Camo Pattern Gear and Clothing- Where To Buy?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Uniforms, Clothing and Footgear Camo Pattern Gear and Clothing- Where To Buy?

Viewing 50 reply threads
  • Author
      JustARandomGuy
      Participant

So I was reading through Diz’s thread on camo, and he mentioned “U.S. woodland is cheap and plentiful”.
        And I thought to myself “Really? Where? :unsure:
        While I personally prefer straight normal earth colors, I can see the use in having some camo pattern clothing, but I’ve had a hell of a time finding it anywhere in the old-school patterns in decent condition.

So I figured I’d start a thread for everyone to chime in on where to find clothing and gear in various camo patterns.

If online, post a link to the store.
        List in conjunction with camo pattern- I’ve included those patterns Diz listed to start, in sort of a list format you can copy and paste to sort links- I’ve also included some desert patterns for folks in such environments.
        Feel free to include others, if you want.
        Obviously, if one store fits “all the above” just give an overview of what they have with the included link.
        A rating of how reputable the store is, as well as what the quality of what they stock would be great as well.
        Thanks in advance!

US Woodland
        Clothing-
        Gear-

DPM
        Clothing-
        Gear-

MARPAT Woodland
        Clothing-
        Gear-

ATACS
        Clothing-
        Gear-

Multicam
        Clothing-
        Gear-

DCU (US 3-color Desert)
        Clothing-
        Gear-

DPM Desert
        Clothing-
        Gear-

MARPAT Desert
        Clothing-
        Gear-

ATACS Desert
        Clothing-
        Gear-

CW
        Participant

Don’t know about the rest, but Multicam and A-TACS both have “where to buy” pages on their websites.

http://www.multicampattern.com/multicam-home/where_to_buy_multicam/

http://www.a-tacs.com/a-tacs-gear-finder/

Former Sapper
          Participant

Have you tried visiting military surplus shops? I could walk in to one in here in the UK and come out with a shit ton of cheapish DPM and MTP. Failing that I always fall back to ebay for any camouflage I need (which is exceptionally rare for me these days). I will add though that whilst expensive rusmilitary.com carries russian patterns for opfor, recognition or something different to wear.

RRS
            Participant

I just bought some MTP pattern water proof pants from Midway USA. Price was great, service excellent. MTP being a bit light for maybe summer in places like the Eastern Redoubt but in my treeless bug out area it looks like it will fit the bill.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Last Fall You could get Woodland BDU’s for $12 Pants and $9 Shirt in used excellent condition (even long lengths). Those have dried up right now, unless you are medium and/or short sizes.

Excellent online search skills will prevail, but do not wait to think about it. Be ready to buy when deals present themselves.

Remember you will need multiple sets in your chosen pattern, for me that is 5 minimum.

DuaneH
                Participant

Thrift stores near military bases.

Surplus stores near military bases.

Ebay is where I bought my UCP and Multicam as I am not issued them, but have to pay for them out of pocket.

I got multicam for around 45$ a set and UCP for 25$ a set. You have to be persistent.

JustARandomGuy
                  Participant

Per surplus shops- I am not near any Mil. bases, and only have one regular surplus shop that I know of in my AO, and it’s 2 hours away, so my time there is extremely limited, and their selection is “ok” at best there anyway- scored some like-new DCU pants (and should have bought all they had, but didn’t have the $$ at the time), but everything else on the shelves were really mediocre for quality.

So, I’m pretty much at the mercy of the internet. :wacko:

ast Fall You could get Woodland BDU’s for $12 Pants and $9 Shirt in used excellent condition (even long lengths). Those have dried up right now, unless you are medium and/or short sizes.

Yep, that’s what I figured…
                    Just my luck.

Corvette
                    Participant

Diz has a store I think .and he’s been a great contributor here.
                      You might want to PM him if he doesnt find this thread :)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am not near any Mil. bases, and only have one regular surplus shop that I know of…

Friends and relatives and their friends?

Are you or they taken any trips that might be near one?

Ebay automatic bidding set price limits and forget about it! Don’t get competitive.

Government Liquidation (GL), a Liquidity Services, Inc. marketplace is the exclusive contractor of the DLA Disposition Services for the sale of surplus and scrap assets of the United States Department of Defense (DOD).

Some of us are still brainstorming how as a group we might do this.

