Bartering: A lost skill set in CONUS.

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Bartering: A lost skill set in CONUS.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Part of your IPB was to identify local sources for anything you use.

Then do some business with them to develop rapport, at least enough so they recognize you. Always better to know who your dealing with.

Bartering goods is very possible right now, assuming you have what they need.

Bartering a service you have is more difficult unless you are truly known, but this maybe more common if things get worse.

Example:

I recently acquired 1000 rounds of 12ga 2 3/4″ #4 buck and 2000 rounds of 9mm in exchange for some of my storage goods. It was a comparable trade at current prices, however my barter goods were purchased on sale quite some time ago.

Ultimately we were both happy! :yes:

If things get worse, these are skills needed.

Ronin42
        Participant

interesting, ive heard of bartering stuff during this, but i may still be to close to a city to see much of it.

ive thought about it with local farmers, since i live near a few. but most seem to be hunkered down

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
          some other schools..

part time tactical couch potato

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

You have to find out what people need and what you have.

Remembering sometimes you trade with someone else to get something the other can use to get what you need.

Start small, work up! :good:

Ronin42
            Participant

thanks, will do

mvt alumni CTT & DCH
              some other schools..

part time tactical couch potato

wheelsee
              Participant

Don’t let the “city” prevent you from trying.

At its core, bartering is between individuals trading goods/services for goods/services.

As Joe said, it’s all about networking. In the middle of the DFW metroplex (~7 million people), I personally know of IT guys swapping services for dental work for family, medical providers swapping a calf for prenatal and delivery services.

You never know unless you ask. I saved ~ a hundred dollars several years ago on tires. The shop didn’t charge extra for using a credit card that I know charged them 3%. I paid cash, with them knocking 2% off (my suggestion) my total – they made extra (1%) and I saved (2%), win-win. (Not a true barter but did require negotiating).

Knowledge is power in life.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by wheelsee.
                SeanT
                Keymaster

You have to find out what people need and what you have.

Remembering sometimes you trade with someone else to get something the other can use to get what you need.

Start small, work up! :good:

Start Small

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.