Book: Recce

View Latest Activity

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

I’m nearly finished with the book Recce, by Koos Stadler. I would definitely recommend giving it a read.

It’s a memoir from a soldier who served in the South African Defense Forces for 26 years, spending the majority of the time with Small Teams. Their mission set was clandestine sabotage and reconnaissance. They generally operated without any support, in 2-4 man teams, in incredibly hostile environments. He does a good job going through some of their notable missions.

Lloyd
        Participant

:good:

One of my favorites!

MVT Texas 2015-2020
          Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

tango
          Participant

Added to the amazon list :mail:

D Close

on it :good:

docwheels
              Participant

Wish there was a kindle/nook version…

wesmc
                Participant

Wish there was a kindle/nook version…

There is a Kindle version. I just bought it by mistake. Thought I was buying the paperback version. Oh well, guess I’ll get to reading. :-)

Combat-2-Gun
                  CTT
                  CQB
                  19D20 Cavalry Scout 3d ACR Desert Shield/Storm
                  Mountain Biker

wesmc
                  Participant

OMG!!! The Kindle version is in a foreign language…german, I think. Damnit!!! Afrikaans Edition, it is. :wacko:

Combat-2-Gun
                    CTT
                    CQB
                    Mountain Biker

Max
                    Keymaster

Afrikaans?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

OMG!!! The Kindle version is in a foreign language…german, I think. Damnit!!! Afrikaans Edition, it is. :wacko:

Contact customer service they’ll give you a refund.

Max
                        Keymaster

HaHa. BFYTW!

I just ordered it.

In English.

:unsure:

Lloyd
                          Participant

HaHa. BFYTW!

I just ordered it.

In English.

You’ll love it!

Also, if you have not read it, “The Bush War in Rhodesia” by Dennis Croukamp is also an excellent book. Something interesting (and relevant to MVT) is that, after 13-14 years of fighting he said something like “we did it all out of an old British small unit tactics manual”… Croukamp said they tried to develop “new and improved” methods, but found that the basics, done well, were as good as it gets. He even points out that the “Drake Method” of “cover shooting” was discussed in that manual, and he could never understand why Lt. Drake got the credit for “inventing it”.

MVT Texas 2015-2020

wesmc
                            Participant

Contact customer service they’ll give you a refund.

Ok, got a refund for the Afrikaans Edition…WTF-ever that means? Ordered up the hardback.

Combat-2-Gun
                              CTT
                              CQB
                              Mountain Biker

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

WTF-ever that means?

At the 1:51 mark, that’s Afrikaans!

…and the rest of the chase scene!

Bob
                                Participant

Ordered it this morning. :good:

Bob

TC
                                  Participant

Thanks for the recce-mendation. Looking forward to reading this. Also ordered In Service of the Sultan by Gardiner and House to House by Bellavia.

Max
                                    Keymaster

Just received. Will begin shortly. I have met and worked with some of these guys in the flesh (when they were, later, mercenaries). Great guys.

First thing I noticed was talk of 2 man recon teams. Before, I have written posts about ‘lone operators.’ So, given our complaint about never having enough guys, we could use the idea of 2 men to begin a tactical discussion.

Let’s read the book, and maybe start a separate post. 2 man team application, where you have no choice becasue you don’t have more. Useful to many here?

farmer
                                      Participant

I think there is definite merit there.

Lloyd
                                        Participant

…2 man team application, where you have no choice because you don’t have more. Useful to many here?

I would say useful to MOST here!

Something related to my reference to Croukamp’s book – I seem to remember him also talking about working in 2-man recce teams. Unless I’m remembering wrong, he mentioned that 2-man recce teams left a smaller “footprint”, and therefore were less likely to be compromised, and were harder for the enemy to track.

Key point for readers to remember is that these guys obviously were not looking for a fight, but rather trying to remain as invisible as possible.

MVT Texas 2015-2020

First Sergeant

Once you get into it you will find that the size of the teams depended on the mission.

Recce is a good read.

Another one to go along with it is “Journey Without Boundaries” by Colonel Andre Diedericks.

amazon.com/Journey-Without-Boundaries-Operational-Experiences/dp/192016958X

The author of this book is mentioned several times in Recce. They both did missions together.

FILO
                                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                            Je ne regrette rien
                                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

JohnnyMac
                                            Participant

Useful to many here?

Yep, the nature of their small team size was one of the top reasons I recommended the book.

And that’s crazy you worked with some of them!!!!!!

zeerf
                                              Participant

Yep, the nature of their small team size was one of the top reasons I recommended the book.

adding to list! thank you.

JohnnyMac
                                                Participant

Another one to go along with it is “Journey Without Boundaries” by Colonel Andre Diedericks

I’ll definitely check that out. What a soldier!

