BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights)

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Optics BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights)

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

Weapons sights have come a long way in the last 20 years. From fixed power scopes to adjustable power scopes to red dots sights to micro red dot sights. They are almost indestructible. Notice I said almost.

Murphy will sneak up on you at the most inopportune moment. Batteries will go dead, lenses will break or mounts will break or come loose(As one of the students in the last CP class found out). Are you prepared for that to happen? While it may not happen that often, you need to be prepared for it.

Back up iron sights are cheap insurance. Get a set, mount them on your rifle, ZERO them and forget about them. I will say again, ZERO them. They are light weight and take up no room. Polymer or metal, whatever your preference. While you don’t need to train with them as much as you do with your optics, you still need to train with them so you know how they work and how to put them into operation(as the student mentioned above found out).

Everybody is trying to get to a lighter weight with their rifles or have less stuff hanging off of them, which is a good thing. Don’t be the guy or girl who needs a set of BUIS and don’t have them. It could mean the difference between being able to hit your target or just making noise.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Max
        Keymaster

Agreed.

Personally I’ve standardized on fold down 45 degree angle sights as the best overall compromise (for me). The Magpul Pro 45 degree are what I mainly use and recommend. (Although I slightly prefer the Knights 300m version in some ways.)

As an aside, might want to change “sites” to “sights” in the thread title. :-)

JustARandomGuy
          Participant

Back up iron sites are cheap insurance. Get a set, mount them on your rifle, ZERO them and forget about them. I will say again, ZERO them….

Seriously. What’s the point of ANY sight if it’s not set to shoot where you point it?
            I have actually run across folks here and there that have weapons they have owned for years and never zeroed…
            I know it’s hard to find actual land to shoot on, and I hate public ranges as much as the next guy, but literally ANY range in America that allows rifles will have the facilities to allow you to get a decent zero on the thing….

Per the lightweight thing- if you’ve ditched your backup sights to save a few measly ounces, and then tell me this is your “go to SHTF” weapon, you need an IQ check.
            Some folks just don’t understand where the line between “lightweight” and “practical” intersect.

Corvette
            Participant

I have iron sites with back up iron sites..

Mike Q
              Participant

Wait, wait, wait. You mean to tell me I have to aim? Come on! They shoot from the hip and make head shots in the movies all the time!

Corvette
                Participant

Sadly even for me here in Alaska is difficult to find a place to shoot safely w/o driving more then a hour and 1/2 north. Its one of many reasons I stick to Iron Sites because I cannot regularly prove a scope and as much as I go to the wilderness its just not cost effective or safe.

First Sergeant

Agreed.

Personally I’ve standardized on fold down 45 degree angle sights as the best overall compromise (for me). The Magpul Pro 45 degree are what I mainly use and recommend. (Although I slightly prefer the Knights 300m version in some ways.)

As an aside, might want to change “sites” to “sights” in the thread title. :-)

Thanks. That’s what I get for posting late at night.

FILO
                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Max
                    Keymaster

Yeah that Knights Armament Rear sight… It is the best folding rear sight hands down. 500m hits on a “E” silhouette target with that thing. (KD range, adjusted for elevation of course) Just awesome.

jwf
                      Participant

Well I don’t have a lot of experience with BUIS but I own Troy,Fab defense, and magpul sets and I’ve done some beating on them, we dropped them from shoulder height onto the sight then dropped them off my buddy’s shop then put them on my buddies torture test rifle then we through it out of his truck at 50 mph and they all passed except the polymer diamondheads he had. The thing that made me like the Fab defense sights are there weight,ease of use and ability to hold zero they are a mix of steel and polymer but I picked them over even my troy for my emergency rifle , :scratch: while my buddy likes the troy flip sights. Its also worth noting that the Fab defense sights are used in the military so it is a battle tested design.

jmj
                        Participant

I’ve never used the 45-degree ones, but have thought about them before. I like the conceptual idea of how it works. But do they? Obviously practice is your friend, but what tips are there for flipping the gun and shooting like that? I’m guessing that the BUIS goes on the right side of an AR so shells go up?

BrigandActual
                          Participant

I agree with one caveat. If a mounted BUIS interferes with effectively using your chosen primary optic, then go without. It’s better to correctly employ the thing you know you will use (your primary optic) than to compromise it so you can have something you might use.

The example that comes to mind is the standard TA-31 ACOG with its notoriously short eye relief. If mounting a BUIS means pushing the optic forward and compromising your ability to quickly employ the optic (or forcing you to hold the rifle in a less than optimal fashion), I’d probably go without the BUIS.

That said, if I was in that situation, I would probably be looking for an alternative to the primary optic that allowed me to keep the BUIS and use the primary optic (like switching to a TA-11). Or, as Max said, use a different BUIS system that lets me keep the optic back far enough and still have the primary optic employed (offset irons, KRAM mount, etc.)

Corvette
                            Participant

I am guessing that this is outrageous blasphemy to you’all, but I go just the other way (for my needs and application). I prefer no optic mounted on firearm, but carry a handy optic on Quick Release mount, should that need arise. And sometimes carry two optics preset for different range or lighting, or foliage applications.

Mrhounddog
                              Participant

Have any of y’all used the Magpul BUIS rear with the adjustable elevation wheel? It looks like it might provide the extended distance capability some folks want from a BUIS. I have used the KAC rear sight, and I like it, but I don’t like the price.

BrigandActual
                                Participant

Have any of y’all used the Magpul BUIS rear with the adjustable elevation wheel? It looks like it might provide the extended distance capability some folks want from a BUIS. I have used the KAC rear sight, and I like it, but I don’t like the price.

I have one on a BCM 20″ Gov’t rifle mounted behind an ELCAN SpecterOS4x.

It’s a nice little sight. But, being honest, if was to do it again I would stick with the standard MBUS Pro metal sight. The elevation wheel is a nifty gizmo, but I just don’t think it’s all that useful. From talking to a Magpul rep, they averaged out the drop between 5.56 and 7.62 guns with various barrel lengths and made that the BDC notches. In other words, they’re not as close as you’d really want iron sights to be for any particular load. Also, given that they are back up sights, the elevation wheel is honestly overkill.

Mrhounddog
                                  Participant

Quote: “given that they are back up sights, the elevation wheel is honestly overkill.”

I personally agree with you. I am a veteran iron sight guy, but the eyes no longer cooperate, so BUIS are just that to me “back up.” However, my son with the eagle eyes could put something like the KAC to good use. I was just wondering about the Magpul since I have not used it. The BUIS on our M4s, the MaTech, has elevation as well as windage adjustments. It is an okay sight.

Atlas Shrug
                                    Participant

I also ended up standardizing on Magpul 45 degree sights. Like Max, I think the KAC is better in some ways, but price and availability made Magpul the win for me.

Yankee Terrier
                                      Participant

I used a Primary Arms micro red dot and magpull BUIS and always used all of them, that is the “irons” and the red dot “co witnessed” which they did..using them all turned out to be fast and really accurate…

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.