Max
                        Keymaster

For OSW, Propper and Tru-Spec via http://www.predatoracu.com/ & http://www.predatorbdu.com/, as well as http://www.Militarygear.com .

For Digital Woodland/Woodland MARPAT & Desert Digital/Desert MARPAT, MARPAT can be had on Ebay, digital woodland/desert from Propper and Tru-spec via Predatorbdu.com & PredatorACU.com, and Militarygear.com .

A-tacs FG & AU, Propper via Predatorbdu.com & PredatorACU.com, and Militarygear.com .

Propper and Tru-Spec also both do Multicam.

Max
                          Keymaster

Also, for what it’s worth, surplus OSW seems to have just about completely disappeared. Kinda spooky in a way really.

DiznNC
                            Participant

Ebay:

Woodland:
                              -USGI (SDS) load bearing equipment: pouches, FLC’s, patrol packs, shortback Molle II rucksacks, ponchos, and poncho liners, bivy sacks.
                              -some USGI BDU’s

Woodland digi:
                              -Marpat overhead covers, poncho liners, patrol packs, and longback rucksacks.
                              -Marpat cammies

OD Green:
                              -Large ALICE rucksacks
                              -Down East 1606 frames

Commercial woodland/woodland digi cammies:
                              -Propper
                              -Tru-Spec

DPM Woodland:
                              -load bearing equipment, pouches, patrol packs, shortback bergan rucksacks
                              -DPM cammies

As surplus stores are starting to dry up, ebay is the place to go.

Max
                              Keymaster

There was some sort of directive put out a few years ago that surplus uniforms had to be destroyed. Something to do with the IR suppression. That’s one reason surplus is hard to find, and why surplus stores now look like camping stores instead of what they were 25 years ago.

Gov liquidation is a great site. Surplus stores and thrift shops near large posts as well. For those near the FL panhandle, google surplus stores to find a large one out the back gate of Hurlburt Field. AF SOF is there and that store has some gooodddd stuff.

Max
                                Keymaster

I’ve had pretty good luck finding surplus woodland MOLLE gear on Amazon. Just do keyword searches and follow the “others who bought such and such looked at such and such”.

On the pricier end of things, some aftermarket manufacturers have been doing limited runs of woodland gear because of demand from certain specialized customers.

If you’ve got the cash, Beyond (makers of the SOF PCU) makes some of their stuff in woodland because of demand from certain SOF units.

George Haystack
                                  Participant

Ebay has some stupid policies, but it is a great source for gear. Over the past year I’ve sold off stuff I don’t care about (old comics, household stuff I don’t use, etc.) and rolled the money into a good assortment of Gear: Mag pouches, rucks, vests, helmet, the works. I’ve picked up some USGI equipment (both new and used), HSGI tacos, Blackhawk and Tactical Tailor vests and pouches, etc. All of it was in great condition and very affordable. Average discount was probably at least 50% off retail.

The secret is setting up good searches and checking them daily. Email alerts work great. The will send you an email every day with all the new listings. You can also use the mobile app and can check your searches as often as you want. It’s a good idea to check frequently in case some great deal pop up with a “buy it now” option.

In most cases you’ll end up bidding on stuff. Be careful not to get caught up in bidding wars. Set your price and stick to it. No matter what you’re bidding on, be prepared to walk away if the price shoots up. Another one will come along. I use a program called EZSniper that automatically places my bids in the last seconds of the auction. That way nobody can effectively bid against me except other people using similar software.

If you play your cards right you can get some great gear at a great price. It takes a little work, but the prices make it well worth the effort.

Chris

As overseas deployments wind down, there are tons of guys getting rid of their OCP (multi cam) kit and clothes and selling whole sale on ebay or to local surplus stores.
                                      As far as the best pattern, the army is spending billions to answer that question (which they haven’t yet) and no solid answer has presented itself. Look at each class pic of CRCD, all different flavors but each person is achieving the goal of breaking up their silhouette and blending in. I’m team multi cam after watching US GI’s disappear in the terrain while their Afghan counterparts stood out, it was amazing. But terrain dictates which pattern works, so ‘know thy environment’

