Alternatives to BDUs/ACUs

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge Alternatives to BDUs/ACUs

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Anyone found a cheap alternative to BDUs or ACUs? My local surplus store is more like a retail store and its 30 bucks a pair. Online is about 20. I know I’m being a cheapskate but its also harder to find solid colors for cheap since theyre not surplus. I want tan or olive drab since I wear these primarily for hiking and outdoor activities and camo in this area is instantly branded as odd. Anyone found any particular brand of cargo pants comparable?

Corvette
        Participant

Actually 30 bucks a pair is not bad .. I pay more at Clothing and Sales… :unsure:

Max
          Keymaster

Just sucks since we’re on a budget. I”d rather buy a few extra pairs and be done with it as opposed to one a month. Oh well.

Corvette
            Participant

You shoulda been at the last or 2nd last CRCD.
              I gave away a couple sets ACU’s to a guy that were brand new but too small for me (grabbed the wrong size from a stack a few months ago)

JohnyMac
              Participant

Just a suggestion folks…

Since I am in-between jobs, MrsMac and I have been visiting some second hand clothing stores looking for everyday wear.

All of these store are owned and operated by women entrepreneurs who don’t think hunting and or camo gear is valuable. They always tend to have it on the back rack hidden in the corner.

If you are on a budget, cruise some of these shops. You may not know what you will find. ;-)

Max
                Keymaster

Guys check out Propper brand pants at tactgear.com. They have tactical pants for $34. I have been wearing these everyday for the last 3 years.

Max
                  Keymaster

inexpensive pants i have found to hold up to farm work. i like the Dickes canvas carpenter pants. pretty soild. around 16 bucks. I also like the thrift store not just for used camo but for used jeans. the material now is so thin compared to say 5-10 year old jeans.

Max
                    Keymaster

I completely agree about the jeans. Even Levis tear like nothing after a few months

JohnyMac
                      Participant

Levi’s went to a 10 oz denim from a 12 oz several years ago. Levi 501’s use to be 15 oz denim but that changed when they went off shore.

I think http://www.1791.com has 15 oz denim but I am not about to pay $160- for a pair of jeans!

5.11 tactical has well made pants and a lot of DEEP pockets. They go for a crisp Grant though.

For something cheap, well made and last for EVER, like what justincase wrote, Dickies can’t be beat! They come in many different colors like coyote, dark brown and I think dark green.

Max
                        Keymaster

Yessir, Dickie’s makes some solid clothing. When you grow up with mechanics, you learn that one young. Keep an eye on ebay. 5.11 and Under Armour make great pants you can sometimes pick up used, inexpensively. Cost out the eyes new. Same with Blackhawk and Vertyx, but I’m not quite as big a fan of the fit. Any decent used hiking pants will do you for awhile. Don’t be afraid to hit your local Wallyworld. Realtree stuff is actually pretty good as camo, even if the quality from WW is questionable.
                          There’s these dudes: http://www.rddusa.com
                          and
                          http://www.sportsmansguide.com
                          It can be hit, or miss, with those guys when it comes to quality. Lot of surplus though. Inexpensive, too.

SeanT
                          Keymaster

LApolice gear has some that I got for like 20.00
                            Double knees
                            Double seats
                            Solid colors
                            Easily worth what I paid
                            http://www.lapolicegear.com/la-police-gear-pants.html

Corvette
                            Participant

LApolice gear has some that I got for like 20.00
                              Double knees
                              Double seats
                              Solid colors
                              Easily worth what I paid

I’ll be sure to check that out! :bye:

Max
                              Keymaster

Big fan of Mountain Khakis Alpine Utility Pants, but they are expensive. They wear like iron although the cuffs eventually get a little frayed if you wear them until they can stand up and walk on their own like I do. With a good stiff gunbelt (like my Original SOE Gear EDC belt) in the belt loops they really do damn near need to be leaned against the wall when you take ’em off.

Corvette
                                Participant

I’ll echo the vote for Propper. Unfortunately, their pants are now made in the Dominican Republic. I kind of have a soft spot for that country since I did some relief work there a while back. Better than China anyway. 20-30 bucks really isn’t that bad. You won’t find a decent pair of jeans for any less. Try tacticalgear.com. The carry a couple different brands to choose from.

Corvette
                                  Participant

1 to the second hand stores. I recently picked like new propper brand woodland bus two pair for $11 a pair. One of those lucky deals that may never appear again.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.