AmRRON: Communications for Preppers, Patriots, Redoubters and Partisans

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Radio & Communication AmRRON: Communications for Preppers, Patriots, Redoubters and Partisans

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 weeks, 1 day ago by SeanT. This post has been viewed 759 times
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

AmRRON: Communications for Preppers, Patriots, Redoubters and Partisans

MISSION STATEMENT

Founded in 2011, AmRRON was originally created as a communications network to keep communities and states within the American Redoubt connected in the event of a major disaster situation, or socio-economic collapse. Within a year, over half the members consisted of those living outside the American Redoubt. AmRRON has now grown to nearly two thousand radio operators, with members in every state, plus Puerto Rico and Canada. In January, 2014, AmRRON merged with TAPRN, making it the largest conservative mostly-Christian radio network outside of a faith-based organizational structure (such as Salvation Army and LDS).

AmRRON is a network of Preppers, Patriots and Redoubters who have volunteered to keep each other connected when other means of communications are unavailable or unreliable. AmRRON operators participate in scheduled nets to practice using non-conventional communications.

Although, AmRRON has interoperability with other preparedness and patriot networks, we strongly encourage other communications teams to develop their own, communications plans in the event that AmRRON becomes disrupted or compromised. Groups who have AmRRON operators as an integrated part of their disaster/preparedness plans:

– Community Preparedness Networks
        – Prepper Groups
        – Patriot Organizations
        – Families and Individuals
        – Church-operated disaster preparedness teams
        – Militias
        – Oathkeepers
        – Various ARES & RACES groups
        – Ham clubs

Types of AmRRON members

HAM OPERATORS:

Use their equipment and skills to keep the American Redoubt connected and informed, to coordinate the efforts of Redoubters, and to promote the American Redoubt movement. Many of them have capabilities that allow them to stay connected across the entire American Redoubt, as well as with other Redoubters and patriots (and other redoubts that will emerge in the future) across the country and even in other countries. They may also relay relevant information, alerts, coordination of efforts, and promotion of the American Redoubt movement to Redoubters in their local area using the CH3 Project frequencies. The frequency bands that are covered by many Ham Operators include HF (shortwave), 2m, 72cm, CB, FRS/GMRS, and MURS.

RELAYS:

Although Ham operators are also expected to perform Relay functions, dedicated ‘Relays’ are typically operators who have volunteered to monitor for radio traffic from other Redoubters, and then Relay that information across their local area, or to a Ham Operator, who can then pass the information on to others in the network. Most Relays have at LEAST one type of CH3 Project communications, such as a CB (Citizens Band radio), FRS (Family Radio Service), or MURS (Multi-Use Radio System). But they generally SHOULD have some type of communications that can monitor for radio traffic from Ham Operators, such as a high quality shortwave (with Single Side Band) radio or a police scanner (typically from 30mhz to 800mhz), or both. This way they can hear traffic from many, many miles away and relay that to Redoubters in their local area using CH3.

AmRRON CORPS:

AmRRON also has a paid membership, called AmRRON Corps. The AmRRON Corps team is group of communicators dedicated to learning and being involved at a higher level. AmRRON Corps members have access to experience operators and are able to have direct communications with other members via the ProBoards forum. This is an amazing group of communicators and have become a strong team by working and learning together. If you are willing to learn we would love to have you on the team!

This is worth your time and could be particularly useful in introducing others to this important subject:

“Comms Up!” and “COMMS UP 2 Parts 1-4” are prepper docudrama’s illustrating the importance of a good communication plan from a preparedness perspective while introducing the American Redoubt Operators Network (AmRRON) and the Channel 3 Project from Radio Free Redoubt.

COMMS UP 2! Project Is Completed!

This is good solid information and no need to reinvent the wheel, remember this doesn’t replace your Group Comm SOP.

Keeper
        Participant

AmRRON is great place to learn about Ham operations. I have listen to a lot of their pod cast and such. I know they have a Sunday night net on HF. I am working toward getting my HF radio (FT-857) to be able to join in. I think that most people here on the site should have some form of communications other just a cell phone. If the grid every went down you need a way to get information to and from.

DiznNC
          Participant

Very good idea.

“John has a long mustache”.

(“The Longest Day” for you kiddies.)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

AmRRON is great place to learn about Ham operations.

I certainly don’t want to discourage people from getting Licensed, but there are legitimate options for unlicensed or what AmRRON calls CH3 Project communications, such as a CB (Citizens Band radio), FRS (Family Radio Service), or MURS (Multi-Use Radio System) and monitoring gear.

