Bose TriPort Tactical Noise Canceling Headset

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews Bose TriPort Tactical Noise Canceling Headset

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Bose makes outstanding audio gear. I’ve used their products within military in a variety of settings.

TriPort® Tactical Headset
        Military studies show that reducing noise improves mission effectiveness. During mounted combat operations, the ability to communicate intelligibly within them becomes more and more important.

Building on more than 22 years’ experience in providing military headsets, Bose continues the success of the TriPort Tactical Headset. It is designed specifically for use in wheeled armored vehicles such as the Stryker, MRAP and HMMWV.

Features and benefits
        Full-spectrum noise reduction
        Proprietary technologies allow a narrow profile earcup with full-spectrum noise reduction. The technology in Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headsets reduces environmental and mechanical ambient noise significantly, increasing safe exposure time more than tenfold over that provided by passive headsets. Redesigned control module supports both mounted and dismounted operations.

Comfortable fit
        Narrow-profile earcups allow a comfortable fit with many ballistic helmets. In addition, the TriPort Tactical Headset is up to 33% lighter than conventional noise reducing tactical headsets. The proprietary, ergonomic design of the ear cushions and the internal earcup volume ensure good fit over a wide range of head and ear sizes.

Talk-through capability
        This user-selectable, binaural feature permits monitoring of the ambient sound environment. Crew members can disconnect from the vehicle intercom system and communicate with other crew members standing nearby or listen for threats—without removing their helmets. Internal circuitry prevents transmission of extremely loud noises, protecting the user.

Compatibility with CBRN protective equipment
        The TriPort tactical headset may be operated with CBRN (chemical – biological – radiological – nuclear environments) protective masks, allowing the user to realize the benefits of clearer audio and noise reduction even in the most challenging environments.

Flexible boom microphone
        The flexible boom allows easy, precise adjustment and may be mounted on the left or right earcup, depending on user preference. The modular design of the cable / boom microphone assembly facilitates field replacement and adaptation to different intercommunications systems.

These cost the military $980.00 per headset when first released. I bought the headset from one vender in USGI new old stock still in original packaging and the microphone/control module from a separate vendor, again will dealer in sealed original packaging. In unused new condition I’ve seen these going for around $250.00, I have $55.00 invested.

I like the fact that this headset can be worn with a properly fit PASGT helmet. They are that low profile.

When used with an vehicle ICS they have active noise reduction unless talk through feature is in use. It can be modded to use ANR without vehicle ICS.

The talk thorough function provides a 5 db gain to your natural hearing while providing hearing protection.

Pictured with my newly refurbished/upgraded PASGT Helmet.

Control module provides 240 hours of talk through with one AA alkaline battery. Push to talk both momentary and open. Talk through on/off.

Connector that can be used to connect to vehicle ICS or radios.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The thing I dislike about the cool guy highcut helmets is reduced protection. I tend to lean towards if I am going wear be stuck wearing a helmet, might as well have maximum protection.

YMMV ;-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Ok to use these for our purposes will require manufacturing an adapter cable. This could be either hardwired or with a AJ-107BRS phone connector.

I am leaning towards the AJ-107BRS.

Tentatively my current plans are two-way radio left ear, scanner monitor right ear, and active noise reduction switch to enable hearing weak radio signals in a high noise environment when talk through function is off.

wheelsee
            Participant

How well do these do with the sharp crack of small-arms fire??

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

How well do these do with the sharp crack of small-arms fire??

The older generation ones worked well, I’ll let you know in a couple of hours.

I am going to go out back and fire off my loudest firearms to find out! :yes:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

One thing I lack when discussing this headset is any experience with current top of the line electronic hearing protection.

The newest non-military equipment I’ve used is pre-9/11.

Those had significant white noise when amplifying safe sounds even without wind noise. The return to amplified hearing was noticeably sluggish.

I am a fan of the Nacre Quietpro Tactical Combat Headset with its in ear buds and safe sound amplification. I’ve written previously about these, but the new old stock supply of these seems to have dried up.

The problem with earmuffs in my environment is you can find your ears swimming in sweat! :yes:

Hence my Nacre Quietpros preference, of course earmuffs provide superior protection.

So I carted out back a variety of weapons including 9mm, 5.56, 12ga, .303, and 30-30.

I fired single shots, rapidfire, and bursts.

Couldn’t identify a sound cutout, loud noises seemed like they were just quieter. Some of these strings were with a radio playing in background to provide a continuous sound source. It never really seemed like I couldn’t hear radio during firing.

I do not have equipment to quantify these observations, but I am happy with results.

For $55.00 dollars I am positive you will not find a better slim profile headset.

Understand you will need a basic technical background to manufacture adapters as none are commercially available at this time. If you have a friend who would show you how, but if you have to pay someone to build adapters it may be prohibitive.

I will try to find someone with high end earpro to compare with.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With talk through function activated there is a faint white noise in background. No issues with gentle breezes next storm I’ll see how high wind noise affects them.

rampantraptor
                    Participant

Well damn, here I just spent over $300 bucks for some Comtac IIIs to fit under my ACH and Joe is finding bargains :whistle:

noahjones
                      Participant

Is there any specific adapter AJ-107BRS cable you recommend. The ones I have looked at almost cost as much as the hearing pro. Are you leaning towards manufacturing a cable yourself or is there another product that fits our needs?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Is there any specific adapter AJ-107BRS cable you recommend. The ones I have looked at almost cost as much as the hearing pro. Are you leaning towards manufacturing a cable yourself or is there another product that fits our needs?

At this time the only option is to build your own adapter or modify existing cord to your own specifications.

noahjones
                          Participant

If you decide to make your own please share you got me interested with this setup.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by noahjones.
                            Joe (G.W.N.S.)

If you decide to make your own please share you got me interested with this setup.

I’ll do a write up discussing the function of each wire and my final decision with description.

The AJ-107BRS connector costs around $40.00, everything else is relatively cheap.

The two minor complications will be separate comms for each ear and enabling the Noise Cancelling feature (requires a separate power source) as a selectable feature for listening to weak comms in a high noise environment.

The noise cancelling feature needs to be a protected switch to prevent accidental activation as I don’t want to be electronically deaf by accident.

Alternatively just removing the AP-107BRS connector and wiring it for my specific equipment is easy and a low cost solution.

Note: Anyone who actually wants to get this headset/mic/control module should talk to me first as there is the TTH (depicted) and the TTH Series 2. The series 2 has some minor differences that make mic/control modules incompatible between the two. A brand new complete TTH or TTH Series 2 will cost significantly more than sourcing the headset assembly and mic/control module assembly separately like I did. Choose the wrong components and it will be a much bigger modification project.

The inner workings of the headset are particularly small and not for the inexperienced tinkerer.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

A used set could very well need repairs to make it function before modifications.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

A interesting issue as I’ve been using just the talk through feature is getting used to better hearing.

Obviously between military career and getting older my normal hearing isn’t what it once was.

JohnnyMac
                                  Participant

I couldn’t find any NRR rating. They obviously provide protection, I’m just wondering how much.

wildbill
                                    Participant

I’ll do a write up discussing the function of each wire and my final decision with description.

Any luck with the project?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Any luck with the project?

Been using them “as is” when shooting. Very comfortable.

Have the wires mapped, just haven’t decided on whether to use a AJ-107BRS or cut and splice.

Hasn’t been at top of my priority stack.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.