Army wants a new 6.8mm round

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Ammunition Army wants a new 6.8mm round

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Red Warrior
      Participant

https://www.army.mil/article/212883/army_developing_new_enhanced_night_vision_goggles_squad_rifles_to_increase_soldier_lethality

Interesting. They are going to field a new IR/Thermal system and want a new rifle that uses a 6.8mm round. I wonder if they will just use the 6.8SPC? I’m looking forward to discounted surplus 5.56 ammo if this happens! :good:

BrigandActual
        Participant

I doubt this is going anywhere.

IMO, we’ll move away from 5.56 when we move away from traditional brass cases. A whole new ammunition design necessitates a new rifle, that’s when we’ll see something change.

First Sergeant

IMO, we’ll move away from 5.56 when we move away from traditional brass cases. A whole new ammunition design necessitates a new rifle, that’s when we’ll see something change.

What he said.

FILO
            Signal Out, Can You Identify
            Je ne regrette rien
            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

JustARandomGuy
            Participant

I would guess that this is the case as well- I think this is merely the military pitching their “want list” for whatever next-gen weapon they’re going to want to implement, given that I’ve seen a few other releases floating around about new types of ammo being resurrected/researched.
              All the 6.-whatever fanbois need to chill… haha

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Acquisitions like this happen for one of two main reason with some overlap at times:

1. Political

The M17 is a recent example of this.

2. Perceived superior performance

None of these rounds provide usable increase in performance that is significantly better than current issue.

Red Warrior
                Participant

What he said.

Good to know! I thought I’ve seen requests like this before. 5.56 for 10 cents a round would have been nice though! The Army is dreaming and so am I.

DuaneH
                  Participant

5.56 for 10 cents a round? If we could turn the clock back to 2007. I wish I had known then what I know now.

Springfield 1861 musket.
                    Trapdoor springfield
                    Krag-Jorgenson
                    1903 Springfield/1917 Enfield
                    M1 Garand
                    M14
                    M16 Family.

With MAYBE the exception of the switch from the Krag to the 1903, every time a new weapon was adopted, there was a significant evolutionary leap with every change.

The issue is that with the current M16 series of weapons that changing the caliber does not provide an evolutionary leap. While a 6, 6.5, 6.8 mm may offer some advantages to the 5.56 it is not the amount of difference as say the Musket to the Trapdoor or even the Garand to M14.

Also keep in mind that the switch from the M14 to M16 wasn’t necessarily the next step US combat rifle development. It was a rethinking of the way we fought and finding a rifle to fit that. The M16 wasn’t specifically designed to do the same things as the previous rifles (lots of lead at long range.) It was designed to do something different (More lead at closer ranges).

What is going on is every few years a committee in the Army explores the idea of adopting a new weapon or cartridge and it makes news.

Unless the United States reverts to the Total Participant Involvement mindset towards war (like we had in WWII), there probably won’t be any changes like that until we are at a peacetime capacity.

As has been stated above, it will probably be precipitated by the next evolution in cartridge development IE: Caseless.

(I suspect that the semi-caseless round will probably be more practical)

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.