This is an important option for those that won’t/can’t go HAM route.

Looking into AmRRON’s information is not just for HAM’s!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

“John has a long mustache”.

AmRRON’s Black Echo Project is also worth looking into.

The Black Echo Rebroadcasting Station Project

Operate your own Radio Free Redoubt rebroadcasting station and keep others informed!

Black Echo re-broadcasters operate their own commercially-available or home built low power FM and AM transmitters. In an information black-out, when commercial broadcasting may be spurious or non-existent, they will act as sources of information and reassurance to their communities on the FM and AM dials.
                Expect to hear:

Live Streaming Radio Free Redoubt broadcasts (During grid-up situations)
                Previously-downloaded RFR and other podcasts, music, old time radio, books on tape, radio drama stories, etc.
                Live AmRRON Nets radio traffic, where they will act as their own
                Live Commentary & Public Service Announcements from RFR Rebroadcast Station Operators, and who may also step into the role of DJ, talk radio host, news anchor, or public information spokesperson

Excerpt:

Let’s talk about what is legal right now…

To transmit ‘legally’ without a license, under the FCC Rules, a transmitter must be limited to transmitting a maximum distance of approximately 200 feet. Of course, we see violations of this in every community; Real estate advertisements at homes for sale, musical Christmas lighting displays, and other outdoor events. In many of these cases, it’s not uncommon to still receive the signal in your car for up to a half mile or more from the transmitter. These get little, if any, attention from the FCC. The commission tends to focus on the blatantly-illegal transmissions of pirate radio DJs and political stations that intentionally far exceed the legal broadcasting limits, and do so continuously or regularly and especially those who interfere with the signals of existing local commercial broadcasting stations. They’ll throw the book (and hefty fines) at those cases, and eagerly confiscate all associated items, including laptops, music collections, transmitters, antennas, etc.

With the Black Echo rebroadcasting stations, you’re not trying to break any laws. You’re simply broadcasting throughout your home and immediate vicinity within your neighborhood… until an emergency or ‘comms down’ situation. Save the max power and extended range for then, when it counts – When spreading news and information and saving lives is more important than a rule book written by bureaucrats in DC back when life was grand and orderly.

This could be an excellent Auxiliary role and do not underestimate the propaganda value this could have post event.

MVT Radio has a nice ring to it! ;-)

D Close

AmRRON has evolved the past few years. The latest T-REX this past July featured a complex information transfer via HF, VHF, UHF frequencies over the entire country. In addition, the use of sophisticated digital modes has increased greatly due to technology advances and poor radio propagation conditions. If you are wondering how to integrate tactical comms through operational and strategic levels, this is where you want to start.
                  T-REX 2019 featured a grid down scenario. Pre-planned messages were used to develop the scenario. Regional SIGCENs served as information collection and dissemination nodes. This collected info was used to develop a situation report and executive intelligence summary that was transmitted to other stations.
                  From a tactical standpoint, a team is going to be collecting information every patrol. Learning what to collect and how to assemble this into a coherent format is a vital skill. Real world events such as Hurricane Dorian this year and Florence, last year have provided excellent opportunities to use these skills. It is not easy to run a SIGCEN. If you have the interest and opportunity, AmRRON runs this exercise at least once per year, with a winter exercise thrown in too. The tie in to MVT is that the security skills you learn at MVT are required to protect the intel and comm operation that makes the patrolling more effective. I would urge any who embrace the tactical skill set to understand how you will integrate these skills into the larger picture in your AO. The last few years have been a journey. I’ve done the SIGCEN duties with MVT alumni and we walked away with an appreciation for the difficulties involved in running that kind of operation. It is daunting but very rewarding.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Their Comms S.O.I. is about to be updated to reflect what D Close is talking about.

Regardless of your communications capability I suggest getting AmRRON’s S.O.I. to use as a basis for your specific SOP and as a inter group standard.

Lots of good information.

Hessian
                    Participant

Some very good stuff here. As well as Joe’s short handhelds post.

I stumbled into the intel side recently through a YT rabbit hole. I can’t imagine how many “preppers” are ignorant in this specifically SIGNIT.

Joe and D Close keep the info coming. :good:

Anonymous
                      Inactive

Sounds like these folks really have it together, nice post!

