Amazon Ring and Surveillance

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces Amazon Ring and Surveillance

• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by gatlinggun. This post has been viewed 258 times
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

This has been a long time coming, but consumer-based cloud enabled video surveillance is becoming significantly more common.

Of prime concern is how local/state/federal law enforcement use this technology. I would assert that this is a principal threat to privacy and civil liberties.

The Dangerous Implications of Amazon Ring

Hessian
        Participant

Not surprising. Its amazing how many spy devices people allow into their homes with out a second thought.

SeanT
          Keymaster

Not surprising. Its amazing how many spy devices people allow into their homes with out a second thought.

This is quite true. If you invite the spy into your house… that is on you. The point of the article is that your neighbors are creating ‘spy’ networks in which you are observed and in most cases you will be unaware. Sadly a lot of Americans barely understand this technology or the capabilities behind it. If you are old enough, you will remember the many VCRs in people’s homes where the clock just blinked the wrong time…..That same level of skill still exists. The difference is that the Internet connectivity sets the time for the ignorant.

gatlinggun
            Participant

Can’t wait until the “Internet of Things” is rolled out. Then your toaster and fridge will join your “smart” TV and “smart” phone in spying on you.

No thanks, I’ll pass.

AntMan
              Participant

It’s not even law enforcement that you need to worry about. Most of the defaults on the technology is so insecure every bored teenager that’s technically inclined is going to be able to pop their toaster.

2xcqbc
                1xclc

Healthhokie
                Participant

If I want to talk to NSA or the Agency, I will call them rather than speaking into Alexa.. :-)

RobM
                  Participant

Can’t wait until the “Internet of Things” is rolled out. Then your toaster and fridge will join your “smart” TV and “smart” phone in spying on you.

No thanks, I’ll pass.

Unfortunately this is becoming somewhat of a standard on mid-high end appliances. Most all new appliances are designed to be smart and be compatible with your phone, wifi, alexa, google assistant, etc…It’s designed to make you life easier. :negative:

I hate to say but at some point there won’t be a “choosing” of you put in your home (name that gadget, gizmo). At some point in the near future home automation will essentially take over.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

As long as there are thrift shops you’ll have options. ;-)

SeanT
                      Keymaster

I monitor one of the largest networks in the country for a living. Not just me ;-), it takes dozens of people to do this.I keep things in,and at the same time,keep things out. In principle it is basic. What quite literally has been lost is the fundamental understanding of internetworking computers. There is an entire generation that doesn’t remember the Internet before the world wide web was invented. People just accept the ‘magic’,push the easy button and get their widget to ‘work’. If you are serious enough to care, you should be serious enough to learn how it works and take the basic steps to secure your home IP network. Mobile devices are an entirely different story.The easiest way for a home user to keep the widgets from talking to the Internet without you explicitly permitting it, is called MAC filtering and that is a security option in your home router. If you have home Internet access and don’t know what or where your router is, you are way behind the curve.If you do know and have not logged into it , changed the default password and set up basic security options, you need to do some homework. Because there are literally hundreds of options out there, I will not try to teach you how to do it to your specific device but there are endless tutorials available to you, starting with the user manual for your router.

If you have comcast, they make it a little easier to identify devices on your home network but you still have to follow some basic instructions and do the work to identify the things. There is no magic button.

One other thing, there is no such thing as free on the Internet. If you did not pay for the product (for the most part), you are the product.

AntMan
                        Participant

As long as there are thrift shops you’ll have options. ;-)

We need to stock up while its available. It’s going to be harder and harder the more things are designed to break down so they have to be replaced.

I monitor one of the largest networks in the country for a living. Not just me ;-), it takes dozens of people to do this.I keep things in,and at the same time,keep things out. In principle it is basic. What quite literally has been lost is the fundamental understanding of internetworking computers. There is an entire generation that doesn’t remember the Internet before the world wide web was invented. People just accept the ‘magic’,push the easy button and get their widget to ‘work’. If you are serious enough to care, you should be serious enough to learn how it works and take the basic steps to secure your home IP network. Mobile devices are an entirely different story.The easiest way for a home user to keep the widgets from talking to the Internet without you explicitly permitting it, is called MAC filtering and that is a security option in your home router. If you have home Internet access and don’t know what or where your router is, you are way behind the curve.If you do know and have not logged into it , changed the default password and set up basic security options, you need to do some homework. Because there are literally hundreds of options out there, I will not try to teach you how to do it to your specific device but there are endless tutorials available to you, starting with the user manual for your router.

If you have comcast, they make it a little easier to identify devices on your home network but you still have to follow some basic instructions and do the work to identify the things. There is no magic button.

One other thing, there is no such thing as free on the Internet. If you did not pay for the product (for the most part), you are the product.

Additionally, if your provider offers free hotspots, eg spectrum wifi, they do it by piggybacking off of customer equipment.

Learning how stuff works is just as important for your networks as it is for the rest of your kit to keep it running and trouble free.

2xcqbc
                          1xclc

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Outstanding information as always SeanT! :good:

It’s easy to overlook how ignorant the average user is. Nothing connects online without my permission. Additionally I do not trust software alone to do this, whenever possible I use hardware disconnects to ensure this.

We need to stock up while its available.

Within reason sure!

Most of my appliances are as old or older than me and going strong!

The above mentioned toaster, mine was my grandparents and still works as good as it did when new (over 50 years ago). B-)

Or course I’ve repaired many things over the years as well, I don’t come from a disposable background.

gatlinggun
                            Participant

I got rid of internet service at my house about three months ago. My kids were addicted to it, as was my wife (facebook) and I. What a huge time waster!!

We now go to the local library and use their wifi (its where I am now, on my laptop).

I don’t have a “smart” phone, nor do I want one. I have a eight year old flip burner phone that works as…well…as a phone.

Stocking up on good condition older appliances is a good idea. This applies to vehicles as well. I have no need for any of the technology the manufacturers are now putting in the new cars and trucks. I don’t want my car to transmit data to whomever.

As time passes the powers that be will leverage technology more and more to completely control and enslave mankind and people will enthusiastically help them do it. Digital tyranny will be (is) very hard to combat. How to live outside the digital system?

Sometime next year, one must have a “vetted” driver’s license to board an aircraft domestically. This, at the direction of the feds. The feds mandating to the States on a state ID? How long will it take the Feds to usurp the States and issue a federal ID?

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.