EDIT: $60 for a copy, groan :-(

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There is more to life than Amazon! ;-)

Journey Without Boundaries (pb)
                                                    By MM Diedericks

Price: $22.00 (softcover)Prints in 3-5 business days
                                                    …and…
                                                    Price: $47.12 (hardcover)Prints in 3-5 business days

JohnnyMac
                                                    Participant

Thanks for the find Joe!

For the record, I did do a quick google search. Google didn’t reveal that website to me though. Barnes and Noble has a nook electronic version for $12.99…but who wants that?

Off track, but the world shaped by Google’s algorithms has a much bigger impact on people’s perception of reality than most realize…kinda creepy.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

For the record, I did do a quick google search.

My primary search engine for use is DuckDuckGo.

I’ll do a Thread on search engines shortly on how to escape Google’s grasp on your perceptions! ;-)

farmer
                                                        Participant

Thank you in advance Joe.

zeerf
                                                          Participant

There is more to life than Amazon!

I am finding this more and more lately with many items.

My primary search engine for use is DuckDuckGo.

I’ll do a Thread on search engines shortly on how to escape Google’s grasp on your perceptions!

:good:

Max
                                                            Keymaster

Really enjoyed Recce, my cup of tea. Something does not ring right though, and I know he distances himself from apartheid in the book, but how does he just carry on with a career in the new government, as one of the top level special forces Recce guys? Attache to Saudi Arabia? I know a lot of South Africans got out, given also the white genocide going on there. Yet his photo in the book with wife in Saudi is straight out of the career army photo album! Could have been taken outside any officers mess in the UK!

I am on the “A Handful of Hard Men.’ Enjoying that. Was reading with glee how about 150 of them wiped out thousands in some Mozambique commie training camp. Loved it. Would have loved to have been their going cyclic on the gooks! :yahoo:

RobRoy
                                                              Participant

My PH’s father was a colonel in the apartheid era SADF and the PH was a captain in the post apartheid SADF.

Lloyd
                                                                Participant

Breathing new life into this thread… because I’m a “Rhodesia geek”. One more book recommendation:

Three Sips of Gin, by Timothy Bax

MVT Texas 2015-2020

Roadkill
                                                                  Participant

Just read Three Sips of Gin. Good read. Some interesting stories, and Tim Bax has quite a sense of humor. This goes from his youth in Rhodesia, through the fall, and time in South Africa. So, it’s a little more than just Selous Scouts bush stories. Still interesting. I did think the stripper story was quite funny.

Incipient
                                                                    Participant

Quick tag so I can find this later.. need some new reading material.

In an initial stage; beginning to happen or develop.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Recce: Small Team Missions Behind Enemy Lines Kindle Edition is now available in a English edition.

I have the hardcopy version, but like the convenience of kindle as well. I’ve gotten attached to audible books, but Recce is not available in that format.

The kindle text to speech function works well once you get used to the computer accent. I find the Aussie computer accent more agreeable.

Alternatively having Alexa read to me is quite good, assuming you know how to manage it to maintain privacy.

LittleBigBill
                                                                        Participant

Just came across this thread and searched for the book… $28-$42… ouch.
                                                                          Half Price Books has it for $17. I’ll look for it later at my local stores.

• #138615
                                                                          LittleBigBill
                                                                          Participant

Well, the book is not in “any HPB store” according to my local store, so I ordered a “new” on from a third party. Looking forward to the read!

• #139670
                                                                            D Close
                                                                            Moderator

I finally got the English version. I enjoyed the book, especially after HEAT Reconnaissance Class. As comms are a real interest for me I really enjoyed the different solutions they were able to come up with, given the technology available. HF was an important tool. They sometimes had a “telstar” relay, that seemed to function as an airborne repeater to use VHF from a ground team to their TOC.
                                                                              These guys were inside the wire of their targets; so close they sometimes needed to use wigs and make-up! The tales of life without air superiority should provoke thoughts in our tactical minds…
                                                                              The level of planning required for these missions was impressive. Very professional and disciplined guys. The book goes into a good bit of detail about weapons and equipment that I found interesting.
                                                                              This book led me to another called “A Handful of Hard Men” about the Rhodesian SAS. South Africa sold out Rhodesia after supporting them for years. The British completely betrayed Rhodesia to ZANU and Mugabe. We also have to mention the US role. Jimmy Carter and Andrew Young. I’ll start a new thread for that book when I finish.

• #139672
                                                                              Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                              Moderator

This book led me to another called “A Handful of Hard Men” about the Rhodesian SAS.

Yea Max has mentioned that when this thread started, a very good look at how winning battles is not enough.

Viewing 36 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.