D Close

More MVT tie ins to comm skills: The Reconnaissance Class brushes on the comm piece. Transmitting spot reports to higher. It is possible to use VHF or UHF, but realistically we are going to need HF. This is part of your reconnaissance team planning process. Questions you will need to answer before the brief: What PIR are we trying to answer? Which frequencies am I going to use? Which antenna will I need to reach the station I need to reach? Where am I going to site that antenna? How much power will accomplish the task? How long will I be on mission? How much battery power is required? What comm security will we be using? What is the destruction plan? Do we have all materials needed for that plan? Where does the RTO keep all his stuff? Does everyone know how to use the radio in an emergency? What is the back-up? SPOTREP. SITREP. There are various radio reports in the recon and patrol world you need to deliver. Digital. As close to burst speed as we can get. How are you going to carry this gear? Computer. Rugged or light weight? More battery power. What is the enemy DF capability? All messages need to be logged, incoming and outgoing. How are you going to do this?

SeanT
                          Keymaster

Locally I am part of an emergency comms group supporting the many hospitals within the Shenandoah valley. HF propagation has been horrible but we test anyway to record data on what does work. This is with B I G antennas and 100 Watt power. I have a hard time making 45 miles. But I could easily talk to another net in North Florida. I can blow the doors off another guy who is about 2 miles as crow flies from me….

Digital modes like Winlink email work better but transmit times are LONG; voice is really tough, Morse (CW) still makes it thru when voice sucks so you either learn it or use a computing device to translate for you. . We are coming out of the solar low cycle so it should improve but there are so many things that affect the ability to use radio communications.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by SeanT.
                            • This reply was modified 4 months ago by SeanT.
                            D Close

Locally I am part of an emergency comms group supporting the many hospitals within the Shenandoah valley. HF propagation has been horrible but we test anyway to record data on what does work. This is with B I G antennas and 100 Watt power. I have a hard time making 45 miles. But I could easily talk to another net in North Florida. I can blow the doors off another guy who is about 2 miles as crow flies from me….

Digital modes like Winlink email work better but transmit times are LONG; voice is really tough, Morse (CW) still makes it thru when voice sucks so you either learn it or use a computing device to translate for you. . We are coming out of the solar low cycle so it should improve but there are so many things that affect the ability to use radio communications.

This is an excellent point. Times are tough 😢 Having a backbone network of stations to receive reports and nets is vital and mitigates some of the issues you mention. The station that gets your sitrep may be 400 miles away but they can relay back to another inside your skip zone. This is one reason why I encourage all communicators to learn and use the AmRRON SOI and TTPs. Current practice using low bandwith modes like JS8, FSQ or Contestia digital modes can get a message out even in difficult conditions. As Sean says, it can be slow.
                              Every day there are persistent nets connecting stations across the country. I always see certain stations and others fade or shine depending on conditions. An operational mission plan will include comms and we need to know how to predict which stations will most likely be available to us at any given time. The right tool for the right job!

D Close

I posted this elsewhere as well but due to current events, AMRRON has set AMCON-4. No known imminent threat, but get ready.

AmCON – AmRRON Communications Condition Level

There has been message traffic passed down from National. It is always good training to attempt to obtain these via your own gear. It is possible to decode the digital messages with a $50 raspberry pi, a sound card and a hand-held radio with an after market antenna.

I strongly recommend you download the forms from the AMRRON website in the event you have information to pass. The format can and should be used for any emergency communications. If you happen to connect with an AMRRON operator he or she will need that information to relay.

AmRRON Forms

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This…

Regardless of your communications capability I suggest getting AmRRON’s S.O.I. to use as a basis for your specific SOP and as a inter group standard.

Lots of good information.

…and…

I strongly recommend you download the forms from the AMRRON website in the event you have information to pass. The format can and should be used for any emergency communications. If you happen to connect with an AMRRON operator he or she will need that information to relay.

…is something everyone should have, again regardless of your comms capability!

romeohotel-12
                                  Participant

D Close,

Thanks for the post talking about AmRRON and the annual T-REX exercise. One of the things that has become more apparent over the past couple exercises is the need for smaller exercises throughout the year. To answer this need, we have started to conduct quarterly drills focusing on specific topics. The last drill centered around getting messages out to the troops from the National leadership. I cant release yet what the Q1 drill will focus on but we think it will be beneficial to AmRRON and the movement.

RH-12

D Close

NEW AMRRON SOI 4.1C is OUT. A Masterpiece for $6. Totally updated to cover the current operation on HF, brevity codes, authentication, etc. Pure gold. :good:

SeanT
                                      Keymaster

Thanks D
                                        My copy is a bit old now
                                        RH12, Sorry I am going to miss the simplex net tomorrow night. I got your email ack today….

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.