Max
                                      Keymaster

Whatever you do, do NOT look to the Army or .gov for the “best” pattern. The current trials are FUBAR 10 ways from Sunday. A number of choices, FAR better than some of what made the finals, were eliminated early on. And now, they are starting all over again… Lots of behind the scenes politics and BS going on as I understand it.
                                        The best answer, is to look objectively at things, go get some stuff, and try it out yourselves via some friends. You have to ask yourself, do you want something that works, knowing there will have to be compromises, or, do you just want what you like or think looks cool. Often, the two are not the same.
                                        As Diz mentioned, there are lots of factors to take into consideration. Cost and availability (remember, we’re talking catastrophic times use here, not just for a weekend training class) are huge. You looking at 5-6 set, minimum. Cost and availability of related gear and equipment, etc…

DiznNC
                                        Participant

You know, I think Pericles hit it on the other thread. Pretty much the whole fucking planet uses some kind of woodland camo. While here in the US some folks debate endlessly about what will work better.

This is the problem. We have WAY too many fucking choices here. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, not compared to your training and fieldcraft.

The most important thing you could do is go train with Max and company. If you showed up in a jockstrap with barbed-wire suspenders (yes, there’s a story there), it wouldn’t matter as long as you learned how to shoot, move, and communicate.

Separate what’s important from all the bullshit.

Max
                                          Keymaster

…………..If you showed up in a jockstrap with barbed-wire suspenders (yes, there’s a story there), …………..

Yes there is. Funny as crap too. Just don’t drink coffee while listening to Diz tell it. Coffee out the nose burns…ask me how I know. Just sayin’…..

Diz is right though. Don’t get wrapped around the axle here. Don’t look at this as trying to find the magic talisman of invisibilty, or predator cloaking… Filter out what you (or others) think is “cool”, “looks good”, etc… Occams Razor. Figure out what works best for you, then focus on training, etc…

Max
                                            Keymaster

In my case, I have a duffel bag full of woodland BDUs (and enough old woodland MOLLE to begin outfitting a fire team) that are victims of the Army’s switch to ACUs, so the answer was simple once I got over looking at all the pretty pictures of the newer high speed stuff like Pencott, ATACs, Multicam, etc.

All great patterns, but I’m on a very tight budget, so old school woodland it is for me.

My only compromise was to put together a low-profile warbelt in all coyote-ish colors to wear with earth tone civilian clothes to bridge the gap between the current downhill slide to anarchy and full on Mad Max SHTF (or worse).

Max
                                              Keymaster

See, that’s what we’re talking about Chuck. Bingo.

Now, I’ll probably regret this, but I’ll say it anyway. Diz and I both think that as far as visual concealment goes, Pencott (Greenzone for our AO), is a SIGNIFICANT leap forward over just about everything out there. However, we aren’t running it because of current cost and availability issues. Sure, we could source a set or two and some gear to handle a weekend training class…..but that’s not what we’re talking about here. Its too costly and scarce to source what we need just for ourselves….much less the rest of our friends……

Max
                                                Keymaster

Well don’t forget that one of the good choices is OD. Why? Base color and definitely customizable. I know a guy who has beaucoup OD and either dyes or spray paint as needed for the area. Also, as far as costs goes, if a full set costs too much (e.g. pencott green), buy the jacket and use other patterns close to it for pants and headwear. Gear wise, pick what will work for you and if necessary, break up colors thru paint, dye or camp cloth bits. Berkmann got some great setups for camp and gear in terms of reducing your footprint/image.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There is a lot of good info here, Hawkeye and Diz have done some pretty good work on showing pros and cons both here and on their videos.

Cost and availability (remember, we’re talking catastrophic times use here, not just for a weekend training class) are huge. You looking at 5-6 set, minimum. Cost and availability of related gear and equipment, etc…

This is overlooked far too often and needs repeating. I didn’t like going to OEF/OIF without 5 sets minimum, and I had ready resupply available.

Combat is very rough on BDU’s.

I done week long survival training where the tattered remains of my BDU’s barely covered me by the end of rotation!

Max
                                                    Keymaster

Combat is very rough on BDU’s.

This. However, you’re more likely to blow out/trash the pants than the top. I’ve seen plenty of BDU/DCU/ACU pants blow out at the crotch or rip open at the knees. Not so much with the tops. So if you have 4 sets of your preferred uniform with 2-3 extra pairs of pants, you’re probably golden.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So if you have 4 sets of your preferred uniform with 2-3 extra pairs of pants, you’re probably golden.

