Body armor questions

View Latest Activity

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      wheelsee
      Participant

Ok, my brain is swimming. Keep in mind, I’m a noob. While I wore Level IV vests (actually Level III with a trauma plate in the front – considered Level IV at that time) in the early 90s, a LOT has changed.

Having perused the archives, I’ve basically settled on the Level III from bulletproofme.

Basic questions – various cuts (Mil, SAPI, shooters)?? Basic sizes (from the video 1st Sgt posted, nipple-to-nipple and suprasternal notch to 1″ below the diaphragm)?? Curves (flat – no, single versus triple)??

Any suggestions?? Definite no’s??

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’ve basically settled on the Level III from bulletproofme.

So your talking the rifle plates Ultra-light Level III PLUS? Correct?

If so your have two choices the 10″ by 12″(~9.75 by 11.75″) Shooters Cut for $239:

Triple Curved

For Front or Back

Only 4.7 lb. ( 2.1 kg.)

…or the SAPI Cut rifle plates with price and weight depended on size chosen, all of which are triple curve with the exception of small size.

This eliminates most of the questions/choices mentioned.

Personally I would pick based on closest size match. If you have questions on which way to go size wise just ask, but post your measurements from First Sergeant’s size Thread.

:good:

wheelsee
          Participant

9″ (nipple-to-nipple) x 12″ (from suprasternal notch to 1″ below the diaphragm, as measured lateral aspects, appears to be midway between the xyphoid and the umbilicus)

TC
            Participant

My post disappeared. Here it is again:

I have the Medium SAPI cut, gave more latitude in which plate carriers it would fit into. Not so much the height and width, but the angle of the corner cuts, which are standardized among SAPI sizes but all over the place in the 10×12’s among the various manufacturers.

The good stuff like Crye, Mayflower, and Tyr are intended for SAPI cut but 10x12s may fit some of them. The Mayflower APC will do 10×12 shooter’s cut but leave a 1″ gap at the top. Tyr will only fit SAPI. Crye from what I heard does 10×12 but there will be gap at the bottom people tend to fill with a strip of foam.

Note that the bulletproofme III are slightly smaller (by 1/8 to 1/2″) compared to standard SAPI but the cut angles are the same. This only matters if you’re trying to fit a larger plate into a smaller carrier. For example, the bulletproofme 10×13 Large SAPI will fit into a medium Mayflower APC, whereas a standard Large SAPI might not.

Triple/multi curve for the front plate, or you’ll bust your chin looking down. For the back, doesn’t really matter.

wheelsee
              Participant

Triple/multi curve for the front plate, or you’ll bust your chin looking down. For the back, doesn’t really matter.

So understanding that the front would be something similar to the Medium SAPI. Here http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

And the back could be the less expensive 10×12 Triple-Curved.

???

Looking at the Mayflower APC http://www.skdtac.com/Mayflower-Assault-Plate-Carrier-APC-p/mfr.512.htm

TC
                Participant

For the measurements you listed, the Medium SAPI III seems right on. For the back, that’s what a $20 difference… I would get a matching set to ensure maximum carrier compatibility. Like what if you get a different carrier one day but the front fits but the back doesn’t, that would be a d’oh moment.

I had the APC. It fits “high and tight”, is versatile with the chest rig clips, kangaroo pocket, admin pockets at the top, and the three row MOLLE on the cummerbund easily fits side plates. Minor downsides: no padding or spacer mesh for cooling, elastic on cummerbund exists but isn’t stretchy enough, and adjustment strap on the rear plate pocket (to hold plates upward) makes a bump in line with the spine which only matters if your back is in need of muscle. Pay attention to the cummerbund sizing to avoid going too small… if you’re in between sizes, get the bigger length because you can always overlap the velcro ends in the back.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Triple/multi curve for the front plate, or you’ll bust your chin looking down.

Since a x-small isn’t an option all of the plates on that page are triple curve.

For the benefit of others who are reading this, how you are built factors into this.

For example in a perfect choice situation a flat plate in back would be my best option since my back is broad and flatter than most, but when selecting these plates I wouldn’t worry about perfect comfort in exchange for significant weight savings.

9″ (nipple-to-nipple) x 12″ (from suprasternal notch to 1″ below the diaphragm, as measured lateral aspects, appears to be midway between the xyphoid and the umbilicus)

The nipple to nipple is a good general rule, but what if your nipples were closer together than average? What coverage given the choices can you achieve? Which area would you cut coverage in a pinch?

For me the vertical or height is somewhat more important, my experience says it’s more difficult under austere conditions to deal with shots to the diaphragm and upper chest so this is somewhat bigger deal to me than side to side, within reason anyway. Of course you don’t want to overdo height where you lose more movement than necessary.

So understanding that the front would be something similar to the Medium SAPI. Here http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

Since you should have a somewhat better grasp of anatomy than most, is there anything within reason to be gained by a different size?

And the back could be the less expensive 10×12 Triple-Curved.

Yes, for a little more weight and coverage you save some money, assuming your choice of carrier can accommodate such combination..

Or you could go with two mediums at 8.4 lbs saving .5 lb; vice the two different sizes, for a extra $20, losing only a 1/2″ in coverage side to side and gaining a 1/4″ in the vertical.

Lastly newer plate carriers like the Crye AirLite series has options for different cuts SAPI vs Swimmers.

First Sergeant

Good info here.

Buy two plates that are the same. Don’t get a SAPI front and something different for the back.

Based off the measurement you gave, I would go with the large. The medium is going to be cutting it close.

I would rather have too much coverage than not enough.

FILO
                      Signal Out, Can You Identify
                      Je ne regrette rien
                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                      Participant

Thanks folks!! Good info.

My only real experience is with the Level III soft with a 6×8 (IIRC) trauma plate over the sternum. When the MP5 was shouldered, there was little change in position as the soft armor extended up towards the clavicles and into the shoulder (but not covering).

The hard plates are new to me. Just want to make sure I’m looking at everything before buying something non-returnable.

Daniel
                        Participant

This thread and previous comments by Max prompted me to get a set of the Ultra Light Level 3 Plus from Bulletproofme and put the steel Patriot Plates away. Ordered on Friday and have them snug in my PC before Noon the following Wednesday.

No comparison. But you pros already knew that…

tango
                          Participant

@mdbjjc some good info here

farmer
                            Participant

Buy two plates that are the same. Don’t get a SAPI front and something different for the back.

Silly question time- Why? :unsure:

Feel?, Carrier mfg’s won’t make carriers with 2 different style holders?

First Sergeant

Silly question time- Why? :unsure:

Feel?, Carrier mfg’s won’t make carriers with 2 different style holders?

A lot of carriers are designed for certain cut plates. Plus the way it rides on your body.

I like the SAPI cut for ease of movement.

FILO
                                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.