First Sergeant

AR’s

Colt
        BCM(Bravo Company Manufacturing)
        Daniel Defense
        LMT(Lewis Machine and Tool)
        Knights
        Larue

Parts-from the same companies listed above. They can be ordered either from the website of the companies or through places like Midway or Brownells.

If they can’t find an AR from one of the above companies, get a PSA or S&W MP-15. Be aware that there may be issues with either one right out of the box. Most of those issues can probably be corrected with parts from one of the companies listed above.

@Max

ALCON, This is not a post to debate what you think is good or to debate which one you like the best. The time for that is past. This is to help people get good stuff in their hands now. If you have an online vendor that you have had good luck with for parts from the above listed companies, list them here.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

AWS18
        Participant

Geissele carries colt bcg’s. Every one I’ve ordered from them has been a white dot. Seems they’re actually on sale for $156 at the time of this post.

https://geissele.com/colt-bolt-carrier-group.html

CQB 04/19
          Heat 1 06/19
          Heat 2 08/19
          CLC 10/19

josdupesko
          Participant

The following url is a good source for Colt parts. http://www.specializedarmament.com/%E2%80%94-parts-kits/

JustARandomGuy
            Participant

Going to put Sionics Weapon Systems in the ring as well.
              As far as I can tell from people I trust, they are GTG. I have owned a couple rails and LPKs from them and I see no reason not to agree.

http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/

DiznNC
              Participant

I have had real good experiences with rightobear.com. I have built several rifles with parts from them. Zero issues. Quality parts, fast shipping, great prices.

Agree with 1st Sgt; time is past arguing about this stuff, get set up, now.

R Young
                Participant

Aeroprecisionusa.com

DiznNC
                  Participant

Back up to the OP, 1st Sgt has it covered. There are many other choices out there, that with time and money you can build into a good rifle. But if you are pressed for time, then a Colt 6920 should be your first priority in finding and acquiring. On sale at Arms Unlimited for 975. Gen II P-Mags are 10.95 at SGAmmo. Also 1,000 rds M109/M855 for 279.

Mike Q
                    Participant

Diz,
                      I have access an 80% lower from right to bear arms and they were not good. Both of the lowers had to have their pivot and takedown pockets increased because they were too small for a BCM upper. Other then that they were fine but other lowers are already the correct size. I can’t say anything about any of their other parts so I may have just had a bad batch…

DiznNC
                      Participant

Hey Mike! Yeah I get ya, it seems they have gone a little further into the low-end these days. I have had real good luck with their BA bbls, but some of their other stuff is definitely low end. Especially when you get into 80% kits and so forth. But no time for that stuff these days. That’s why I posted again with sources for Colts, mags, n ammo. Not everyone has the wherewithal, or time to build stuff these days.

DuaneH
                        Participant

@1SG.

In your opinion does FN make your list?

I toured their factory here in Columbia 5 years ago and was impressed.

I toured PSA about the same time and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

First Sergeant

@1SG.

In your opinion does FN make your list?

I toured their factory here in Columbia 5 years ago and was impressed.

I toured PSA about the same time and was thoroughly underwhelmed.

From the ones I have had my hands on, No.

FILO
                            Je ne regrette rien
                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

DuaneH
                            Participant

Good to know as I was pondering one vs a BCM.

Anything specific?

First Sergeant

Good to know as I was pondering one vs a BCM.

Anything specific?

Overall feel of the rifle. They did some clones a couple of years ago. Several guys wanted them because they carried FN’s while deployed. FN screwed up the roll marks. if they can screw up something as simple as that, what else do they screw up. Remember, they are not allowed to use anything from the TDP for commercial sales.

Think about this, how many do you actually see in the wild?

FILO
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

DiznNC
                                Participant

PSA has had some QC issues, up and down over the years. It is a decent product, at a very good price point, IF you have the time and wherewithal to tear down, inspect, and rebuild as required. So if you or one of your mates has the tools, parts, n knowledge to do it, GTG; if not, then definitely BCM, as between the two of them.

Funny, current Recoil mag has article about building a “Blue Collar” AR, by their meaning, the lowest priced POS they could build. Their conclusion was you’re better off buying a PSA parts kit, that you upgrade as required, than try and build a parts gun from low-end dealers. Unfortunately like rightobear these days.

So yeah, point being, PSA is the lowest, usable rung of the ladder these days. Unless you’re strapped for cash, go with something else on the list. Like the Colt, which is at a comparable price point to all the rest. So why not.

First Sergeant

For The “Just as good” File. (When “Just as good” Really Isn’t )

FILO
                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

DuaneH
                                    Participant

SO 1SG your preference?

BCM or Colt?

First Sergeant

SO 1SG your preference?

BCM or Colt?

Colt.

If you can’t find one go for BCM.

FILO
                                        Je ne regrette rien
                                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.