AR550 targets vs 5.56

View Latest Activity

• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 4 days ago by fabio. This post has been viewed 149 times
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony S
      Participant

I’ve got some land up in WV and was thinking of setting up some steel targets. I know at the CQB class we used frangible rounds. The manufacturer of these 550 plates claims that they can be shot as close as 25 yards without pitting. Does anyone have experience with these type of plates? I’m planning on engaging them at ranges from 25-100m, do you think it’s safe to engage those type of targets at those ranges with typical 55gr type ammo? I’m assuming anything closer I should for sure use frangible.

Mike
        Participant

I have ar500 steel targets i shoot green tip at them 10yds and out. Does it wear them out faster, maybe. My last set lasted 5 years, 8″ plate is $30 bc steel $100. They dont pit where I have to worry about bounce back, when they wear our they crack.

Tony S
          Participant

Mike – Thanks! That’s good to know. I was a little worried about deflection if it got badly pitted.

Roadkill
            Participant

If the are angled like maybe 15 or 20 degrees that would help direct spall down and also help with the longevity of your plates. This, rather than hitting them square to the face.

Tony S
              Participant

If the are angled like maybe 15 or 20 degrees that would help direct spall down and also help with the longevity of your plates. This, rather than hitting them square to the face.

I’m looking at mounting on 4×4 posts and using this to mount it:

2×4 Target Mount

From the few pics it appears it would have a slight downward angle. If it’s not at 15-20 degrees already, I can probably shim the mount. Thanks for the tip!

fabio
                Participant

I’m looking at mounting on 4×4 posts and using this to mount it:

I use the T-post version of this mount. I’ve found a T-post is easy to replace after getting shot out.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.