and have cooked in the field each time(both a meal and a hot drink).

The stove folds up about the size of a deck of cards and you can store fuel and fire kit inside. Also as Diz has said I’ve added an extra cup for ease of process.

I would advise if you are heading to class to try out your cooking before ya get there

DiznNC
            Participant

You don’t need that many for the actual FTX. Probably 4-5 tabs is plenty. BUT you might want a couple more for brew ups throughout the course, especially the last day.

I couldn’t keep my eyes open on the last lecture before the final raid, so I brewed up a cup of coffee and pushed through.

Max
              Keymaster

http://freezedryguy.biz/

Lrrps are still made by Mountainhouse foods. Click in the catalog link on top, then scroll down. He buys all the over runs from MH and then resells them

Price wise they are ok, I buy the 2 serving pouches of regular MH food and its the same idea, heat water and cook in the pouch

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Man I wish somebody would make the old LURP rations again.

http://freezedryguy.biz/

Lrrps are still made by Mountainhouse foods. Click in the catalog link on top, then scroll down. He buys all the over runs from MH and then resells them

From his Blog:

Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols

If you are wondering who exactly in the U.S Military was the primary target for Long Range Patrol Rations, the hint is in the name. It was the Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols or LRPs.

The are the guys who serve as “Our eyes behind enemy lines.” They are the units of U.S. Military Special Forces members who bravely go deep into enemy territory. Their important but dangerous missions are done to gather intelligence on enemy troops, resources, and to identify high-value strategic targets of opportunity.

It is believed the concept of scouting on the enemy goes back to the beginnings of warfare itself. However, in modern U.S. Military use, historians claim Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols were formed from early examples such as the Long Range Desert Group, and Force 136. These specialized units operated behind enemy lines during World War II setting the standards for skills and tactics.

U.S. Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols played important roles in Eastern Europe in the 1950’s and 1960s in countries such as Germany and Czechoslovakia. The Soviet Union was a major military threat then. LRRPs were then active in North Vietnam in the 1960’s and early 1970s. Today, long range patrolling tactics are carried out by teams such as Long Range Surveillance units, Army Rangers, Navy SEALS, and U.S. Marine Reconnaissance units.

If you are wondering, “Who has the Long Range Patrol Rations I want?” Your answer is: Freeze Dry Guy. This veteran-owned business now has a rare opportunity for you to get the same delicious, nutritious, lightweight entrees preferred by and for U.S. Military Special Forces members for nearly 50 years.

Based on his long working relationship with the manufacturer who exclusively provides this freeze dried food for the U.S. Military, the Freeze Dry Guy, (an ol’ SF Trooper himself) has secured the entire supply of the 2013 LRP Ration overrun targeted for U.S. Special Forces.

Don’t worry about the 2013 date. These LRPs are still in their infancy. “Fresh off the line” as the Freeze Dry Guy says. Remember, like other freeze dried foods, LRP Rations generally have a shelf which will last you for decades.

Speaking of decades, the Freeze Dry Guy has quite a history with these products. He has proudly eaten them since the early days when they were introduced to U.S. Military Special Forces in the 1960’s. From his personal stash which includes Long Range Patrol Rations older than most of this year’s college graduates, he enjoys LRPs on camping and backpacking trips.

If the Freeze Dry Guy or our other expert food consultants can answer any of your questions about the Long Range Patrol Ration entrees we have available, just give us a call at (866)404-3663 or be sure to send us an email.

They are currently “Sold Out,” but they are listed in their Price list PDF on page 3. They do list some breakfast meals, but I would call.

They sell out fast, but get them fairly often.

I too like them! :yes:

Brian from Georgia
                  Participant

An option to the esbit stove is the canteen cup stove. I use it to heat my coffee alnog with a trioxane fuel tab. Folgers makes the coffee singles in a tea bag but it’s kinda weak. You’ll need 2 bags or more per cup if you like the strong stuff.

The MOLLE canteen pouches have side pockets big enough for two fuel tabs each, or you could put matches in one pouch. Along with your canteen cup and cup stove, you have everything in one pouch for heating – right there on your battle belt.

Max
                    Keymaster

I did this post today to try to answer the common questions about life in the field and how to function

I hope it doesnt step on any toes, and I really hope you like it and it helps newer guys living in the bush.

Living in the bush Infantry style part 1

Corvette
                      Participant

When I saw the title said “rats” I thought it referred to some culinary adventure involving rodents :whistle:

Max
                        Keymaster

When I saw the title said “rats” I thought it referred to some culinary adventure involving rodents :whistle:

MOre adventure there than Im signing up for today :scratch:

Corvette
                          Participant

QS: Good links! :yes:

Max
                            Keymaster

Thank you

I thought it would be a place to send new questions too, instead of reposting the same answers, they will come up as new students come into the forum

DiznNC
                              Participant

Good links. You guys made my day.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.