A reasonable assumption. My main concern for the uninitiated, is thinking a couple sets would be sufficient.

Max
                                                        Keymaster

All depends on how long you estimate festivities to last…. Couple of days? Couple of years? etc…….

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Unless a person has a rather large budget; ultimately if scenario is long term, adapting improvised clothing will eventually become necessary.

I prefer to plan for long term within my means. As much as some of the new patterns show promise; as Hawkeye stated above, I can’t afford them in sufficient quantities to be of any use.

Max
                                                            Keymaster

Unless a person has a rather large budget; ultimately if scenario is long term, adapting improvised clothing will eventually become necessary.

I prefer to plan for long term within my means. As much as some of the new patterns show promise; as Hawkeye stated above, I can’t afford them in sufficient quantities to be of any use.

Exactly.

I’ve been toying with the idea, of buying up and storing material itself now, along with thread, etc.. and finding a good manual treadle sewing machine, to store/cache away to be able to eventually not only repair existing clothing, but make new items altogether.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Great idea, this is an area that would be very practical and profitable post-event.

Sewing has become such a lost skill in our disposable society. I’ve considered trying man hand as a cobbler.

Max
                                                                Keymaster

I’ve considered trying man hand as a cobbler.

Brings up a good point and a corollary to this discussion: while one might want to have a pair of those $300 RAT boots (or other expensive boots), it’s probably a good idea to set back several pairs of GI combat boots (especially if they were issued to you) to keep on hand for the same reason you’ll want multiple sets of uniforms. Combat is hard on boots, too.

Max
                                                                  Keymaster

Chuck, that’s one reason why I have somewhat moved away from the higher priced/higher end boots, and went back to something a little lower on the cost scale. May not be quite as durable/long lasting overall, but the idea is to be able to have multiple pair. Some on hand, some stored away, some at the retreat, some at……etc……

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…(especially if they were issued to you) to keep on hand…

I am down to my last two pairs of issue boots, only one is traditionally repairable. Although militarybootrepair.com has a picture of a Jungle Boot resole I’ve considered pricing.

Max
                                                                      Keymaster

Excellent resource, GWNS. And they’re relatively local to me.

Max
                                                                        Keymaster

…the idea is to be able to have multiple pair. Some on hand, some stored away, some at the retreat, some at……etc……

My thinking exactly, Hawkeye.

• #106802
                                                                          CW
                                                                          Participant

Re-reading this thread got me to thinking that another place to find quality gear online is certain reputable airsoft retailers. The larger ones generally carry high quality merchandise, since many airsoft players want “the real thing” when it comes to gear.

• #106803
                                                                            RRS
                                                                            Participant

At Midway USA I picked up a Brit Mil surplus windproof combat smock for a good price in excellent condition in way cool MTP complete with a Union Jack shoulder patch and RAF Regiment patches, great service as well.

• #106804
                                                                              Max
                                                                              Keymaster

Just don’t make the mistake I did when I was getting ready to retire. I sold nearly all my uniforms and TA-50, magazines, etc., etc. We often feel like we are liberated and want nothing to do with anything camo or military related. Well, get over the feeling and keep your stuff. If I would have known the downward spiral we would be in today 9 years ago, I would be set. Don’t make my mistake.

• #106805
                                                                                Max
                                                                                Keymaster

In this AO (Enemy Territory, New England), there are 4 Army/Navy stores that have plenty of surplus BDUs, ACUs, and MCUs in sizes from Small to Extra-Large. DCUs are a little harder to come by, but they need a little darkening to work well up here. A lot of paintball players have been buying ACUs dirt cheap and dyeing them green/brown.

Or just buy decent quality Hippy Earth Tone outdoor clothing and it’ll adopt to your specific terrain when the dirt from your AO grinds into it.

• #106806
                                                                                  Corvette
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                  • #106807
                                                                                    Corvette
                                                                                    Participant

Dpm desert and german flecktarn smocks and uniforms at http://www.keepshooting.com pretty cheap.

• #106808
                                                                                      RRS
                                                                                      Participant

The guys at Inrange clued me into a Finnish store that says they ship cheaply to the states and they have windproof smocks galore.

