Collapsible rod. Updated.

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 27 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 7 months ago by dnb. This post has been viewed 72 times
Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert
      Participant

Need a recommendation for a good collapsible quick opening/set up rod that will work in an AR. We are AK guys and are used to having the cleaning/support equipment on board.

I’m thinking having one to beat a UTM round out if it becomes an issue might be good to have for FOF classes. Something that could be deployed quickly but not crazy big to carry. Is there anything like that?

First Sergeant

There are a bunch of knock offs floating around out there. They are cheap and will either bend or break.

The knock offs are a black color and feel cheap.

The good ones have a gray color and have weight to them.

Take your pick.

http://yhm.net/5-56mm-7-piece-rifle-cleaning-rod-kit.html

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4215&idcategory=54

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4502&idcategory=54

FILO
          Signal Out, Can You Identify
          Je ne regrette rien
          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Robert
          Participant

I was hoping you would chime in my brother, gracias!

Mike Q
            Participant

Why can’t someone come up with an idea like collapsible tent rods. All held together with bungee cord and quickly snapped into a rod and quickly broken down again? All of the above have to be screwed together…

Not trying to pick a fight, simply curious.

trailman
              Participant

If the rod itself gets stuck you are screwed, the bungee will break. Take if from a muzzle loader….

BTW Sportsman guide puts those surplus kits on sale from time to time @ 2 for $14

Mike Q
                Participant

Got it. I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks Trailman.

Corvette
                  Participant

Prudent to have several basic cleaning kits cached in one’s operation area. They are cheap…..they are priceless.

Robert
                    Participant

Was thinking the same thing Mike.

I guess since I haven’t run an AR in 20 years that I figured someone would have come with something like you mentioned.

Corvette
                      Participant

Note the rod attached to the side of the Car15..This was common back in the early days

First Sergeant

Note the rod attached to the side of the Car15..This was common back in the early days

Yep, and there are still some guys that do that today.

During Desert Shield/Desert Storm we had several Vietnam Vets in my company. That was one of the things that they taught us to do with the cleaning rod.

FILO
                          Je ne regrette rien
                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                          Participant

Quick question – from perusing the net (yeah, I know, some true, some false), some are recommending steel but IIRC, wouldn’t steel scratch the rifling in the barrel?? Just wondering if a solid brass rod bought at Home Depot would work…….

Corvette
                            Participant

The barrel is hard chromed, so it’s not too big an issue. You just don’t want to goober up the muzzle crown, that’s what degrades accuracy.

First Sergeant

The barrel is hard chromed, so it’s not too big an issue. You just don’t want to goober up the muzzle crown, that’s what degrades accuracy.

What he said.

I don’t use it as a cleaning rod, I just keep one for stuck cases or obstructions. I use a bore snake for cleaning.

FILO
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                                Participant

I bought a brass rod from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-8-in-x-36-in-Round-Rod-Brass-800857/204325642

for $10 and cut it ~ 4″ longer than the bore. Attached it to the right-side of my AR. Have had several classes where people just look at – some ask, some snicker, some ignore. This past Monday at the TX class, a team member had a stuck casing – yep, required the rod to remove it. ’nuff sed….

texas
                                  Participant

Yup, and thanks :)

Aerohawk
                                    Participant

I bought a brass rod from Home Depot for $10 and cut it ~ 4″ longer than the bore. Attached it to the right-side of my AR. Have had several classes where people just look at – some ask, some snicker, some ignore. This past Monday at the TX class, a team member had a stuck casing – yep, required the rod to remove it. ’nuff sed

Got mine yesterday to add to my kit at well….thanks

SeanT
                                      Keymaster

I picked up 2 kits from Liberty Tree that 1st Sgt linked. They were complete kits in pouches with clips and a nice bottle for lube and a cleaning brush and bore brush. Happy with my purchase from them. Both FoF events I was at, someone needed one of these. Since I have one now, I won’t need it since Murphy knows now but as you can see from the above post, someone will.

Groundwork
                                        Participant

Ordered two of the “good” kits from Liberty Tree that 1st Sgt linked above. Just received them today, and both are brand new, with the rods and brushes still in plastic packaging.

Thanks for the recommendation 1st Sgt.

Brian from Georgia
                                          Participant

I just received my kit from Liberty Tree Collectors. It compliments my M16A1 buttstock kit rather nicely.

They must be wondering why they’re getting all the orders. First Sergeant should ask for his referral fee now :good:

Virgil Kane
                                            Participant

Yep. I ordered 4 of the small kits and a rod for an SKS. I like the OTIS kit for cleaning, but the OTIS flex rod won’t pop out a stuck case.

First Sergeant

I just received my kit from Liberty Tree Collectors. It compliments my M16A1 buttstock kit rather nicely.

They must be wondering why they’re getting all the orders. First Sergeant should ask for his referral fee now :good:

I wish. They don’t know me from Adam.

FILO
                                                Je ne regrette rien
                                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

riflemaniv
                                                Participant

I bought this: Liberty Trees US mil M16 cleaning kit used and the rod arrived in a plastic sleeve with a made in Taiwan stamp on it. Anyone else have the same issue? I’m guessing it’s not a legit US GI rod set?

First Sergeant

I bought this: Liberty Trees US mil M16 cleaning kit used and the rod arrived in a plastic sleeve with a made in Taiwan stamp on it. Anyone else have the same issue? I’m guessing it’s not a legit US GI rod set?

That’s the first one that I heard of. In the past all of them were military surplus. Maybe they ran out? :unsure:

FILO
                                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

riflemaniv
                                                    Participant

Yeah, I’m not real pleased. I already have a knock off and didn’t need another. I sent an email to Liberty Tree asking them to explain. Buyer beware.

Virgil Kane
                                                      Participant

Yep. The package the rod is in is stamped Taiwan.

First Sergeant

Guys, I am sorry about that.

The last one that I got from them was military surplus.

FILO
                                                          Je ne regrette rien
                                                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

First Sergeant

I finally cracked the fucking code on these cleaning kits and cleaning rods.

I was at Ft. Lee yesterday and went to Clothing Sales. They had cleaning kits for sale. They are just like the ones that I was issued long ago except the case comes in different camo patterns.

I bought one and compared it to my old one when I got home. The rods are a match. The kits are marked made in USA and they have a NSN. They are made by Brigade QM. Here is the link.

brigadeqm.com/Brigade-s-Military-Rifle-Pistol-Cleaning-Kit-p/bor30.htm

FILO
                                                            Je ne regrette rien
                                                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

dnb
                                                            Participant

I have klean bore brand and brownells. Both seem equal and decent field kits. Bore snakes are awesome but a rod is a must have.

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.