Anyone else into archery?

View Latest Activity

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Eric
      Participant

Hey guys…

thought archery, and some semblance of mastery of it might be an interesting topic of discussion.

I never really thought much about it until I was back in my home town last thanksgiving visiting a friend, and he whipped out this hoyt carbon element bow that was the coolest fucking thing I had ever seen. It looks kinda futuristic and primitive all in one package.

Carbon element

The carbon element is one of the best, and most sought after bows out there. It weighs like 3 pounds, can have a draw weight up to 70 pounds, and shoots close to 300 feet a second. the problem with is is the price tag. Twelve hundred bucks for a new one.

So, not wanting to spend that much, I shopped for a month leading up to christmas, and bought this as a gift to myself.

Rampage

It is a Hoyt bow also, the Rampage XT Bone Collector edition. Retail on this bow is almost $900.00, but it was a 13 model, and they had it marked down to like $600.00 for the bow, and I spent another two hundred buying a sight, some arrows, a quiver, and a release. It weighs just over four pounds with no accessories, and has a max pull weight of sixty pounds, and will shoot at a claimed 287 FPS.

I shoot it about once a week, anywhere from 40 to sixty times at distances of anywhere from twenty five to seventy five yards. I have actually gotten pretty good at it. Anywhere from 25 to 40 yards, I can hit the bullseye 95 out of a hundred times. When I don’t, it’s because I jerk or waiver. The longer distances I am not quite as consistent, but getting there.

I think that in a SHTF situation, if stealth is of the essence, being good with a bow to kill food, fish, or whatever else may need to be killed will be a valuable addition to the repertoire.

Anyone else?

P.S. For your viewing pleasure, a huge mule deer kill at over a hundred yards with a bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ri6U74eIvE

WastedSkin
        Participant

Archery has crossed my mind a few times lately and is definitely something I’d like to pursue but there are so many more practical toys/gear I still want to get first. Also, OFFGRID magazine did a short article on takedown recurve bows in their most recent issue as a post SHTF tool. I’d love to give it a shot but can’t say I’m putting any money down to play Robin Hood just yet.

Eric
          Participant

Archery has crossed my mind a few times lately and is definitely something I’d like to pursue but there are so many more practical toys/gear I still want to get first. Also, OFFGRID magazine did a short article on takedown recurve bows in their most recent issue as a post SHTF tool. I’d love to give it a shot but can’t say I’m putting any money down to play Robin Hood just yet.

If you watch craigslist, and the local paper, you can find some good deals. A lot of guys get the bug like I did, go buy a whole bunch of shit, and then never use it, and sell it cheap.

Just make sure if you buy one to take it to a shop and get measured, and have it set up for you. The compound bows are not one size fits all.

Max
            Keymaster

I need to get back into it. Was into compound bows and then went back to the recurves of my youth. Preferred the simplicity. Can’t say I was that good. Could hit a head size target at 20-30 yards and that’s it. There was just something meditative about going into the back yard after working and shooting the bow.

JohnyMac
              Participant

Eric, I bought a PSE compound bow awhile back. Had a great time doing woods walks and went deer hunting too with no luck :cry:

When I went to buy the bow I tried out a bunch at the shop as they had a indoor range. Well my grouping looked like a shotgun blast until the salesman took away my right handed bow and gave me a left handed one. I started grouping right away.

So it turns out I was right handed but left eyed. :scratch: Anyway, now I know why I shoot a handgun better using my left eye. ;-)

Eric
                Participant

Eric, I bought a PSE compound bow awhile back. Had a great time doing woods walks and went deer hunting too with no luck :cry:

When I went to buy the bow I tried out a bunch at the shop as they had a indoor range. Well my grouping looked like a shotgun blast until the salesman took away my right handed bow and gave me a left handed one. I started grouping right away.

So it turns out I was right handed but left eyed. :scratch: Anyway, now I know why I shoot a handgun better using my left eye. ;-)

That’s interesting Johnny…

my 9 yr old is left hand/right eye dominant. He is one of my deaf kids (3 of my 5 boys were born deaf) and it has been hard trying to get him dialed in shooting. How does one teach that?

Max
                  Keymaster

Check out local pawn shops after bow season is over and you will find a good deal. A couple of years ago I found a Browning compound in brand new condition for $90. Don’t recall the model off the top of my head though. I’ll dig it up and let you know but just wanted to say that archery is so much less expensive than firearms so deals can be had if you look for them.

Bill G.
                    Participant

Bow hunting is my passion!

Bill G.
                      Participant

Bowhunting is my passion

Max
                        Keymaster

If your looking for a bow I saw that a bow that had excellent reviews without the hefty price tag is a PSE Drive X-Force with a pull weight of up to 70lbs and it shoots at over 320 feet per second. There is an ebay store that sells bows and they have the complete RTS package for $455. I just ordered one after having learned on an 15 year old PSE compound. Archery is great I can’t wait for bow season to start. Also there is a new bow sight out there that if you sight in the 20 and 30 yard pins it automatically adjusts the pins for the 40, 50, and 60 yard ranges.

blue
                          Participant

You can find great deals at archery shops right after hunting season on brand new bows that are about to become (gasp) outdated technology.

You may even be able to convince an archery tech to sell you his current bow once the new bows come out–techs get special prices from manufacturers, and like to shoot the latest equipment.

One word of caution is that if you buy used, most manufacturers don’t have transferable warranties–only the original registered owner is covered.

Andrew
                            Participant

How does one teach that?

Draw pictures? That’s a serious reply. With pictures he might be able to relate with a little coaching.

blue
                              Participant

There are some really great videos on proper technique that probably have close caption, but some quality one-on-one coaching is a great route. My favorite videos are the Robin Hood Videos, but that may be a little too boring for an 11- or 12- y/o.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.