Base Camp.

View Latest Activity

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

I started on one of many base Camps I plan to use here in Alaska in my over all E&E plan. These are part of a system and a plan im putting together using supply caches along routes to get out of the area. Its taking much longer then i thought, Bear raided it twice and ate my shit up.. But I persevered and pressed on. Nothing worth having happens fast.

My friend Norman visits this site and Id like to thank him for letting me use his land for this current shelter. Thank you Norman!

And I got to hand feed another wild moose..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGdhAFG4K8M

First Sergeant

Like you said, nothing worth having happens fast, nor is it handed to you, you have to work for it. A lot of people don’t get that. Keep up the good work.

Really liked the moose feeding. That was very cool.

FILO
          Signal Out, Can You Identify
          Je ne regrette rien
          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Corvette
          Participant

Thanks. It will be worth it when i get it all sorted. Not only if/when the hammer drops but ill have places in the wilderness i can go to if I’m in trouble.

Yeah the moose was awesome. I couldn’t believe it happened twice in my life..

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Excellent work Bergmann!

To everyone else, think about how this practical exercise could help in a real SHTF situation.

Yes, many are planning to hold in place, some have an alternate location, but what if these become untenable due to unforeseen variables?

Have you planned for this?

Do you really understand the reality of building from the ground up?

Have you cached some gear to aid in this effort?

I have built (in the past) a more permanent camp in a extremely remote location that required hiking in building material over a period of months.

I suspect most will not go to this effort, but I highly recommend taken this challenge at least once for the reality check it provides.

Learn what works now when you can just pack up and go home if things go wrong, vice making these mistakes when your life or even worse case, your families life is at stake!

Corvette
              Participant

Thank you for your support.

Ive found me training mixed with active planning is the best route. Its saves time and teaches lessons I would not experience otherwise..

Bergmann

Corvette
                Participant

Two new vids for this project..

Andrew
                  Participant

Really enjoy your videos. I’m not sure, based on where I’ve lived for the last 35 years if I could adapt to your area. I’m more used to 100 degrees plus than anything under about 35F.

Great stuff you are doing.

Corvette
                    Participant

Really enjoy your videos. I’m not sure, based on where I’ve lived for the last 35 years if I could adapt to your area. I’m more used to 100 degrees plus than anything under about 35F.

Great stuff you are doing.

Thank you. It seldom gets that cold in my area anymore. In fact we are suppose to have 1.5 feet of snow and once against we are at a serious shortage already at just barely 3 inches. Its ok though. Lessens the danger and things i need to worry over..

But Im glad you enjoy them and you get something from them. Thank you for your support.

Max
                      Keymaster

That looks like a sweet setup! I only have the smaller black bear down in my neck of the woods but I would love to hear first hand what you have found to work and not work as far as bear proofing your cache. I know nothing is bullet proof but if you have some learnings please share! Good luck!

Corvette
                        Participant

That looks like a sweet setup! I only have the smaller black bear down in my neck of the woods but I would love to hear first hand what you have found to work and not work as far as bear proofing your cache. I know nothing is bullet proof but if you have some learnings please share! Good luck!

I have learned to keep cached supplies split up into autonomous containers but in the same general area. What most ppl would stick in one cache container i have split into several in the event man, beast or nature compromises them. When I think of where to stash them i consider animals and snow and aim for places where both are scant. Example is that i have some buried on rock faces where snow will not congress and bear really have no reason to be (but never a guarantee, bear should be considered flying Ninjas that are everywhere). I have stashed some up trees too. I have a couple suspended from cord hanging off cliffs hidden by brush too. For me its elevation that has kept my supply pods relatively safe and secured.

The staple of my pods are simple commercial sized condiment containers sealed with permatex and reinforced with appropriate materials like industrial plastic sheeting and gorilla tape. There are better containers but budget dictates tactics in the reality of it.

As to bear proofing my shelter, nothing has worked but winter arriving.. This will give me 8 months of no bear worries.. I don’t worry about wolves or Coyote.

Bergmann

Corvette
                          Participant

Max
                            Keymaster

Ever run into them Alaskan Bush people from Discovery?
                              /Sarcasm

Impressive shelter you’ve built there. Reminds me of building beer huts in the woods with friends when I was younger. Just better put together

Corvette
                              Participant

No.. those scum bag are going to go to jail for theft from the Alaska PFD fund.. they are white trash..

Thank you for having a look and the compliment..

Bergmann

Corvette
                                Participant

Fort Wilderness Over-night II

Also i have closed my site permanently. Ill work on making better vids in the future.

Bergmann

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Good stuff as always.

Have checked out your YouTube videos since closing site.

Corvette
                                    Participant

Thanks… My vids are not very entertaining but I see that as a good thing. Its actually work going out there. I wont fudge it for rating, i just keep it as i can get it. I just hope to inspire others to go do something..

Good to hear from you..

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well if you feel the bug to write up something we always got space for practical stuff.

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.