Automotive Security Window Film

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Security Automotive Security Window Film

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With Max’s Thread Mobility: ‘Actions On’ Mob Attack, I thought I would show a passive method of hardening a passenger vehicle side windows.

While not indestructible it, seems to be a cost effective alternative to other options.

Eddie
        Participant

Very interesting. Any idea what it costs for full sized SUV?

wheelsee
          Participant

Company website here http://northamerica.llumar.com

tango
            Participant

Never seen that. Thanks Joe.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Any idea what it costs for full sized SUV?

The film is about 8 times the cost of typical cheap films.

Labor is the same as any other tint/film job.

LLumar authorized dealers can quote an exact price and it is cut to size by computer for standard vehicles.

It can be purchased in rolls for DIY.

Max
                Keymaster

I like it.

But I have to laugh: the ‘laboratory tests’ involve a dude smashing a window with a rock….!

Everything has a flip side – what is your greatest threat? This will really help in a mob situation, so long as you can push through the crowd or they will have you anyway…but you will not be able to smash the window if you have to do an emergent exit, for perhaps a fire or water.

This became an issue in armored SUVs, where we had one particular medic who had burned his hands trying to get a buddy out of a vehicle that was immobilized and burning. Of course, you can’t smash the windows, and it was locked from the inside. The guys burned to death. After that, we got the info on how to pop the windshield on the armored SUVs.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Everything has a flip side – what is your greatest threat?

No doubt there!

I admit I like this more for it’s security aspect than concern for a mob attack.

Since it buys time, but is not impervious, emergency egress for say a unplanned water entry; happens in Florida more often than you think, could still be accomplished by CCW.

Extraction by others would be delayed as a trade off, though not to the extent of real armored windows.

Still, Max makes an excellent real world point. :good:

Weigh your options and make your choice. :yes:

Anonymous
                    Inactive

It probably comes down to a cost/benefit analysis – am I more likely to have someone smash my windows in or to need to kick myself out of a sinking or burning vehicle? In my case, probably the former, for some of you more rural folks, perhaps the latter.

Harris
                      Participant

This stuff is very similar to the hurricane film that can be applied to the windows of your home. Yeah, it keeps the glass from shattering and resists 2″x4″s from flying thru the glass but it does nothing for the window frames.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Bump.

Healthhokie
                          Participant

Very interesting. Thanks for posting Joe. Will follow up. You answered my question about a water exit…shoot it out I guess..

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

For more detailed information regarding Emergency Vehicle egress from a body of water.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Bump due to events

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.