Colds, Flu, etc…

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Medical Care Colds, Flu, etc…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Recently got hammered by some sort of bug.

Fever and chills, sweats, body aches, and a headache like I haven’t had in many years. In bed for 5 days and a week later still have a lack of energy.

Fortunately this is an extremely rare occurrence for me and I rarely get sick in any form.

So as a friendly reminder! :yes:

Keep a stock of medications on hand as part of your preparations.

Most of us should have a idea of what works for us to alleviate symptoms and keeping something to act as a cough suppressant in your pack or team medic. Imagine getting sick on a patrol and the need for stealth with uncontrolled coughing.

Imagine the sickest you’ve been, but in the field.

Not fun! :negative:

Mike Q
        Participant

The norovirus just ripped through my family this week. I had both of my boys and my wife tossing their cookies on Monday night. I thought I was lucky and it passed me. Nope. It hit me Wednesday night. Luckily it’s only really a few hours of nastiness and then a good night’s sleep and we were all back in the saddle.
          We still have anti-nausea pills from when my wife was pregnant with our youngest but they did no good. The virus just wanted everything out of us and didn’t leave us alone until then.
          I can only imagine how useless I would be if I were on the field. But the more important thing to think of is that this virus ripped through my entire family. I was out of town over this past weekend and did not get exposed to it until Sunday night. Can you imagine if an entire family would get sick at the same time? Especially with something that lasted for over 72 hours? Young children can get dehydrated and die in that timeframe. If you don’t have access to any type of medicine you can easily and quickly lose a family member in a grid down situation. Young and elderly will be especially vulnerable.
          This is a very morbid post but definitely one which needs thinking on.

I know several discussions have been had about what drugs should be stored, but a good recap wouldn’t be a bad idea.

What over the counter drugs do you have on hand?

What prescription drugs do you have on hand?

What alternative prescription drugs do you have on hand? I.e. Fish antibiotics…

How do you protect those drugs which must have specific storage mediums? I.e. Insulin, etc…

Robert
          Participant

Being sick in the field sucks. Even just the little “non manly” stuff is the worst. I remember getting sunburned badly right before an FTX in the late 80’s. Then having gear dig into your shoulders and back for two days…. That sucked.

In a survival context, you likely may not know what you contracted right off the bat. Common cold or something worse? Contained to just you or easily spread throughout the whole group? Quarantine or no? We may not know it’s “just” the common cold and post disaster, all kinds of nasties are floating around.

Either way bad situation. How many of us have 10K rounds of ammo but not much more than just an IFAK for med issues?

TnMichael
            Participant

As a doc I treat this kindof stuff all the time…can really suck. Prevention is the best medicine guys….the best I’ve found as far as over the counter is simply Vitamin D3…5000 IU’s a day minimum for an adult…works great to prevent. Some alternative Doc’s think the flu is a symptom of Vitamin D3 deficiency. Double or triple the dose when getting sick will usually shorten the duration. And, no, you don’t need to worry about the fat soluability of D…it’s an overblown issue. You make 20,000 IU’s of D when exposed to sunlight for 30 minutes…ever wonder why flu usually doesn’t happen in summer?

HiDesertRat
              Participant

One might consider elderberry syrup once flu symptoms begin. Sambucol is known brand name, however you can make your own quite easily. Have used it for 2 years (me X1, wife X2) and it moderates the duration significantly down to 2-3 days and then you are better. Zinc lozenges also, but I have no experience with them but some research suggests it slows replications of viruses if started at the onset of symptoms.

Eric
                Participant

Here’s what I do when I start getting sick that seems to work well in killing it in short order.

Two shots of some 80-90 proof liquor, a big cup of hot tea, two tablespoons of raw honey, two tablespoons of lemon juice, and some cayenne or other hot ground pepper. Mix it all together, and drink it down quick, as hot as you can stand.

Put on some sweats, and bundle up in a sleeping bag or comforter and go to sleep. You wake up in about three hours soaked with sweat clear through your clothes, I always get up and take a shower, and go back to bed. Something about that spike in temp and hard sweat, for some reason helps the body get on top of the virus. It works for me every time.

Max
                  Keymaster

Best stuff for sinuses: Similasan Cold and Mucus, works fast (usually within 5 min) to clear your sinuses. Colloidal silver for bacterial infections or unknown illness taken orally or nasal spray. Virastop for viruses. Agree on the elderberry and vitamin D, both are staples for our family. Also related Ginger root for stomach issues, anti-acid, and inflammation. Maca root for energy, works amazingly well.

HiDesertRat
                    Participant

Eric wrote:

Here’s what I do when I start getting sick that seems to work well in killing it in short order.

Two shots of some 80-90 proof liquor, a big cup of hot tea, two tablespoons of raw honey, two tablespoons of lemon juice, and some cayenne or other hot ground pepper. Mix it all together, and drink it down quick, as hot as you can stand.

Nice, I only do that for sore throats with the addition of some cinnamon. It works well, and if I repeat often enough,
                      works on everything else as well… including cloudy days.

TnMichael
                      Participant

The reason your remedy works Easy is because virus’s can’t replicate in high temps…that’s why your body “has a fever’…to inhibit the virus’s. Your method just enhances that…I tell patients to take a HOT bath, bundle up and sweat it out…will help tremendously.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.