Name of the place is Varusteleka

• #106809
                                                                                        Corvette
                                                                                        Participant

Max mentioned a few years ago the benefits of the SAS smock. I picked up a couple of DPM ones from Keepshooting, and they are great. But DPM is a bit too dark for my AO in Utah; so I wanted to get some multicam and perhaps a straight Coyote and OD color.

Arktis was where I went. Great stuff and it is SAS standard I am told.

They have three models with a new one just out. The B310 has a sewn in waterproof liner. The B210 is more the windproof like the DPM ones you can buy surplus. The B110 is more of a shell with no real windproofing other than the material itself.

They have a new one that Arktis tells me the SAS is now using; the B705. this is light like the B110 but has a zipper inside so that you can zip in a rainproof liner. When I spoke with the US Arktis guy; he said that most SAS don’t zip in the liner because it is a little bit constricting when you are sliding around on the ground. In fact the snipers are choosing to wear the A310 waterproof light jacket under the B705 without attaching it because that allows them lots of contortion movement.

I have the new MTP B705 with is fast drying and lighter weight than the DPM windproof. I also have the A310 waterproof underneath when needed for wind or rain. It is tons better than any goretex US Gen1, 2 stuff. Gen 3 US jackets are way noisy and stiff. The B705 with waterproof is extremely comfortable and quiet.

He also mentioned that the SAS hasnt used Goretex for awhile for the above reasons. The light 705 type SAS Smock dries more quickly than the older windproof; and you can protect yourself by throwing on the light weight waterproof under the jacket. So, in colder weather they would have a sweater/pile shirt, rainproof which they keep in one of the large pockets, and then the 705

Here is a link to the B705 in SAS MTP (their multicam). The pattern is not exactly MTP; and even looks better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arktis-B705-Combat-Smock-British-Multicam-MTP-Large-SAS-MI5-/322124420358

• #106810
                                                                                          Sam Brady
                                                                                          Participant

I guess I just like “old school cool.” Vietnam era green jungle version is what I prefer. In most instances they work fine, they last forever and they have pockets in all the places I need them.
                                                                                            I prefer belt kit also for the woods….
                                                                                            But then again, I am as old as the kit!

• #106811
                                                                                            Corvette
                                                                                            Participant

Has anyone used the Israeli Mitznefet at the MVT classes? How does it work in real life? I remember Joe or the 1st Sgt telling folks to stop wearing ball caps as the outline was too…..ballcap.

One can run a Miznefet on top of a helmet, ball cap, boonie hat and wool cap. It seems like it would be great for designated marksmen and snipers too.

camo2

• #106812
                                                                                              Civilianresponder
                                                                                              Participant

Looks like the swedish chef, only tactical!

• #106813
                                                                                                Robert
                                                                                                Participant

Looks like the swedish chef, only tactical!

I was thinking something similar :good: Along the lines of “I’ll take a Medium, thin crust garden delight with sausage, hold the tactical. “

• #106814
                                                                                                  Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                                                  Moderator

For general use it’s hard to beat a boonie hat, if you need more add garnish from basic to ghillie style.

…or anything in between depending on requirements.

• #106815
                                                                                                    hellokitty
                                                                                                    Participant

Oh I would love to be in a class and see Max and 1SGT reaction when someone Sports that pizza hat.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                                                                                                      HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                                                                                                      FOF X3
                                                                                                      OPFOR X2
                                                                                                      CLC X2
                                                                                                      RIFLEMAN

• #106816
                                                                                                      Civilianresponder
                                                                                                      Participant

That hat will definitely disrupt someones OODA loop. Here is a more interesting example of its use.

• #106817
                                                                                                        Civilianresponder
                                                                                                        Participant

For some reason the female Israeli soldiers fascinate me. B-)

• #106818
                                                                                                          First Sergeant
                                                                                                          Moderator

Thanks for the info on the new Arktis smocks. I have an old SAS smock in DPM that I wore for years. It is now retired. I have on of the B110 smocks in multicam. Great piece of kit. I will check out the new one.

Most Americans don’t “understand” smocks because they have never been exposed to them.

Stick with the boonie cap. A lot of things the IDF does works for them in their specific circumstances. Not so much anywhere else.

FILO
                                                                                                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                                                                                            Je ne regrette rien
                                                                                                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 50 reply threads
                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.