buying land tp get started

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Farming and Ranching buying land tp get started

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Ronin42
      Participant

ive bought houses, but never land before. im interest in seriously looking for about 20 acres, give or take (all i can afford atm)
        ive looked into it a bout, and im curious of what i can expect getting into into?
        any thing to look for on the preparedness front?
        water tables, or feasibility, etc…
        im mainly looking in west TN, but im open to other areas that are worth looking.

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
        some other schools..

part time tactical couch potato

Sitting Duck
        Participant

Could you clarify if you plan on developing? Build a house/camp, farmstead or keep it vacant?

Just a “prepped” farm or “make a living” farming?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Sitting Duck.
          Joe (G.W.N.S.)

any thing to look for on the preparedness front?

First look at the potential threats the location has.

Flood history, geologic instability, historical weather threats, man-made threats such as where is nearest Nuclear Power Plant* compared to prevailing winds, Level 4 Biolabs, military, industrial sites, etc…

*For example in a major grid down or even hard economic collapse that has workers abandoning Nuclear Plants or logistics disruption leading to no diesel fuel for cooling generators leading to a meltdown. Remember even decommissioned sites need cooling.

Water availablity, is there a well, has it ever run dry, if no well how much does one cost average for area.

Micro weather due to topography.

Sun, wind, or flowing water conditions for potential alternative power options.

Soil conditions, what can be grown there, growing season, what livestock is appropriate.

Politics of area, population temperament, unique laws, crime rates, Local and State taxes.

This is what initially comes to mind.

Robert Henry
            Participant

Checkout all of Joel Skousen’s books, buy them all. All are worth the read and pertinent to your plans. He’s old skewl and the real deal, unlike most of the new “prepper” authors/”experts” out there now a days.

Joe got you a great start- water? mineral rights?, access? Proximity to nuclear targets? Population density?

How will you make a living there?

IMO/IME it’s better to have less land that you OWN outright than more land with a big mortgage. I mean this will be your retreat right? You want to try to own it outright if at all possible. Also, everyone thinks they want 150 acres until they have to maintain it. The 20 acres we have is hard to maintain in addition to running a couple businesses.

Be ready to a new atmosphere. No one in the country gives a shit how things were/are done where you are from. It’s like that bumper sticker we use to see everywhere in Florida- “No one cares how you did it up North.”

It’s really easy to “out” yourself in the country like that and it takes years to get it back. Your always going to be “not from ’round here.” And you have to learn to be o.k. with that but try to assimilate to local atmosphere/culture, etc.

Good luck.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
              Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

First Sergeant

Another thing on water. If there is a creek running through the property, what is up stream off of the property? What could be dumped into it up stream?

FILO
                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                Je ne regrette rien
                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Ronin42
                Participant

Could you clarify if you plan on developing? Build a house/camp, farmstead or keep it vacant?

I want to make a retreat/retirement home, and develop as I can.

Another thing on water. If there is a creek running through the property, what is up stream off of the property? What could be dumped into it up stream?

That’s a good point. I’m hopeing to do like I’ve see , and set up a well system.

As for the belonging side, it wouldn’t be the first time ive moved across the country. I tend to assimilate, for the most part

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
                  some other schools..

DuaneH
                  Participant

SO I did the same thing back in 2010 and here is a brief of my story and lessons learned.
                    I retired in 2010 and I began looking for retreat land with the intent of eventually moving to it. At the time I was high ranking in the the relatively newly formed RWVA Project Appleseed. Through connections in this organization I became a regular at events in Missouri and upon hearing that I was looking for retreat land was immediately hooked up with appropriate land.

All was good. For a while. It was a 14 hr drive with me pissing in a bottle while driving. At the time when I wasn’t working it was no big deal to take off to there for a week or two at a time; however, after a while I got tired of living on a fixed income and I got ambitious. I went back to work part time and commissioned into the Army Reserves.
                    All of a sudden I didn’t have any extra time. That 2 days a month, 2 weeks a year is from before the GWOT. I have been to the property 2-3 times since 2012. Oh also, I rented a storage building out there and stocked it full of food and stuff I would need for my family to survive if we had to retreat out there. Due to the time constraints, I gave it up to a local friend in 2017.

@the OP. Western Tenn is a good place to look for retreat land. I liked it a lot when I used to go to Tactical Response. Even the local democrat politicians are freedom lovers there. Other places I would consider(and have actually been to) are Missouri, southern and western Kentucky, Arkansas and the parts of Oklahoma that touches AR. These would be some of my choices based on population density, climate, water availability and access to a minimal level of civilization.

You would have to think real hard about WY, MT due to the harsh winters and lack of water. Having spent time in most states if you have questions about other states lemme know. There are plenty of isolated spots in like Iowa and Kansas, but as it is fields are far as the eye can see you might suffer from a lack of infrastructure.

Lessons learned:
                    1. Make sure you get a place close enough to monitor on a regular basis.
                    2. Being part of the local community is invaluable. If you just buy a place and even if you move there, you will be seen as an outlander for quite a while. When I bought my land there were already several Appleseed Instructors living in the area and when I would go out there I got to rub elbows with the locals and being introduced as a friend is invaluable.
                    3. Land is good. Community is better. ’nuff said.
                    4. It is better to live in your retreat than to have a retreat to retreat to.
                    5. While I didn’t have any problems, get a lawyer before you buy.

Sitting Duck
                    Participant

Ronin, I’m a little dense. You said “Make” and often the desire to build something from nothing is the motivation and unfortunately the poison.

“Never plan on living in the first house you build” was some very wise advise given years ago.

Currently there’s significant changes coming to the economy. Housing and land are very likely to be not only on the market but in demand. (WSJ has reported that moving companies have been taking bookings for ‘as soon as lockdown ends’ of people who have had it with NYC and other Blue states.) I don’t know how many folks will end up evicted/ foreclosed but if it’s like the aftermath of ’08 expect “battlefield pickup upgrade” to be there.

The first generation of homes truly equipped for elder care and the challenges of getting old are coming on the market. It’s expensive to build a home and expensive to modify or get out of a place because of joint surgery, stroke, cancer and all the other stuff life likes to surprise us with.

Good chance that you could find a place ready to go but if “Making it” is the goal you won’t be happy.

Good luck, I really hope you get a perfect spot.

As a farmer on lots of land I know I can’t defend. Land that people know has food, game, a place they already dump trash/tires (getting rid of stuff can be a valuable as procurement). I can only fantasize about having a place in an airpark community. I expect commercial air travel to be a fatality of the plandemic.

Ronin42
                      Participant

idk about what you been through. however ive seen a few examples of family (parents and both grandparents) buying the land, or being inherited it, building, and living till they pass. all but my parents, and only because they are still alive.

i thought about the failed attempt thing, worse case, i could sell it. i have to try though, sometimes you don’t know until you do.. that being said, i will keep your advice in mind.
                        i was wanting to by in a year, so if there is a price increase, and the burst, ill know before i buy. im not in a rush atm.

i like the people of Tennessee ive seen so far(limited i admit), and i expect a bit of outsider space.. ive moved from Louisiana to Alaska, to Texas, back to Louisiana, and now Georgia…so im not unaccustomed, for what its worth.
                        (im an tactical response alum too and valor ridge, funny that…)

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
                        some other schools..

Ronin42
                        Participant

big 3 wishes are: resource availability, privacy, and community.

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
                          some other schools..

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.