Coffee Brewing

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 16 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by dnb. This post has been viewed 50 times
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      wesmc
      Participant

Anyone think this would be worth carrying in the sustainment load?

http://www.blackriflecoffee.com/collections/equipment/products/phoenix-70-coffee-dripper

DuaneH
        Participant

I am a coffee-holic and I say no. Starbucks instant is pretty good and very lightweight.

When I am in the field with the Army and no time to brew I carry coffee beans to suck on to keep the caffeine headaches away.

Brian from Georgia
          Participant

For me, it’s extra kit I don’t need. The canteen cup, stove and fuel tabs will boil the water and I already carry those. Get the small packs of instant coffee and you’re set.

Xsquidgator turned me on to the Starbucks instant single packs. It is way better than Tastes Choice instant that comes in MREs.

Edit: I didn’t see Duane’s reply before I submitted but it’s interesting that we had same coffee recommendation. I like the French Roast myself for that smooth yet rich flavor.

Harris
            Participant

Starbucks instant is great but if you really want an extra jolt, Cafe Bustello has an instant version of their espresso.

Jamison
              Participant

So… I used to swear by the Starbucks Instant. Until I found Trader Joe’s Instant coffee packets. I like my coffee with cream and sugar, and this is all in one. It’s actually pretty good.

Trader Joe’s Instant Coffee Packets Amazon

I used to carry starbucks instant, Those little 2go coffee mate french vanilla squeeze bottles and sugar packets. This is a lot easier. Just add to water easy.

Corvette
                Participant

I like the Starbucks VIA instant. No cream, no sugar here. Drink it like a man, lol.

SeanT
                  Keymaster

I have an instant type that doesn’t suck
                    I think it might be folgers but maybe it is Nescafe
                    I will check later. I double up in a mug sized cup

hellokitty
                    Participant

My son is the S6 in 1-37 AR. He is a coffee addict. I asked him what he brewed his coffee in the field. He laughed and said a Kuerig, I am mech. Got a chuckle outta that one.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                      HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                      FOF X3
                      OPFOR X2
                      CLC X2
                      RIFLEMAN

veritas556
                      Participant

IN before Max arrives and extolls the virtue of tea….

xsquidgator
                        Participant

$64 for a coffee filter holder? Really?

Reminds me of what my Grandfather used to say to me when I wanted something: “A fool and his money are soon parted”

For camping out of a vehicle, I’ll bring one of those melita-style filter things and make real coffee with the jetboil and that. $4 at Bed Bath and Beyond or Publix.
                          $4 at BB&B

For carry-it-on-your back style camping, I’d do the instant coffee packets.

Andrew
                          Participant

The Folger’s coffee in a tea bag is what I’ve used in the past. Propane canister stove and a canteen cup for water to boil. Takes all of 2 minutes.

Can carry a bunch of those little tea bags of coffee in a baggee. Worth every bit of the little bit of extra weight.

wheelsee
                            Participant
                              tango
                              Participant

Extra alternative: Coffee Thins

Can also be found at Wal-Mart near the coffee, sometimes they go on fire sale.

SeanT
                                Keymaster

Nescafe Taster’s Choice
                                  House blend

trailman
                                  Participant

Nescafe Taster’s Choice
                                    House blend

Damn my mother used to drink that crap before they invented the Mr Coffee machine.

@xsquid, that was the gadget I was looking for, we have one of those for camping, just toss the mug that comes with it.

BTW cowboy coffee is good too.

Thomas
                                    Participant

Two cup French press with a durable carafe. Nothing like a fresh cup of joe in the field.

dnb
                                      Participant

Boil water in pot, put coffee grounds in boiling water (no filter required), after a few minutes, take off pot and add a shot of cold water which knocks the coffee grounds to the bottom of the pot. Serve. Job done. Tea as well.

Some instant coffee is good, can’t remember the brand though.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.