Cold War East German Commandos

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Multi Media Cold War East German Commandos

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

Came across this in one of my many info searches.. I found it interesting so Im sharing. Its kinda boring till about one minute in..

I got to meet a few former NVA Fallschirmjager in Berlin in the mid 90s. They were FRG Border police after the wall came down. Interesting fellas with interesting stories.

Its propaganda..

Bergmann

First Sergeant

Went to a course with a former DDR hubschrauber pilot. He was then a pilot in the Bundeswehr. Having conversations with him was like being in the Twilight Zone.

FILO
          Signal Out, Can You Identify
          Je ne regrette rien
          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

DiznNC
          Participant

The cold war was an interesting era. I was an airforce brat in Wiesbaden from 1965-68. (As many of you know that was a company base.) Since my dad worked in a sensitive area, we couldn’t do it, but I had buddies who got to take the train into Berlin, where they would trade shit like levis with the East German Border guards for commie belt buckles and whatnot.

There were several underground bunkers still in the area that we were dying to get into and souvenir hunt, but alas, never happen. Most west German towns were cleaned up by then, but east Germany was still pretty fucked up. Go figure.

It was interesting times. You could almost feel the electricity in the air. My dad was issued load out gear which was kept in the garage. He carried a loaded 45. It was on his nightstand at night. In those days, you just KNEW not to fuck with it. Different times than today for sure.

We lived out “on the economy” for year waiting for base housing. Most of my buddies were German so you learned the lingo quick. That and to stuff cardboard down your socks to protect your shins in pick-up FuBball. A lot of their fathers were WWII vets. You could still sense some tension there, as they almost never talked to Amis about it. More like grudging respect. But it was kinda exciting for a little kid to be around actual vets, especially those that managed to make it back from the eastern front. One finally opened up and talked about it around his son and me. I thought it was exaggerated a bit but found out later it was all true.

Of course Vietnam was in full swing at the time, so we were actually at the height of the cold war. And like I said, sometimes you could feel it in the air. Sometimes more than that. Some family friends were caught in the Paris student riots, protesting Vietnam of course (Pax au Viet Nam!) Another family friend was shot down in a C-130 recon flight. They crash-landed in the mountains (somewhere east of Wiesbaden, you figure it out) and some actually survived and were rescued. He received a medal for his actions but couldn’t wear it. Same o, same o.

My sister’s boyfriend was Air Police. I think he was the only cat in Germany that actually wanted to get to Vietnam. Of course they sent him to Germany instead. There were German criminal gangs that were pilfering rationed items such as coffee and cigs out of the PX’s. I saw them cart an old German lady out of the PX one time. Kinda sad to see old grandma in cuffs! There were other German gangs trying to steal other things. And my dad made sure that didn’t happen. ‘Nuff said.

But one interesting thing. We would frequently sneak out and walk through the ville, in the middle of the night. In those days, NO ONE dared fuck with an American kid. Even stupid ones like us wondering around at all hours. You knew the wrath of god would be brought down upon you. Compare again to present day. Yeah.

We were irritating little bastards. Rang the shit out of doorbells in the middle of night. Threw dirt clods, apples, snowballs at vehicles. One time I bet my buddy I could get a snowball through this second story window. It was some bakery I think. Well, it sailed and I just knew it was in there. Sure enough, blamo! It hits this overhead rack of pots n pans. Sounded like some crescendo in the third movement: crash, boom, bang. Then this big German Fraulein leans out the window and give us what-for. We’re laughing our asses off as we run away. We would skip the school bus and walk home through the ville. Find a bar that would serve us a beer (wasn’t too hard in those days, as long as you spoke the lingo and had the coin of the realm; probably was watered down). We thought we were genuine bad-asses.

Andrew
            Participant

We lived in quarters across the street from the elementary school on the base at Weisbaden back in ’56. My mom worked for the Air Force and dad was in the USN on the Rhine River Patrol. I was expelled from Kindergarten at that elementary school. Teacher was out of the room and caught me with one of those little kid’s chairs that had metal sides for the legs and paper thin plywood for the seat and back getting ready to brain some little bastard who had been giving me shit. All I remember is we had paste that smelled like fish and he would eat it as well as always having a ring of black around his mouth from eating the black crayolas.

I do remember having the mud ball fights too, almost daily. I would make good ones and bring them inside for a day or two so that they would get really hard.

Never finished 1st grade either because that’s when we shipped back to the States.

DiznNC
              Participant

No shit that’s funny. My Dad worked at the “Lindsay Air Station”, although no aircraft were in sight. Go figure.

We lived in Erbach am Rhine for a year before getting quarters up at the Auchum (sp?) Housing Area. Did a year at the dependent school on Lindsay, then Auchum, then Wiesbaden Jr. High.

Yeah fights were pretty common back in those days. I wuz sent home a few times. But you didn’t get expelled for it. Was scary the day MLK was shot. Tensions were running high. Also remember when the nukes fell into the Med from that crashed B-52. And when De Gaulle left NATO and kicked us out of France.

But the scariest deal was when that Russian nuc sub went down around Hawaii in ’68. Theories abound, but the scariest thing about that deal was that one of the missile tube hatches was open. No one knows for sure but that could have been a rogue Russian trying to start WWIII.

Fun times.

Max
                Keymaster

LOL. As soon as they pulled the old hand to hand / knife fighting trick I knew it was BS propaganda.

Corvette
                  Participant

LOL. As soon as they pulled the old hand to hand / knife fighting trick I knew it was BS propaganda.

I stated it was propaganda.. you were warned.. :wacko: ;-)

wildbill
                    Participant

How funny what a small world, I was stationed at a comm site outside of Ramstein 68-69, my girl friend soon to be wife’s dad was stationed at Wiesbaden so I spent alot of time there, she worked as a secretary on base before we go married.

We booth tried to fit in as much as possible by dress, manners and attempting to learn and speak the language as much as possible. Really enjoyed Germany and living on the economy — good times.

Andrew
                      Participant

We lived in Erbach am Rhine

We lived in Schierstein(sp?) for awhile, but I don’t remember much about that.

DiznNC
                        Participant

Too funny guys, it truly is a small world after all.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.